• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

UCI confirms 4 year license for 2 Pro tour stops in Canada!

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Well the UCI finally confirmed the license today. Word through the grapevine is that the Quebec City race circuit will feature the brutal, 18% climb up to the Plains of Abraham each lap.

Should be a great race that will make for great television as well. The Montreal circuit will be the already well known circuit previousely used for the '74 worlds, '76 Olympics, and previous men's and women's World Cup stops.

My plane tickets are already booked!

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I am excited - a short car trip away from Ottawa to see some PT racing. I am not sure if the PT teams will be that happy with the travel and associated costs, but I suppose it is in line with the UCI's attempt at globalizing cycling.

The GP des Ameriques(Montreal) as it was known was part of the original World Cup launched 20 years ago in the initial effort to globalise cycling but stopped in 92. The circuit was good with the climb of Mont Royal, I have cycled it and it was a tough race with usually decent winners.

I think the current cycling world is more open to the establishment of races in Canada, however like the Tou of Cali, timing could be vital for the survival of these new races although having two races seems to be pushing it. Personally, I think there needs to be a North American Calendar to rival the European one, idealistic I know but with Lance around, more visible.It should be about sustaining races, not having some disappear only to start new ones elsewhere.

TRENDING THREADS