• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

UK police giving out free bike locks to cyclists

That's one way to encourage active crime prevention!
Was at my local station unlocking my bike for the ride home and there were a couple of officers there offering to security mark my bike for free. This would normally cost £20 so this was a good result to start with.
As the conversation went on it became apparent that there were locks available with advice on how to securely lock a bike (always use two different types of lock as this means two different tool sets are needed and makes the time longer with the first broken lock suspiciously on the ground)
The officers are touring crime hotspots in the country offering this excellent service.
Do you get this in your country? Seems to me that the costs of the lock and marking soon pay for themselves in the long run.

Bike theft is pretty high here in Eugene, OR, so occasionally you see cops on the local news recommending how to lock up your bike properly so it (and its various parts) doesn't get stolen.

Besides that the local police department also has a program where you can register your bike with them for free, I've done it on all my bikes. (Not that I think the cops will drop everything just so they can go looking for my stolen bikes, but at least their anti-theft advice is useful.)

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2016/06/10/shots-fired-at-dallas-love-field-airport-police-on-scene.html

Apparently this shooting just occurred outside a Dallas airport (Warning: Graphic content).

I'm not aware of the context in which this shooting occurred, but it's clearly another example of excessive violence used by cops.
A very similar incident occurred in Toronto a few years ago when a cop fired several volleys at an teenager who was high as a kite and carrying a small knife with no one else in the vicinity.
Sickening stuff.

Re:

the delgados said:
https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2016/06/10/shots-fired-at-dallas-love-field-airport-police-on-scene.html

Apparently this shooting just occurred outside a Dallas airport (Warning: Graphic content).

I'm not aware of the context in which this shooting occurred, but it's clearly another example of excessive violence used by cops.
A very similar incident occurred in Toronto a few years ago when a cop fired several volleys at an teenager who was high as a kite and carrying a small knife with no one else in the vicinity.
Sickening stuff.
Hon, you sure this is the thread you wanted? I mean, the thread where we talk about bad cops (or TSAs) is the other one.