• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

U23 races and talents

Page 53 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Avenir startlist with no Colombia, Denmark and USA. Don't know about USA but the other two countries must have applied to race for sure. I think there was a similar situation with Spain a couple of years ago where the application had been misplaced or something

View: https://twitter.com/tourdelavenir/status/1409823481265487878
What's the current status of U23 age riders riding in l'Avenir who are WT teams? I.e can Ayuso race?

Avenir startlist with no Colombia, Denmark and USA. Don't know about USA but the other two countries must have applied to race for sure. I think there was a similar situation with Spain a couple of years ago where the application had been misplaced or something

View: https://twitter.com/tourdelavenir/status/1409823481265487878
I wonder why they used the noun form for all of the countries except for Switzerland for which they used the adjective.

After a 1 year hiatus the Giro della Valle d'Aosta returns. Sadly this year it's only gonna be 3 stages and they won't cross into France or Switzerland, they made that call a few months in advance because of Covid related restrictions.
The stages:
20211_altimetria.png

20212_altimetria.png

20213_altimetria.png

The teams that will be starting:
Teams_2021.jpg

The penultimate climb on stage 1 is nasty, 4.9km at 11.5% with the first 3km at 13.5%, brutal stuff. Right after the descent you also still have this climb from 14kms until 5kms to go:
PilaE.gif

I've downloaded the GPX file of stage 1 and it looks hard:
https://www.cronoescalada.com/index.php/tracks/view/728857

Last edited:
Aosta startlist:

Who can win and end up high? Even when looking at Giro u23, it is difficult to say who is best in 3 days of racing and only mountain stages (maybe the fist stage is not that tough).

I ask the question, I have to answer... One from Colpack, a Johannessen, Clyhnen -because of his course de la paix result, Vandenbeele, Hellemose...?

Aosta startlist:

Who can win and end up high? Even when looking at Giro u23, it is difficult to say who is best in 3 days of racing and only mountain stages (maybe the fist stage is not that tough).

I ask the question, I have to answer... One from Colpack, a Johannessen, Clyhnen -because of his course de la paix result, Vandenbeele, Hellemose...?
This race should suit Pena more than the u23 Giro. Florian Lipowitz is also on my radar, he should do well.

Verre wins stage 1, 0:31 ahead of Reuben Thompson and 1:31 ahead of his teammate Sergio Meris.
https://www.procyclingstats.com/race/giro-ciclistico-della-valle-d-aosta-mont-blanc/2021/stage-1
Huge gaps behind the first 9 riders and many of the big names lost a ton of time today.
Apparently Verre and Thompson were on the attack and Verre dropped him on the short murito with 5km to go.
The stage design is pretty interesting, with 1 or 2 big climbs and more kms at the start that would be an awesome Giro stage.
giro-ciclistico-della-valle-d-aosta-mont-blanc-2021-stage-1-profile-54ace61d4b.jpg

The first part of the Terreblance climb is really steep, 3km at 13.5%.

Reactions: postmanhat
Verre wins stage 1, 0:31 ahead of Reuben Thompson and 1:31 ahead of his teammate Sergio Meris.
https://www.procyclingstats.com/race/giro-ciclistico-della-valle-d-aosta-mont-blanc/2021/stage-1
Huge gaps behind the first 9 riders and many of the big names lost a ton of time today.
Apparently Verre and Thompson were on the attack and Verre dropped him on the short murito with 5km to go.
The stage design is pretty interesting, with 1 or 2 big climbs and more kms at the start that would be an awesome Giro stage.
giro-ciclistico-della-valle-d-aosta-mont-blanc-2021-stage-1-profile-54ace61d4b.jpg

The first part of the Terreblance climb is really steep, 3km at 13.5%.
How was the weather?
A ton of riders DNF or OTL. Looks like a very tough day on the saddle.

Epic stuff from Garofoli. I'm becoming more convinced that Igor Arrieta is the solution for Movistar long term, since he's on Lizarte, going pro with Kern Pharma next year and his dad is on the staff at Abarcá. Only two other 18 year olds ahead of him (one of which is Garofoli, obviously) and since historically the Spanish development scene tends to bring people through a bit slower you'd anticipate him to be a little behind many in his development (and indeed Lizarte always do this race but usually it's at a down time in their form cycle and so just making the top 20 is seen as a good sign because of high base level). Since they aren't going to be able to get their hands on Ayuso for a while yet, Igor definitely looks like the 'next best thing' in the Spanish espoirs.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Steinhauser wins the final stage ahead of Hellemose and De Cassan.
The group with most of the gc riders arrived over 7:30 down.
No big changes in the top 5, Balmer drops 3 positions down to 8th after working for his teammate Thompson and Lipowitz finishes 5th. Hellemose also enters the top 10 with his final mountain raid (a Danish climber who goes on long range attacks and lives in Italy, I almost have to cheer for him).
Thompson wins the race ahead of Garofoli and Petrucci, but I'm also pretty impressed by the Italian-Moroccan Omar El Gouzi.
Between the u23 Giro and this race he was never one of the strongest, but he's super regular and never had a bad day, he really could be a potential gc rider (yes, he's older than most of his competition, but his consistency seems to be his biggest strength). 2 years ago he already finished 39th (2nd on the youth classification, only 1:21 behind Pronskiy) in the Österreich Rundfahrt before turning 20, he was 30th on both of the big MTFs. I hope that Savio or Eolo-Kometa give him a chance

Filip Maciejuk and Filippo Baroncini both got gold stars in France today. Baroncini won in front of Tim Torn Teutenberg, who, if you didn't know about his family, you would think was a character in a German nursery rhyme.

His fourth place on stage 1 was the first good result this year for Jacob Hindsgaul Madsen, who could be the next Vingegaard.

Filip Maciejuk and Filippo Baroncini both got gold stars in France today. Baroncini won in front of Tim Torn Teutenberg, who, if you didn't know about his family, you would think was a character in a German nursery rhyme.

His fourth place on stage 1 was the first good result this year for Jacob Hindsgaul Madsen, who could be the next Vingegaard.
Also, Price-Pejtersen was leading at the intermediate and likely would have won had he not been lead the wrong way by the organizers in the last 100 metres.

Also, Price-Pejtersen was leading at the intermediate and likely would have won had he not been lead the wrong way by the organizers in the last 100 metres.

It still amazes me that something like that can happen, but of course this isn't one of the biggest races. Unfortunate for Price-Pejtersen, who is still very much a one-trick pony and doesn't have many chances of victory during a season.

• Sad
It still amazes me that something like that can happen, but of course this isn't one of the biggest races. Unfortunate for Price-Pejtersen, who is still very much a one-trick pony and doesn't have many chances of victory during a season.
Also happened to Mühlberger years ago in the Tour de l'Avenir when he was on his way to win the stage.
Baroncini looks legit, he can TT, he can sprint and he can climb a bit, a solid signing for Trek.

TRENDING THREADS