Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 113 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 19, 2011
4,857
1
0
Eshnar said:
He should've attacked as soon as he discovered it... He has more than 2' to gain.
When AV noticed it is already too late to attack, and Nibali played poke face very well yesterday, he put a big dig in the end to cover his suffering, at least JR did not think Nibali was in any difficulty yesterday. But AV noticed that.
 
Dec 24, 2009
206
0
8,830
LaFlorecita said:
Well I do think he isn't as strong as many think. This Vuelta vs Papy Horner and il Giro vs Uran and Cuddles. It's not that impressive. I would like to see him put the pressure on Froome though but I can't see that happening.
He won the Giro by a mile though, and could have won it by 10 minutes if he wanted. His level in the Giro was very high.
 
Oct 17, 2011
1,315
0
0
qwerty16 said:
He won the Giro by a mile though, and could have won it by 10 minutes if he wanted. His level in the Giro was very high.
Atm he is in good shape, but not as good as in the Giro that's for sure.
 
May 19, 2011
4,857
1
0
webbie146 said:
Atm he is in good shape, but not as good as in the Giro that's for sure.
considering his biggest goal is worlds a month later. so it is understandable. I think Nibali will try to win Angiliu to seal his Vuelta victory:D
 
maxmartin said:
well that is what he discovered yesterday, and AV did put a decent attack today, so he is following his plan I guess.
A decent attack? You mean when he attacked with 3km to go, left everyone behind, then turned around and stopped because, and I quote him: "it was too early"?
 
A bad day can happen even if you're in top shape. It's been a tough weekend, maybe he's a bit sick, maybe he didn't recover well after being forced to cover so many attacks yesterday. These things happen to every gt rider. We'll see after the rest day if it's just a bad day or something missing in his form.
 
May 19, 2011
4,857
1
0
SafeBet said:
A bad day can happen even if you're in top shape. It's been a tough weekend, maybe he's a bit sick, maybe he didn't recover well after being forced to cover so many attacks yesterday. These things happen to every gt rider. We'll see after the rest day if it's just a bad day or something missing in his form.
It makes Nibali a much more believable GT champion!!!
 
May 19, 2011
4,857
1
0
SafeBet said:
A bad day can happen even if you're in top shape. It's been a tough weekend, maybe he's a bit sick, maybe he didn't recover well after being forced to cover so many attacks yesterday. These things happen to every gt rider. We'll see after the rest day if it's just a bad day or something missing in his form.
that makes Nibali a true champion!!!
 
Descender said:
Nibali's main goal might be the Worlds and all, but if that's the case and judging by what the past tells us, he should be at least very near top shape by now.
Knowing Nibali- He's thinking what is the job at hand-which is to win the Vuelta. The fact that he had a bad day with a rest day following is only good news. Nevertheless, he has to be very careful with Horner, who seems extremely well aside from clinic matters:D

Mi man Nibali will be ready on Wednesday to fight for Red in Madrid
 
Oct 17, 2011
1,315
0
0
I'd like to hear Nibali's response regarding today. Interesting to hear whether he bonked, cracked, just had a bad day in general etc..
 
May 19, 2011
4,857
1
0
webbie146 said:
I'd like to hear Nibali's response regarding today. Interesting to hear whether he bonked, cracked, just had a bad day in general etc..
be patient my friend, I am sure Italian newspaper will dig out something;)
 
Oct 17, 2011
1,315
0
0
maxmartin said:
be patient my friend, I am sure Italian newspaper will dig out something;)
Yea true, I looked on the Astana site but there's no stage summary yet.

Edit: Now there is:

"It was a very difficult finish, and with wind in the last 2k I thought I would do better, but it was just really difficult," Nibali said.

"The last three days have been hard, and the whole team has been working every stage to control the race. We spent a lot of energy when we had to and tomorrow is a rest day, so we will see - the climbs in the next week are just as hard, but more to my style of riding, and the weight of wearing the red jersey is on my shoulders," Nibali said.
 
May 19, 2011
4,857
1
0
webbie146 said:
Yea true, I looked on the Astana site but there's no stage summary yet.

Edit: Now there is:

"It was a very difficult finish, and with wind in the last 2k I thought I would do better, but it was just really difficult," Nibali said.

"The last three days have been hard, and the whole team has been working every stage to control the race. We spent a lot of energy when we had to and tomorrow is a rest day, so we will see - the climbs in the next week are just as hard, but more to my style of riding, and the weight of wearing the red jersey is on my shoulders," Nibali said.
he will win Angilu to seal the vuelta victory
 
Aug 16, 2011
10,820
1
0
webbie146 said:
Yea true, I looked on the Astana site but there's no stage summary yet.

Edit: Now there is:

"It was a very difficult finish, and with wind in the last 2k I thought I would do better, but it was just really difficult," Nibali said.

"The last three days have been hard, and the whole team has been working every stage to control the race. We spent a lot of energy when we had to and tomorrow is a rest day, so we will see - the climbs in the next week are just as hard, but more to my style of riding, and the weight of wearing the red jersey is on my shoulders," Nibali said.
So just not strong enough today. Bummer, was hoping it was a one time thing like a hunger bonk or something. :( Anyway, glad there's rest day tomorrow, and a sprint stage the next day. Should be able to recover before the hit the climbs again. Astana should take the Burgos stage off, and let a harmless break go in order to make sure they're completely recovered for the mountains.

Horner's been looking good, It's gonna be hard to beat him, but Nibs can do it I believe. :)
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY