• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

UCI: Armstrong was paid in 2009

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
However, according to UCI spokesman Enrico Carpani, the governing body made the same requirement of Armstrong in relation to taking a salary.

“At the time the UCI asked the same of Lance,” he told VeloNation today. “After checking with Ernst & Young, I can confirm Lance Armstrong had a regular contract and salary with Astana.”

First reaction - this Lance guy lies to the press, and someone in Australia better get that $50,000 donation from him quickly.

Second reaction - is there a rule that riders with a team contract train and do any cycling related activities in official team kit? When he wasn't actually racing for Astana, he was always in either Livestrong gear or Mellow Johnny's.

Third reaction - anyone who has anything at all on the UCI or Pat McQuaid should step up now and make it public.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Liar liar pants on fire.

So slowly we are piecing together the lies he has put about the place. So why in hell should we trust his and Bruyneel's word over Landis.

Suppose he could have been moving the salary on straight away so that the salary wasnt benefitting him. But then he does say that he is giving something to the team by not taking a salary so that infers that there was nothing paid to him at all suggesting there was no transfer of funds whatsoever.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Glad I asked Shane Stokes this question now. Going back to my thread

euanli said:
1. The UCI bent the rules again for Armstrong and he didn't get paid
2. Armstrong got paid and lied about it
3. Armstrong got paid and donated the money to Livestrong

We can cross out option one because they say he got paid.
We can cross out option three because he said he wasn't getting paid in May and it was helping the team.

Option two it is then.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
hubbard said:
someone should pay you for all the quality cut and paste you do

Erm...well it wouldn't be very good if I didn't cut and paste stuff. By people posting articles, links for video's it sometimes helps people find information about a certain issue, favourite rider, favourite team, etc.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Frosty said:
Suppose he could have been moving the salary on straight away so that the salary wasnt benefitting him. But then he does say that he is giving something to the team by not taking a salary so that infers that there was nothing paid to him at all suggesting there was no transfer of funds whatsoever.

this post does not make sense to me. the uci spokesman after checking with their accountant said, 'armstrong was paid and had a contract. end of story.

what people do with the money and whether they benefited AFTER they got paid is another and totally irrelevant issue.

armstrong and bruyneel lied in all their public appearances in order to enhance comeback 2.0 as a selfless act, in stead of doing what diluca and katusha did in public - admitting a nominal, small payment b/c of the uci rules in place.

i strongly disagree that astana benefited from armstrong more than he himself. i'd argue there would be no comeback in 2009 if astana decided to play hard ball.

i wish they did.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
theswordsman said:
First reaction - this Lance guy lies to the press, and someone in Australia better get that $50,000 donation from him quickly.

Second reaction - is there a rule that riders with a team contract train and do any cycling related activities in official team kit? When he wasn't actually racing for Astana, he was always in either Livestrong gear or Mellow Johnny's.

Third reaction - anyone who has anything at all on the UCI or Pat McQuaid should step up now and make it public.
he will be getting the money from LS.org, like he got for Haiti

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
I especially like that Transparency is in the title. This from a 2009 James Raia interview

Q: During the training camp and at other times, you're wearing the Livestrong kit but your teammates are in the Astana kit. Could you tell me about that arrangement?

L.A: Those guys are paid to race. I'm not paid to race. I'm racing as a volunteer for Livestrong. Legally, I can't wear Livestrong in the race or I would, but anytime outside of a race I am going to fulfill my commitment to my organization.

Again, it would different if it were Discover Channel (his former team) and you were getting a big, fat salary. You have to train in that kit. But the fact that I'm not taking a salary from Astana means that I can wear what ever I want to wear, I think?
http://www.byjamesraia.com/articles...itter-Time-Trials-and-Transparency/Page1.html

May 26, 2010
Visit site
theswordsman said:

jeez the guy lies every time he opens his mouth. compulsive liar. a good legal would have him contradicitng himself multiple times in a few minutes.

as for the $50,000, bet he doesn't sign the cheque if it even gets written. more lies to make the sociopath look like the 'saviour' that he wants everyone to see and think he is.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Someone in Australia needs to ask him this now.

But RR is right, now this has popped up and VN have an article we are going to hear a reply from someone.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Roland Rat said:
I bet the emergency yellow telephone in UCI HQ is ringing off the hook at the moment. Expect a Fat Pat "clarification" in 5... 4.... 3....

what clarification ? the uci was complicit then too essentially covering up the fact of his salary. if anything, i see the latest release from the uci spokesman as further evidence that texas is losing his grip due to bad news in the pipeline from novi.

python said:
what clarification ? the uci was complicit then too essentially covering up the fact of his salary. if anything, i see the latest release from the uci spokesman as further evidence that texas is losing his grip due to bad news in the pipeline from novi.

Yes, but it was a low-level UCI employee. Who will probably be out of a job very soon.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Roland Rat said:
Yes, but it was a low-level UCI employee. Who will probably be out of a job very soon.

I'm not sure what's considered a low level employee. It was Enrico Carpani, the UCI spokesman. Funnily enough, the same guy Tuttobiciweb spoke to Monday after McQuaid said the whole El Pais story about the RFEC was nonsense. It's not like he just happened to answer the phone - he's the guy journalists contact for answers. For today, at least.

On second thought, I wonder if the spokesman might be an honest guy who hopes people start asking him the right questions? That's the second one this week, with documentation.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Roland Rat said:
carpani is anything BUT a low level UCI employee...

he's one of the very few inner circle old boys whose faithful service stretches back to verbruggen presidency. may be not the sharpest knife in the uci kitchen, but very informed and very far from the naive/'honest' type the swordsman hopes for. he's the guy who made dozens of statements that had to be later backpedaled including the infamous lie by verbruggen about the uci not leaking armstrong's doping control forms to ressiot. he's the guy who later announced uci's zorzoli's 3-months suspension for leaking.

take my word, carpani did not misspeak...

more likely, as i said before, a sign of coming texas demise and the uci's attempts to capitalize on the idea of transparency..

python said:
carpani is anything BUT a low level UCI employee...

he's one of the very few inner circle old boys whose faithful service stretches back to verbruggen presidency. may be not the sharpest knife in the uci kitchen, but very informed and very far from the naive/'honest' type the swordsman hopes for. he's the guy who made dozens of statements that had to be later backpedaled including the infamous lie by verbruggen about the uci not leaking armstrong's doping control forms to ressiot. he's the guy who later announced uci's zorzoli's 3-months suspension for leaking.

take my word, carpani did not misspeak...

more likely, as i said before, a sign of coming texas demise and the uci's attempts to capitalize on the idea of transparency..

Interesting, thanks.

See, this is ridiculous. Why would you make up a story like this which can backfire very easily since it's relatively easy to check the facts, and which frankly doesn't even bring much of a benefit to you? Oh right, if you're a pathological liar it all makes sense.

python said:
this post does not make sense to me. the uci spokesman after checking with their accountant said, 'armstrong was paid and had a contract. end of story.

Well im sorry if it doesnt, i read the article including your extract and was just trying to look at things from another angle to see if it could be a case of him not telling the complete truth and therefore being able to get away with it to some extent, or not telling the truth at all. Very sorry for trying to add to the thread and also that you are unable to look at things from this POV.

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
theswordsman said:

I don't think that there is a rule stating this, but that it is a common thing in most contracts. So, Lance's contract stated that he could wear Livestrong stuff.

TRENDING THREADS