• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vinokourov and Kolobnev facing prison over 2010 Liege

I don’t think you’ll find many cycling fans anywhere who’ll have much sympathy for Vino. I would not only echo your sentiments, but at the same time ask, why is this the thing that might finally bring him down, and how has it taken so long, and how come he still has a team in the World Tour?

I don’t think you’ll find many cycling fans anywhere who’ll have much sympathy for Vino. I would not only echo your sentiments, but at the same time ask, why is this the thing that might finally bring him down, and how has it taken so long, and how come he still has a team in the World Tour?

If he opts to flee it ends his career, a European Arrest Warrant would be issued stranding him in Kazakhstan. Plus the UCI would have to ban him.

42 has made the most pertinent point - These actions happen all the time in cycling and in other sports - You only have to look at Roglic allowing Podacar to win a stage at the current Vuelta or Lawless allowing GVA to win the last stage of Yorkshire - I feel the police should be investigating more serious crimes.

So the Belgian prosecution asks for six months, but that doesn't mean that's going to happen. The defense will use arguments like reasonable time and procedural errors in the acquisition of proof. On the other hand there is proof that e-mails and money were exchanged, so it can be a complex case. Things like this have probably happened more often in cycling, but as far as I know it has never led to a court case.

42 has made the most pertinent point - These actions happen all the time in cycling and in other sports - You only have to look at Roglic allowing Podacar to win a stage at the current Vuelta or Lawless allowing GVA to win the last stage of Yorkshire - I feel the police should be investigating more serious crimes.
That's a different situation. Roglic and Pogacar worked together for a common goal in that stage, so it's normal that Roglic doesn't bother about the stage win. In the case of Vinokourov there's proof of actual bribery to win a race.

That's a different situation. Roglic and Pogacar worked together for a common goal in that stage, so it's normal that Roglic doesn't bother about the stage win. In the case of Vinokourov there's proof of actual bribery to win a race.
Still hardly unique. McEwen and Cooke offered each other 5 figures to throw the Champs sprint, and by extension the Green Jersey in 2003. Both have confirmed they did it, and that's just one example.

You only have to look at Roglic allowing Podacar to win a stage at the current Vuelta or Lawless allowing GVA to win the last stage of Yorkshire
In a stagerace, there are many objectives. For Roglic the main objective is to win the stagerace. For Pogacar that is (or was at that point) to win a stage. It's perfectly possible that they can work together with a mutual understanding of each others objectives, neither of which interfered with the other.
In a classic, or a one day race, there is only one objective. To win (or have a teammate win) the race at the end of the day.

I wonder if anything will ever be done about the 2012 Olympic Road Race.

The way Uran exaggeratedly looked over his left shoulder for way longer than was necessary while Vinokourov attacked to the right, then kept looking straight ahead, apparently still unaware that Vinokourov had attacked until it was too late, was the worst acting since Sofia Coppola in Godfather 3.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhhGJ3I4p9k
That is speculation, there's no real evidence, even if it looks a bit suspicious.
I also think that the way Dillier rode the final 5km of Paris-Roubaix with Sagan last year is pretty suspicious, he pretty much did the opposite of what one would do to have even a small chance in that sprint.

I also think that the way Dillier rode the final 5km of Paris-Roubaix with Sagan last year is pretty suspicious, he pretty much did the opposite of what one would do to have even a small chance in that sprint.

There’s some two-up sprints where everyone knows who’ll win though. Dillier had been up the road for around 200 km, and unless Sagan’s dodgy stem had broken, there’s no way Silvan was ever winning that day. See also Canc / Vanmarcke at Roubaix, Kristoff / Terpstra at Flanders, etc...

Probably the strangest result in a big race I can remember seeing live is Ulle slowly riding away to gold ahead of Vino and Klöden in Sydney, thanks to Telekom, ofc.

There’s some two-up sprints where everyone knows who’ll win though. Dillier had been up the road for around 200 km, and unless Sagan’s dodgy stem had broken, there’s no way Silvan was ever winning that day. See also Canc / Vanmarcke at Roubaix, Kristoff / Terpstra at Flanders, etc...

Probably the strangest result in a big race I can remember seeing live is Ulle slowly riding away to gold ahead of Vino and Klöden in Sydney, thanks to Telekom, ofc.
At least Terpstra stopped working near the end after it turned out that he wasn't stronger than Kristoff on the cobbled climbs. He got a podium in the RVV and forced the other guy to do the work near the end. Dillier on the other hand didn't stop taking turns, not even durning the final 5km and was actually leading Sagan in the Velodrome. You can ride for a podium, but at one point you usually start to let the other guy to the work so the you have at least a small chance of beating him.

TRENDING THREADS