• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

U23 races and talents

Page 61 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I looked at his Strava file and Lenny Martinez cracked completely in the end. On the final 28:36min of the stage he only did 202W. Even at his weight of only 52kg that's under 4 w/kg.
Edit:
55kg Ciucciarelli cracked even worse and did only 190W on the final Bormio - Santa Caterina sections. Looks like many went too deep on the hard climb, only to totally blow up afterwards.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I think stage 6 should suit the flyweights better. I think 6 minutes is probably too much to take back on Hayter, but it's not impossible either.

I would be surprised if anyone relevant takes even half that time back on him. He’s destroyed them today and six or seven minutes is an eternity to take back. As long as he doesn‘t blow himself up doing something stupid, he should win comfortably. I think everyone else on Axeon’s team is a first year espoir, but Rafferty and Riccitello at least are strong, so he‘ll have some support.

I would be surprised if anyone relevant takes even half that time back on him. He’s destroyed them today and six or seven minutes is an eternity to take back. As long as he doesn‘t blow himself up doing something stupid, he should win comfortably. I think everyone else on Axeon’s team is a first year espoir, but Rafferty and Riccitello at least are strong, so he‘ll have some support.
But he didn't destroy them on the main climb. He basically outlasted them.

• Wow
Leo Hayter really impressive. 182k, more than 5000 vertical meters, and his average speed at 35.2 kms/hr… Probably rode numbers which would enable him to win a mountain stage in the three-week Giro.

He today was as dominant as Remco was in Czech Republic when becoming Euro Champion of the juniors, gapping second, Balmer, by nearly ten minutes.

Hayter‘s performance of today justifies Ineos to offer him a five-year contract now.

But he didn't destroy them on the main climb. He basically outlasted them.
Yes and many guys underperformed because they cracked. Guys like Pinzon and Raccani lost 2:22 and 2:30 to Caruso in the Giro di Sicilia on the big Etna MTF, yet here they lost 10:19 and 13:45. Those guys were 8th and 11th on the gc against the pros in Sicily, so this kind of performance doesn't really show their overall climbing ability.
It looks like most guys raced like the stage would be finished on the Passo di Guspessa or at the end of the descent and went way to deep on the climb, only to totally crack afterwards.

Leo Hayter really impressive. 182k, more than 5000 vertical meters, and his average speed at 35.2 kms/hr… Probably rode numbers which would enable him to win a mountain stage in the three-week Giro.

He today was as dominant as Remco was in Czech Republic when becoming Euro Champion of the juniors, gapping second, Balmer, by nearly ten minutes.

Hayter‘s performance of today justifies Ineos to offer him a five-year contract now.
His watts weren't that high, he did 5.34 W/Kg on the Guspessa climb and under 5 w/kg on the final climb from Bormio to Santa Caterina. It seemed like he was the only one who paced himself well and didn't go too hard on the Guspessa and on the false flat right after the descent.

Not even close.

Remco dropped a chasing peloton from the start on a flat course. Completely different from taking minutes in a mountain stage where your main rivals are 2 years younger.

If you don't get destroyed permanently on Guspessa I don't think you lose 6 minutes on Fauniera.

But then this is u23 racing maybe the whole peloton is a baby Simon Yates but that's the only reason I can think it could happen.
He was smarter and more experienced. He could have climbed considerably worse and still won. Which is completely different from stage 6.

Like i said, unlikely but not impossible per se.

At least tomorrow is a somewhat easy stage. If we had another hard stage most of the guys would probably not be able to finish the race.
This shows once again how big of an impact endurance can make, for the u23 ranks this was a behemoth of a tappone.

It looks like race organizers knew what was coming. They set the time limit before the race on 28% of the winners time for this stage. So everybody made the cut.

• Wow
Yeah, but this is the first mountain stage and not at the end of a gt. Not to mention the fact that Hayter was racing defensive on the big climb of the day and over 1min slower than Lenny Martinez, so you can't really compare it to Froome making a trip to Disneylandis...
I was taking the piss. I still maintain that Finestre wasn't as high level as PSM, Ventoux 2013 or A3 domaines it just snowballed from ridiculous stage design and circumstances.

It would be interesting to see where Hayter would be if he was still at Sunweb.

The british team at l'Avenir will be interesting to see. This performance bodes well and then there also Tom Gloag, Sean Flynn, Sam Watson to name a couple of riders performing well this and last year. I think theres also a couple of riders performing well at club level in france and spain, like Harrison Wood and Oliver Knight.

• Angry

TRENDING THREADS