• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

U23 races and talents

Page 43 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
His win on Saturday was very impressive, he dominated. He looks to be in good form going into l'Avenir and I'm intrigued what he can bring this year. With this years course I'm tempted to say he won't repeat last years feat, but he's a weird rider. Often when you expect him on his terrain he's nowhere to be found, and when you expect him to crumble in the high mountains he does so well limiting damage. With the downfall of CCC I'm wondering where he'll end up as well, in the right environment, say DQS, he could become an elite rider. Friuli is quitely becoming an elite program, with Jonathan Milan's emergence as well, and I haven't given up on Fabbro either.
They also have produced both Bais brothers, they are a great regional team and actually knownbfor taking it slow and letting their riders slowly develope, so there should be lots of room to improve for them once they turn pro.
Aleotti is more of a one day racer than a stage race, he admits it himself, so l'Avenir was mostly an outliner and to be honest it was a really strange race.
He's got a great engine, is a good climber (mainly on shorter climbs) and packs a decent sprint. The races he'd want to win are LBL and Emilia.

It is completely insane to cater a championship towards the lesser riders by excluding the better ones.

That's fine if they organize a championships for the pro u23s. Or is it more fair that Brenner has to race 250km against van der Poel or Alaphilippe if he wants to participate, than guys nearly 5 years older who are not pro, face Brenner? Which do you think makes more sense?
It is free to all to race in the mens WC race. So free for Brenner to race Alaphilippe. Nothing unfair. If Brenner is not up to it, don't become a pro.

The one who organizes a U23 category can descide what the definition is. It could be an age limit, or it could apply difference between amature and pro racers.
You don't have to give it more meaning then that.

From a UCI point of view, they know it takes time for riders to make it to pro level.
Not all have the body that allows them to be a silver meddle in WC ITT at 20. It takes a lot more time for most. At the same time there is the issue that for those not pro level yet it is hard to have good races for them. So UCI organizes this category for them. It is just the waiting chambre for pro riders.
If something could be debated it would be rather the age bracket. It could be just as well 24 or 25.
Don't see it as the best unter 23; just see it as the waiting chambre for pro. If you made it to the pros, no need to bother at that U23 level.

Last edited:
Basically, you want an amateur league. That's what i meant earlier.

And still it doesn't make sense, because, like i pointed out, you will now force riders to chose. Brenner (for instance) has no place in a pro WCC. He might however have a place in a pro team, which might actually make him a better cyclist. So according to you, he has to chose, ride a WCC with guys your age, or become better. I'm sorry, but this just goes against the spirit of the sport. You are either excluding the best riders, or you are clipping their wings.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Basically, you want an amateur league. That's what i meant earlier.

And still it doesn't make sense, because, like i pointed out, you will now force riders to chose. Brenner (for instance) has no place in a pro WCC. He might however have a place in a pro team, which might actually make him a better cyclist. So according to you, he has to chose, ride a WCC with guys your age, or become better. I'm sorry, but this just goes against the spirit of the sport. You are either excluding the best riders, or you are clipping their wings.
That is not me, that is the UCI who wants a waitings chambre for riders to become good enough to be pro one day. So yes, that is an amateur league ;-).
You seem to me too much focused on this age thing.

It is nice that you are worried about Brenner. You don't seem to have a lot of confidence in him for the coming years ;-). And if Brenner signs a WT team it is because he wants to race all riders, not just U23. Why would he care about guys of his age anyway?
But like Brenner there a a several hundreds of pro cyclist who will not be invited to the WCC, also +23. And maybe Brenner will not even ever ride a WCC when he is +23. He needs to be good enough to make it to the German team.
And if he one days stops being a pro, he can race in one of the many amateur leagues. Maybe they even have their own WCC.

Note that for the national championchips -at least in the Netherlands and Belgium, pro u23 riders have to compete in the pro NC and not allowed in U23 NC
So actual the WCC and Nation Cup are more an exception to general approach: U23 is first of all a waiting chambre, not about age -what you make of it.

Walter

That is not me, that is the UCI who wants a waitings chambre for riders to become good enough to be pro one day. So yes, that is an amateur league ;-).
You seem to me too much focused on this age thing.

It is nice that you are worried about Brenner. You don't seem to have a lot of confidence in him for the coming years ;-). And if Brenner signs a WT team it is because he wants to race all riders, not just U23. Why would he care about guys of his age anyway?
But like Brenner there a a several hundreds of pro cyclist who will not be invited to the WCC, also +23. And maybe Brenner will not even ever ride a WCC when he is +23. He needs to be good enough to make it to the German team.
And if he one days stops being a pro, he can race in one of the many amateur leagues. Maybe they even have their own WCC.

Note that for the national championchips -at least in the Netherlands and Belgium, pro u23 riders have to compete in the pro NC and not allowed in U23 NC
So actual the WCC and Nation Cup are more an exception to general approach: U23 is first of all a waiting chambre, not about age -what you make of it.

Walter
Obviously Brenner is just an example, but indeed i don't think he is the next Evenepoel, in that regard that he'll need more time to make the transition. I've said it many times before, but the number of wins doesn't matter nearly as much as the manner in which they were won. But that's a completely different discussion. I also raised the same point, that in case (like Evenepoel) the rider is eligible ("worthy") to ride a WCC with the big boys, that he will do so.

I could go on about your motivation to give the lesser boys a chance and why it doesn't make sense to block the few "Brenners" in order to do that. But i don't think that would make much of a difference. I'll agree to disagree on that one.

Obviously Brenner is just an example, but indeed i don't think he is the next Evenepoel, in that regard that he'll need more time to make the transition. I've said it many times before, but the number of wins doesn't matter nearly as much as the manner in which they were won. But that's a completely different discussion. I also raised the same point, that in case (like Evenepoel) the rider is eligible ("worthy") to ride a WCC with the big boys, that he will do so.

I could go on about your motivation to give the lesser boys a chance and why it doesn't make sense to block the few "Brenners" in order to do that. But i don't think that would make much of a difference. I'll agree to disagree on that one.
The point is more that there are not just Brenners or Evenepoels. They can make living of their sport at 19. But there are more Van Avermaets who need to become 21 before they are ready to make a step up. A 20 year old Van Avermaet had nothing to search in a race against the 19 year old Brenner. He would be no competition for Brenner. It is to have these riders grow that there is U23. Not for a 19 year Brenner to shine on a WCC against some amateurs.

Walter

And they can, throughout the entire year. We are talking about one or two races per year.
I don't understand what you mean here.
Do you mean that the WT unter 23 riders should be able to race the amateur unter 23 riders in a WCC?
Why would it be interesting anyway to have riders race each other in a WCC if they hardly race each other anyway during the year.
As said; they don't even do it in NC.

Walter

• * * * * *: Andreas Leknessund
  • * * * *: Stefan Bissegger, Jonathan Milan
  • * * *: Ilan Van Wilder, Thomas Pidcock, Florian Vermeersch
  • * *: Andrea Piccolo, Daan Hoole, Jakub Otruba, Marcus Wildauer
  • *: Ethan Vernon, Alexandre Balmer, Michel Hessmann, Miguel Heidemann, Jacob Ahlsson

My ''prediction''. Wanted to include Maciejuk and Leijnse as well, but the former seems to have only gotten worse, whereas Leijnse doesn't have any experience in the U23s.

Does anyone know where you can find a startlist for The Baby Giro?
Cycling fever has something: http://www.cyclingfever.com/editie.html?detp=view&_ap=startlijst&editie_idd=Mjk5NzU=
Certainly not up to date:
View: https://www.instagram.com/p/CEZP0VClSN2/

General Store:
Rocchetta
Tosin
Andersen
Baseggio
Mignolli
Visintainer

Last edited:
What's the top-centre guy from Trinity called?
And imagine being a cyclist called "Walker"...
Jacques Sauvagnargues. He's english but I believe has french heritage and I think he pronouces it So-van-yar-ga.

Trinity have an interesting team as a whole, in my opinion. There is a Brit whose name sounds French, two British riders who come from british islands that are self governing (Walker from the Isle of Man, Culverwell from Guernsey), two Irish riders who are by citizenship (Healy is from the Midlands and Newmark is from London). Then they keep up the trait of British conti of development teams having at least riders from Australia or New Zealand (Johnson is from NZ)

Last edited:
Reactions: postmanhat
Startlist on Cycling Fever has been updated a bit:

In addition to previous line-up press releases:
View: https://twitter.com/Lotto_Soudal/status/1299248809072103424

View: https://www.instagram.com/p/CEbRUPfI-Yf/

Colpack not sending Karel Vacek is a surprise for me, I don't think Tiberi and Piccolo are ready to fight for the win. When it comes to the Italians the best bets are Fancellu from Kometa and the Conca-Colleoni duo, they were really strong in the last u23 Giro (and are both turning pro with Androni next year). Aleotti shouldn't be a gc contender on the big mountain stages, but he can fight for stage wins.
An official startlist would be nice...

Jesus David Peña is starting with Tierra De Atletas. Not sure about his form, but last year he was demolishing the race in support of Ardila and Alba and finishing 7th himself. Route not really comparable to last year, but he'll have his say in the mountains.
Diego Camargo will apparently join him here, he is dangerous as well. It went down quietly, but he finished 11th amongst the pros in the Tour Colombia earlier this year, as well as 8th in the final mountain stage. Watch out for him too.

TRENDING THREADS