• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

U23 races and talents

Page 55 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
On the other hand it is an ideal way for Ardila to get his career back on track. It might help Zana prove that he is worth a good WT contract etc.

And IF non-pro riders manage to get the better of the guys mentioned it might actually increase the interest of the Pro teams.

I really dont see the probleem with one or two races a year that are just age restricted.

Reactions: Sandisfan
61156af2cbeaa.JPG

Find the sprinter...

Also btw, the Tour de l'Avenir will be on ES player every day (or atleast i read that earlier today but i don't find 100% confirmation). Think it's the first time we get to see every stage live?

EDIT: actually might just be the last 2 stages like usual. Not sure.

Last edited:
This is really odd.
Signed with Astana for 2021, had zero racing days with the team (officially for hemorrhoids if I'm not mistaken), contract was terminated at the end of May and now he's back racing with Viris Vigevano (???). Is that even a CT team?

I mean Piccolo was one of the biggest junior talent in the world.

• Wow
This is really odd.
Signed with Astana for 2021, had zero racing days with the team (officially for hemorrhoids if I'm not mistaken), contract was terminated at the end of May and now he's back racing with Viris Vigevano (???). Is that even a CT team?

I mean Piccolo was one of the biggest junior talent in the world.
His Manager said that it's 90% sure that he'll be racing for Astaná next year. Acvording to him he had some health problems and they decided that he wouldn't race until July, but then the whole powerstruggle at Astaná happened and he got kinda lost between all the stuff that was going on. There was some talk a few months ago that his problems were hemorrhoid related, I kinda understand why a young guy wouldn't want everyone to know about that.
He was always posting pictures of himself training with the Astaná jersey, even after they removed him from the team website. His manager Carrera doesn't say it, but it sounds like Seel and PT messed up a bit...

Source: https://www.tuttobiciweb.it/article/2021/08/17/1629141073/andrea-piccolo-astana-viris-capodarco

Does someone, like LS, know more about the young Brazillian Vinicius Rangel, who is racing not only in Brazil, but also in Spain for a Spanish team?
He turned 20 this year and has decent results in the Spanish races. He also finished 2nd on the gc in the Volta a Goias, behind Joao Gaspar, who just returned to racing after his clinic related problems.
Him an Joao Pedro Rossi are probably the young guys from Brazil worth keeping an eye on, the later just finished 2nd in the panamerican ITT, behind the just 19 year old Hector Quintana Vidal from Chile.

Reactions: Sandisfan and yaco
Thibau Nys (18) just took silver in the U23 Belgian Championships. The race ended in an uphill mass sprint, which he had to start from way back in the bunch after a crash created chaos. He made up a phenomenal amount of ground but came up a few meters too short to catch Maarten Verheyen. In the past weeks he also won a lot of smaller races in a decent amateur and U23 peloton.

Link to the video in Trek-Baloise's Instagram story

Last edited:
Thibau Nys (18) just took silver in the U23 Belgian Championships. The race ended in an uphill mass sprint, which he had to start from way back in the bunch after a crash created chaos. He made up a phenomenal amount of ground but came up a few meters too short to catch Maarten Verheyen. In the past weeks he also won a lot of smaller races in a decent amateur and U23 peloton.

Link to the video in Trek-Baloise's Instagram story
No fluke...

The Croatian Miholjevic is an interesting rider. First year u23 rider, rides for Team Friuli. A strong TTer with a good sprint.
The Russians have Ivanov, a first year u23 rider who was 7th on the Piancavallo Mtf in the Giro del Friuli. He also finished 5th overall in the GP of Sochi, 3rd in the uphill TT than was won by the Sputnik Firsanov.

Sep 1, 2021
Visit site
I'd say it's better, being able to get into the right move off the the front and then hold off the bunch. I don't know how the race was ridden, other than the result, but he still managed to beat some of the best u23 riders of this season

He was in a pretty early breakaway with u. a. Pluimers and Drizners and they kept their advance because only Lotto (and a bit Uno-X) was really chasing in the peloton. So wasn't really able to beat the best on the hills, was just lucky to stay up front. Dont get me wrong, this is a good performance too, but not the same as e.g. beating the best on the final hill.

EDIT: I think you can get a better overview with yesterdays ticker on directvelo.

Sep 1, 2021
Visit site
Well, that just makes it all the more impressive, then. :p;)

The most impressiv way would be beating the worlds best (U23) rider ;) Lotto isnt famous for their U23 team, they dont have the best helpers. The breakaway were lucky that Jumbo, Hagens and DSM (of course as it is Hayters team) werent chasing. And maybe even Lotto started chasing too late? I dont know about this point but that could be a possibility too.

As i've already mentioned, still a good performance but i wouldnt expect him to win this races from a peloton. Just were a bit lucky too with how the race went.

I'd say it's better, being able to get into the right move off the the front and then hold off the bunch. I don't know how the race was ridden, other than the result, but he still managed to beat some of the best u23 riders of this season
The complete story is; 7 guys left at about 120km from the finish; 3 of the stronger teams DSM, UNO-X, and Jumbo had a guy in front. Of the stronger teams only Lotto missed out. It looked like Lotto never got properly organized in the chase (and De Lie seem to confirm this afterwards).
Even a stronger racer like Louis Barre -finishing 4th- stated afterwards he just waited for Lotto to close the gap (that is how I understand his feedback;-)).
Hayter went the last 20km on his own and kept 30 seconds of the 1min30 he started with. Which is a strong performance.
I did feel sorry for Drizners who was in the break who had the peloton catch him in the last 10 meters and he missed out on the podium.

So, you're implying that the really chasing of Lotto is not that good?
It wasn't yesterday; in the tour of Elsace they did good chasing. At least De Lie expressed some frustration after the race. Maybe some were not good enough, maybe thinking too much at their own success (which is an interesting topic at u23 level...).

Ps; not sure was 'really chasing' means ;-).

The most impressiv way would be beating the worlds best (U23) rider ;) Lotto isnt famous for their U23 team, they dont have the best helpers. The breakaway were lucky that Jumbo, Hagens and DSM (of course as it is Hayters team) werent chasing. And maybe even Lotto started chasing too late? I dont know about this point but that could be a possibility too.

As i've already mentioned, still a good performance but i wouldnt expect him to win this races from a peloton. Just were a bit lucky too with how the race went.
I always subscribe to the 'A wins a win and you make your own luck' mantra.

It wasn't yesterday; in the tour of Elsace they did good chasing. At least De Lie expressed some frustration after the race. Maybe some were not good enough, maybe thinking too much at their own success (which is an interesting topic at u23 level...).

Ps; not sure was 'really chasing' means ;-).

I think you're misunderstanding De Lie's comments. He said the organization in the peloton wasn't great, but LTS did everything they could. They made a mistake missing that strong break and in u23 races the race is often over if you let a break with so many strong teams go. LTS chased all day, but were hoping UNO-X wouldn't gamble on their guy in the break and help out, they only started riding on the Vecquee because that's where LTS stopped riding cause De Lie was behind after a mechanical on the previous climb. That mechanical cost De Lie and the team as it gave the break extra time and it the chase ruined De Lie's legs.

I see that Trinity Racing, which won the Baby Giro two years ago and which won a stage and finished fourth last year, has been denied an invite to this year’s edition. Presumably the organisers felt that sixteen dog turd Italian teams weren’t enough, so they needed to make room for a seventeenth one.
I agree that not inviting them is BS, but calling all those Italian teams dog turd is just disrespectful. I have to say that just inviting half of them would probably be enough from a competitive standpoint, but look at the Tour de l'Avenir when all the other nations only have national team and the French have all their regional teams.

TRENDING THREADS