Vacuum Cleaners

Any vacuum recommendation around the $200 range (I'd spend more if there was a compelling reason)? I've had a Shark Pro Lift Away for almost five years, it has worked well, but the hose was poorly designed, limiting its function. The poorly designed hose also turns out to be the weak link because it failed. I see that Shark has redesigned the hose so I'll consider another Shark. Any Shark Rocket users out there? I would like to go cordless, but haven't read too many favorable reviews of cordless vacs. Are Dyson vacs worth the money? Any input would be appreciated! Thanks!
 
Sep 30, 2009
274
0
0
Dyson is worth it if you find them on sale, like around Christmas time (grabbed mine for @300CDN). I picked up a DC43 Animal (canister) and have only had a complaint with the turbohead which Dyson replaced free of charge (lifetime warranty on the machine and accessories). It's a good little machine. The performance won't blow you away (I was at first dissapointed), but we've had it for four years and it still works like the day we bought it. It grows on you. Does it work better than most others?n Yes, but I find that it's construction is where you pay. It's light and engineered to last. Also comes with numerous accessories to clean various things, including a grooming brush attachment. The cat loves to get vacuumed with it (he seriously does love it). If all you need is a regular vacuum cleaner for around the house, then there are other vacuums that work quite well for less and will last.

Had a Shark prior to the Dyson. Good vacuums, but when things go kaput, no CS to help you rectify a problem.
 
Aug 2, 2012
4,219
0
0
i would like to chip in with guidance but the one time i got my hands on a vacuum cleaner.............it seemed

frightfully boring................maybe? i'm just a slow learner ..................

Mark L
 
I actually laughed when I saw the title of this thread, thought it was some spammer trying to sell me a vacuum cleaner. But seeing as you are being serious...

I've been around some Dysons (the most recent one being the "Dyson Big Ball Cinetic Upright Vacuum w/ Attachments"), some Hoovers, some Eurekas, a Riccar, a couple of exotic ones I don't even recall the names of... and they all work just fine. Currently my favorite one, though, is the Eureka "AirSpeed ONE" - it's cheap, it's light, is fairly durable, and it does the job I want it to do.

Anyhoo, vacuum cleaners are just like bicycles - you can be as expensive with them as you want to be, and there is no way you can please everyone with just one model. So, if you have all the money in the world by all means experiment, find the one that works the best for you. :)
 
Jul 11, 2013
2,656
0
0
Re:

ebandit said:
i would like to chip in with guidance but the one time i got my hands on a vacuum cleaner.............it seemed

frightfully boring................maybe? i'm just a slow learner ..................

Mark L
It's quite satisfying for me......Cleaning up the dirt............

If only... Cleaning up Pro-cycling
Was that easy......

I guess Cookson.......is not a dyson?
 
Re:

Tricycle Rider said:
I actually laughed when I saw the title of this thread, thought it was some spammer trying to sell me a vacuum cleaner. But seeing as you are being serious...

I've been around some Dysons (the most recent one being the "Dyson Big Ball Cinetic Upright Vacuum w/ Attachments"), some Hoovers, some Eurekas, a Riccar, a couple of exotic ones I don't even recall the names of... and they all work just fine. Currently my favorite one, though, is the Eureka "AirSpeed ONE" - it's cheap, it's light, is fairly durable, and it does the job I want it to do.

Anyhoo, vacuum cleaners are just like bicycles - you can be as expensive with them as you want to be, and there is no way you can please everyone with just one model. So, if you have all the money in the world by all means experiment, find the one that works the best for you. :)
I'm not a spammer or a vacuum salesman, but since you brought it up, do you want to buy my old vacuum?! :p
 
Just out of curiosity - which model did you and your wife decide on?

I'm only asking because I'm about to vacuum.


(Don't really feel like it, but who out there does actually ever enjoy vacuuming? [Except for mrhender, of course.])
 
Re:

Tricycle Rider said:
Just out of curiosity - which model did you and your wife decide on?

I'm only asking because I'm about to vacuum.


(Don't really feel like it, but who out there does actually ever enjoy vacuuming? [Except for mrhender, of course.])
I bought a replacement hose to get us through for a while until we decide. We are hoping that the new wave of cordless vacs will be good. My brother in-law says that the best way to vacuum is with a maid! :D
 
Don't think for a minute I've forgotten... what's the latest news/progress on your vacuum cleaner, jmdirt?

(Am currently working with an Electrolux "Precision" model at my neighbor's house, being I was sitting both his house and his dog. Seems to be picking up the dirt, and dog hair, well enough.)
 
Nov 25, 2010
831
0
0
Another concern is if someone else will be using it.
Make sure it doesn't weigh too much for the operator!
Test it on flooring similar to where it will be used - some are really difficult on thick carpet.

I like vacuums that use a bag, have a long cord, are light weight, and can be disassmbled for removing 'wound-up' hair.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA
 
Re:

Tricycle Rider said:
Don't think for a minute I've forgotten... what's the latest news/progress on your vacuum cleaner, jmdirt?

(Am currently working with an Electrolux "Precision" model at my neighbor's house, being I was sitting both his house and his dog. Seems to be picking up the dirt, and dog hair, well enough.)
I'm still waiting for the new wave of cordless to drop...
 
Mar 13, 2009
12,232
0
0
p'raps. you could buy a Bissell, since they did support US domestic cycling for a decent period.
 
Re: Re:

Tricycle Rider said:
jmdirt said:
blackcat said:
p'raps. you could buy a Bissell, since they did support US domestic cycling for a decent period.
I'm ahead of you, I'm going to look at one of these next time I'm near a Bissell retailer:
http://www.bissell.com/powerglide-cordless-upright-vacuum-1534
Yo, jmdirt... what is the deal here?

Did you end up getting a new vacuum cleaner, or what?
No, its not really a priority! :D I'll limp the old one along until it doesn't work.
 
Mar 13, 2009
2,373
0
0
Re: Re:

jmdirt said:
Tricycle Rider said:
Just out of curiosity - which model did you and your wife decide on?

I'm only asking because I'm about to vacuum.


(Don't really feel like it, but who out there does actually ever enjoy vacuuming? [Except for mrhender, of course.])
I bought a replacement hose to get us through for a while until we decide. We are hoping that the new wave of cordless vacs will be good. My brother in-law says that the best way to vacuum is with a maid! :D
Sounds like what you really need is a hoseless model.
 
Re: Re:

frenchfry said:
jmdirt said:
Tricycle Rider said:
Just out of curiosity - which model did you and your wife decide on?

I'm only asking because I'm about to vacuum.


(Don't really feel like it, but who out there does actually ever enjoy vacuuming? [Except for mrhender, of course.])
I bought a replacement hose to get us through for a while until we decide. We are hoping that the new wave of cordless vacs will be good. My brother in-law says that the best way to vacuum is with a maid! :D
Sounds like what you really need is a hoseless model.
:D What I really need is a maid! :D
 
Mar 13, 2009
2,373
0
0
Re: Re:

jmdirt said:
frenchfry said:
jmdirt said:
Tricycle Rider said:
Just out of curiosity - which model did you and your wife decide on?

I'm only asking because I'm about to vacuum.


(Don't really feel like it, but who out there does actually ever enjoy vacuuming? [Except for mrhender, of course.])
I bought a replacement hose to get us through for a while until we decide. We are hoping that the new wave of cordless vacs will be good. My brother in-law says that the best way to vacuum is with a maid! :D
Sounds like what you really need is a hoseless model.
:D What I really need is a maid! :D
Neil Young can help you with that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOuQywiRUJo
 
Re: Re:

frenchfry said:
jmdirt said:
frenchfry said:
jmdirt said:
Tricycle Rider said:
Just out of curiosity - which model did you and your wife decide on?

I'm only asking because I'm about to vacuum.


(Don't really feel like it, but who out there does actually ever enjoy vacuuming? [Except for mrhender, of course.])
I bought a replacement hose to get us through for a while until we decide. We are hoping that the new wave of cordless vacs will be good. My brother in-law says that the best way to vacuum is with a maid! :D
Sounds like what you really need is a hoseless model.
:D What I really need is a maid! :D
Neil Young can help you with that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOuQywiRUJo
YES! Look how young he is!
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts