• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

U23 races and talents

Page 47 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Well, Pogacar had a nice run. Nothing lasts forever. :)
I mean he is getting old, UAE needs a replacement soon enough.
Is Ayuso seen as a gc prospect? Sure, he can definitely climb but I dont know him that well. Seems rather punchy judging by his results as a junior as well? Might also just be the case that he was one of the best as a junior, since the best riders in the junior category often dominate on every terrain.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
Is Ayuso seen as a gc prospect? Sure, he can definitely climb but I dont know him that well. Seems rather punchy judging by his results as a junior as well? Might also just be the case that he was one of the best as a junior, since the best riders in the junior category often dominate on every terrain.
I don't really know. Lots of international junior races got cancelled last year as well and he hasn't done too many of those.

Reactions: Sandisfan
According to a recent interview he prefers longer climbs.
Source: https://www.tuttobiciweb.it/article/2021/04/04/1617554587/trofeo-piva-juan-ayuso-colpack-uae-emirate

21 year old Alex Tolio just won the Strade Bianche di Romagna after a 50km long solo attack.

1. TOLIO Alex Zalf Euromobil Désirée Fior

2. VERRE Alessandro Colpack Ballan 42"

3. LUCCA Riccardo General Store Essegibi F.lli Curia 50"

4. HELLEMOSE Asbjorn Den - Velo Club Mendrisio 58"

5. GAROFOLI Gianmarco Team DSM Development 1'02"

6. PUPPIO Antonio Qhubeka Assos CT 1'05"

7. GINESTRA Lorenzo Aran Cucine Vejus 1'21"

8. ROMANO Francesco Velo Racing Palazzago 1'51"

9. GARAVAGLIA Giacomo Wokr Service Marhiol Vega 2'20"

10. BOTTA Davide Velo Club Mendrisio 2'24"

Source: https://www.tuttobiciweb.it/article...3/strade-bianche-romagna-alex-tolio-zalf-fior

Ayuso turned him himself inside out to win the final stage and the gc of the Giro di Romagna per Dante Alighieri.
60843cc1b7690139393d3f62-big.jpg

Stage results:
  1. Juan Ayuso Pesquera (Team Colpack Ballan) 124,3 km in 3h19'22" alla media di 37,406 km/h
  2. Paul Double (Mg K-Vis-Vpm) a 13”
  3. Michele Corradini (Viris Vigevano) a 19”
  4. Riccardo Ciuccarelli (Biesse Arvedi) a 27”
  5. Edoardo Zambanini (Zalf Euromobil Désirée Fior) a 35”
  6. Asbjorn Hellemose (Vc Mendrisio) a 35”
  7. Francesco Romano (Velo Racing Palazzago) a 38”
  8. Alessandro Verre (Team Colpack Ballan) a 40”
  9. Sean Quinn (Nazionale Usa) a 44”
  10. Giacomo Garavaglia (Work Service Group Dynatek Vega) a 46”

The final gc:
  1. Juan Ayuso Pesquera (Team Colpack Ballan)
  2. Paul Double (Mg K-Vis-Vpm) a 21”
  3. Francesco Romano (Velo Racing Palazzago) a 31”
  4. Asbjorn Hellemose (Vc Mendrisio) a 1’08”
  5. Michele Corradini (Viris Vigevano) a 1’15”
  6. Alessandro Verre (Team Colpack Ballan) a 1’25”
  7. Andrea Pietrobon (CT Friuli) 1’28”
  8. Riccardo Ciuccarelli (Biesse Arvedi) a 1’31”
  9. Giacomo Garavaglia (Work Service Group Dynatek Vega) a 1’35”
  10. Edoardo Zambanini (Zalf Euromobil Désirée Fior) 1’39”

Source: https://www.tuttobiciweb.it/article/2021/04/24/1619272016/giro-di-romagna-2021-ayuso-

Last weekend there was also the GP Industria & Commercio, a race that wasn't won by Ayuso (he finished 13th, back in the 2nd group).
The race was won by Paul Lapreira in a really close sprint form a 6 men group ahead of Jacopo Menegrotto.
607c633dd7489704b0735602-big.jpg

I have to say that the race has a really interesting route, over 180km long and with 5 laps in on a hilly circuit (after an easy first part of the race) with the hard Muro di Ca' del Poggio before 12km of flat after the circuit.
gp-industria-e-commercio2-2021-result-profile-8245005a51.jpg

The top 10:
1 LAPEIRA Paul Fra - Ag2r Citroen U23

2 MENEGOTTO Jacopo General Store Essegibi F.lli Curia

3 PETRUCCI Mattia Colpack Ballan

4 BENEDETTI Gabriele Zalf Euromobil Fior

5 HOCEVAR Krijstian Slo – Adria Mobil

6 MAIRE Adrien Fra – AVC Aix en Provence

7 RETAILLEAU Valentin Fra - Ag2r Citroen U23 - a 20"

8 GUZZO Federico Zalf Euromobil Désirée Fior

9 TOLIO Alex Zalf Euromobil Désirée Fior

10 BAUDIN Alex Fra - Ag2r Citroen U23

Full result:
https://www.procyclingstats.com/race/gp-industria-e-commercio2/2021

Reactions: Bonimenier
So the route of the U23 Giro has been released last week:

Stage 1: Cesenatico – Riccione (144 Km); a flat stage

Stage 2: Riccione – Imola (138,3 Km); a hilly stage with the final climb of the last WC before the finish

Stage 3: Cesenatico – Cesenatico (132,5 km); a Nove Colli stage, but not that hard

Stage 4: Sorbolo Mezzani – Guastalla ITT ( 25,4 km); a flat ITT

Stage 5: Fanano – Sestola (142 km); a medium mountain stage with the same finishing climb (4km at 10%) that tops with 2.5km to go as stage 4 of the "real" Giro

Stage 6: Bonferraro di Sorgà - San Pellegrino Terme (176 km); a downhill finish after the Selvino

Stage 7: Sondrio – Lago di Campo Moro (119,4 km); a MTF on this climb minus the first 2.6km:
CampoMoro.gif

Stage 8: Aprica – Andalo (115,5 km); an Andalo MTF (not that hard) with the Tonale from Ponte di Legno early on.

Stage 9: Cavalese – Nevegal (167,1 km); a mountain stage with the underrated Passo Valles right at the start before a double Nevegal ascent from the easier side

Stage 10: San Vito al Tagliamento – Castelfranco Veneto (162,7 km); the final stage, there is the Muro di Ca' del Poggio in the middle of the stage, but it's one for the sprinters.
photo-medium.jpg

You can find all the stages on La Flamme Rouge:
https://www.la-flamme-rouge.eu/maps/races/view/2021/184

Last edited:
The route of the Tour de l'Avenir has been revealed.
Prologue Friday 13 August Charleville-Mézières

Charleville-Mézières
iTT5 km
Stage 1 Saturday 14 August Charleville-Mézières

Soissons
Flat161 km
Stage 2 Sunday 15 August Laon

Laon
TTT27 km
Stage 3 Monday 16 August Château-Thierry

Donnemarie-Dontilly
Flat152 km
Stage 4 Tuesday 17 August Provins

Bar-le-Duc
Flat186 km
Stage 5 Wednesday 18 August Tomblaine

Bar-sur-Aube
Flat151 km
Stage 6 Thursday 19 August Champagnole

Septmoncel
Hilly138 km
Stage 7 Friday 20 August Saint-Vulbas

Anglefort - Grand Colombier
Hilly98 km
Stage 8 Saturday 21 August La Tour-en-Maurienne

Saint Jean d’Arves
Mountain71 km
Stage 9 Sunday 22 August La Toussuire

Séez - Col du Petit Saint-Bernard
Mountain154 km

Carte-generale-Tour-de-lAvenir-2021.jpg

Etape-6-Tour-de-lAvenir-2021-1000x577.jpg

Profil-etape-7-Tour-de-lAvenir-2021-1000x523.jpg

Profil-etape-8-Tour-de-lAvenir-2021-1000x611.jpg

Etape-9-Tour-de-lAvenir-2021-974x666.jpg

Once again they have a stupid TTT in a race with national teams, that's really unfair towards the smaller nations, replace it with an ITT and I'm fine with it.
I'm also not a fan of having all those short mountain stages, but I have to say that the final of stage 8 is actually pretty good, if a harder, longer stage had a finish like that I'd be all for it.
Stage 9 is also the final chance for the climbers who lost time tim the TTT to go on a long range attack to crawl back some time.
Source: https://tourdelavenir.com/en/the-race/