• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

U23 races and talents

Page 49 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I was wondering why Ramses Debruyne wasn't featuring in either Baby Giro or Course de la Paix U23. He's a climber/GC guy, so i'd have expected him there. Turns out he's been suffering with a knee injury for a while.

It's easy to oversee guys in this category, with guys like Ponomar, Brenner, Simmons, Van Wilder, Evenepoel and even Pogacar... all still being within the age bracket of U23 races.
Yeah, I read about Debruyne being injured. Hopefully he'll be back for the later season!

Lotto got De Lie at Giro though, he should be able to net them nice results. Only a 1st year U23 but should be good enough already to be prominent in flat/hilly stages.
The other guys I'm not that familiar with but according to a Directvelo interview they are all going for stages in different terrains. They haven't raced much, so might be coming in undercooked early in the race.

Course de la Paix U23 Stage1:

1. Pavel Bittner
  2. Wessel Krul
  3. Jon Barrenetxea

This stage is often very open between groups staying ahead and bunch kicks. This time it was a bunch sprint of 80 guys. Bittner is having a really good start to his U23 career, especially for a DSM Devo guy. They often take their time. Behind him the usual names and no real surprise.
The only guy noteworthy for GC who lost time today was Michel Hessmann. But with him it was always a question if he'd go for GC or be stage hunter/super domestique here.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Course de la Paix U23 Stage1:

1. Pavel Bittner
  2. Wessel Krul
  3. Jon Barrenetxea
This stage is often very open between groups staying ahead and bunch kicks. This time it was a bunch sprint of 80 guys. Bittner is having a really good start to his U23 career, especially for a DSM Devo guy. They often take their time. Behind him the usual names and no real surprise.
The only guy noteworthy for GC who lost time today was Michel Hessmann. But with him it was always a question if he'd go for GC or be stage hunter/super domestique here.
Bittner has been a having good results for a while, no?

I meant more; as of which power (/kg)for what time do you call it outstanding numbers for a u23?
He put over 1min into everyone else on the Alto de la Linea in the Vuelta a Colombia.
He climbed the whole climb in 1H exactly: https://www.strava.com/activities/5163041068
The climb is 22.08km at 6.1%, a Vam of 1354 for an hour on a climb with a rather low average gradient that finished at just over 3,200m of altitude, that's a high level performance.

Why is it butchered?

This is pink
pavel-sivakov-bmc-development-team-baby-giro-2017-1.jpg

This is butchered pink
GMcSNc9A-scaled-e1622828522418.jpeg

EDIT: Oh it's the guy that already rode the Giro and was 7th in a stage. Explains a lot.

And I guess that brings us back to the frequent discussion about whether riders sometimes should be excluded from doing U23 races, despite technically being young enough. I'd say having done a whole GT (twice, in Zana's case) is definitely on the limit of when it's reasonable to do a U23 race right afterwards.

TRENDING THREADS