• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

UCI Structure

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
As everything we saw from the Landis emails gets slowly proven to be true, it makes you think that the allegations of a cover up of doping cases may be revealed soon too. So how exactly does the UCI work, I couldn't find out.

Who votes the officials into power, can we remove Pat somehow by democratic measures, or he there until he decides to go or gets removed for various allegations which are now looking likely to come true?

Will the UCI fall over this, if so, what do we do, who runs the sport? The Tour was run a couple of years ago outwith the UCI, could this actually happen, could be be under an emergency governing body?

Does money for frame stickers equal the money they now can't generate from 'donations'?

I really have no idea how they operate.....

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
SaftyCyclist said:
As everything we saw from the Landis emails gets slowly proven to be true, it makes you think that the allegations of a cover up of doping cases may be revealed soon too. So how exactly does the UCI work, I couldn't find out.

Who votes the officials into power, can we remove Pat somehow by democratic measures, or he there until he decides to go or gets removed for various allegations which are now looking likely to come true?

Will the UCI fall over this, if so, what do we do, who runs the sport? The Tour was run a couple of years ago outwith the UCI, could this actually happen, could be be under an emergency governing body?

Does money for frame stickers equal the money they now can't generate from 'donations'?

I think Pat & Co are in Switzerland, as are the IOC & FIFA, for a very good reason. Swiss law shields them against a lot of scrutiny that they'd be open to anywhere else in Europe or the US.

Under Swiss law sporting bodies are not required to publish accounts nor register with the state.

http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/special...tzerland_champions_champions.html?cid=8149794

Makes investigating wrongdoing much harder.

SaftyCyclist said:
Will the UCI fall over this,

Doubtful. It would be nice, but doubtful.

SaftyCyclist said:
if so, what do we do, who runs the sport? The Tour was run a couple of years ago outwith the UCI, could this actually happen,
It's not the end of the world if the UCI goes away. Competitive cycling won't vanish. There are lots of independent cycling federations. (Look at my signature!) In the U.S the two biggest per-capita States for competitive cycling are Oregon and Colorado. Both States have independent federations. No meaningful USAC presence in those States.

SaftyCyclist said:
No one does. They are a source of entertainment as a result.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
ultimobici said:
I think Pat & Co are in Switzerland, as are the IOC & FIFA, for a very good reason. Swiss law shields them against a lot of scrutiny that they'd be open to anywhere else in Europe or the US.

Under Swiss law sporting bodies are not required to publish accounts nor register with the state.

http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/special...tzerland_champions_champions.html?cid=8149794

Makes investigating wrongdoing much harder.

makes taking bribes into multiple swiss bank accounts much easier too...:D

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
SaftyCyclist said:

Pat is elected by the heads of all the national cycling federations, and he serves a term. If our own USA organization were not so corrupt (controlled by Thom Weisel), perhaps we could raise a voice, but we can't. Pat very carefully campaigned with all of the local federations and secured loyalty long before he ran. In other words, he's been elected dictator.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
BotanyBay said:
Pat is elected by the heads of all the national cycling federations, and he serves a term. If our own USA organization were not so corrupt (controlled by Thom Weisel), perhaps we could raise a voice, but we can't. Pat very carefully campaigned with all of the local federations and secured loyalty long before he ran. In other words, he's been elected dictator.

...which is par for the course for almost any of those international sporting organizations.