• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Valverde: I like cycling more than ever

hrotha said:
If you're going to be a pro fan, you're going to need to understand enough written Spanish, French, Dutch, Italian and English to get by.

The only alternative in my case was to open a google translate window and type in the Spanish (or whatever language text). Of course that gets tiresome after a while.:(

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
hrotha said:
And yet, here we are, in the 2010s, and you're missing content.
Not really... if there is anything newsworthy it will be translated and posted. There are more interviews, articles, blogs etc done in English than any one can keep up with, let alone needing 3 other languages.

Does it help if you can read those languages - sure. Are you not a real pro fan if you cant... hardly.

FreeWheelin said:
Not really... if there is anything newsworthy it will be translated and posted. There are more interviews, articles, blogs etc done in English than any one can keep up with, let alone needing 3 other languages.

Does it help if you can read those languages - sure. Are you not a real pro fan if you cant... hardly.

not really, the news are only considered worthy for most anglo-saxon countries if they are about anglo-saxon riders, so you miss a lot of important content about latin speaking( spanish, italian, french, portuguese) countries and ofc belgium and holland which happen to be more cycling relevant countries then most anglo-saxon countries.

also i would say that you are wrong on your second point as well. what you mean is that there are more interviews, articles, blogs etc translated into english from one of the other languages you don't understand than you can keep up with. or do you honestly believe that everything you read in english was written/said in english by riders coming from non english speaking countries? and since about what? 85%? of the peloton are non english speaking riders. . . .

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Parrulo said:
not really, the news are only considered worthy for most anglo-saxon countries if they are about anglo-saxon riders, so you miss a lot of important content about latin speaking( spanish, italian, french, portuguese) countries and ofc belgium and holland which happen to be more cycling relevant countries then most anglo-saxon countries.

also i would say that you are wrong on your second point as well. what you mean is that there are more interviews, articles, blogs etc translated into english from one of the other languages you don't understand than you can keep up with. or do you honestly believe that everything you read in english was written/said in english by riders coming from non english speaking countries? and since about what? 85%? of the peloton are non english speaking riders. . . .

I think what he means is that when a Dutch/Belgian, French/Belgian, Spanish, Italian etc. rider gives an interview in his mother language someone or some cycling blog/website will translate it into English, especially when it's an interview of any importance. What he says is true most of the times though, lots of websites even translate stuff into Dutch. However, it will never beat being able to truly speak all these languages.

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Parrulo said:
not really, the news are only considered worthy for most anglo-saxon countries if they are about anglo-saxon riders

not really

Parrulo said:
you miss a lot of important content about latin speaking( spanish, italian, french, portuguese) countries and ofc belgium and holland which happen to be more cycling relevant countries then most anglo-saxon countries.

depends on what you deem to be important but I think most important news will still find it's way into English.

Parrulo said:
also i would say that you are wrong on your second point as well.

as has already been pointed out, I think you probably misunderstood what he was saying, a lot of the English news might be derived from other languages of course, but still it is available in English.

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
There's just a lot of information that doesn't come to light on the english written press. Information that I find interesting and useful. So it only makes sense for me to read other sites, where I can find much broader cycling news (those that report both big and small races/teams/events). Fortunately I know enough of written Spanish, Italian and French to be able to do that (no dutchie :eek: maybe some day). Of course I could live without it. I've done so for "many" years. Didn't made me less of a passionate fan.

I think we likley miss out on numerous rider interviews in their native languages. If you look at the multitude of articles, interviews, and features on Anglo riders/teams and riders/teams that are the fav's of Anglo newsites, you'll find that the rest of the team's aren't given even half the attention.

Angliru said:
I think we likley miss out on numerous rider interviews in their native languages. If you look at the multitude of articles, interviews, and features on Anglo riders/teams and riders/teams that are the fav's of Anglo newsites, you'll find that the rest of the team's aren't given even half the attention.

thank you for saving me the time to point something as obvious as that to machu pichu . . . :p

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
You definitely miss a lot having to rely on the translation of a computer program, editor or guesstimating the words you don't know or not looking at foreign language magazines. Its a bit much to state you can't be a serious cycling fan if you can't comprehend the traditional cycling languages.

I just read the article- (thanks for the link BTW) and the interview is very formal-just explaining how he's doing after the first win during the TDU, his expectations for this season & basically his state of form & mind set for what is coming. When he said he likes the sport more than ever is because of the new motivation & the new perspective he's got after returning from the ban. He likes it more because -according to him- all the years prior to his ban weren't pleasant at all due to the ongoing investigation-but since all that is behind him, he feels more appreciation for the sport.

hrotha said:
If you're going to be a pro fan, you're going to need to understand enough written Spanish, French, Dutch, Italian and English to get by.

Thanks to these forums, we have several posters that don't seem to mind sharing their knowledge with the rest of us deprived folk, be it in keeping us abreast of the pro cycling scene in South America, the Dutchies, and other countries and regions. I have to say since CN started their forum, for me, there's nothing like it for discussing professional road cycling. I'm quite grateful for it's existence.

FreeWheelin said:

It's very useful to be able to understand another languages-specially the one the article is originally written in - so when someone screws up the translation in English- you're fully aware of the loads of BS & gossiping that need to be taken away from it in forums & another sources "trying to enforce their own views", rather than what the person truly expressed in his native language

Angliru said:
Thanks to these forums, we have several posters that don't seem to mind sharing their knowledge with the rest of us deprived folk, be it in keeping us abreast of the pro cycling scene in South America, the Dutchies, and other countries and regions. I have to say since CN started their forum, for me, there's nothing like it for discussing professional road cycling. I'm quite grateful for it's existence.

Definately.
Specially since I don't have friends that like cycling as much as I do. I need to vent my cycling feelings somewhere :D

TRENDING THREADS