• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Viviani attitude in 2016 has been quite odd. First against Jakub Mareczko. Now against Cav and Gaviria.
it’s not the way a world champion should race. He raced only on my wheel
for Gaviria's tactics. This from a sprinter who wheels sucks upto the last 200m. :rolleyes:
we decided before the points race that we would only race for the jersey
why not question ur own tactics???? :confused:
We lost it when Cav did the sprint
Cav simply wants Olympic selection in omnium and why will he not sprint to show he is better. :p

Rather strange behavior from one who wants to win

Never really been a fan of Viviani, and I must say that his behaviour in 2016 doesn't do him any favors. That said, he has improved a lot as a road cyclist the last few years, and now I would put him among the best of the rest (Kittel is in a league of his own, and then we have Kristoff, Cavendish and Greipel in the second tier) together with Degenkolb, Sagan and Bouhanni.

This...

I think he’s really lucky to win again this year because if Cav didn’t do the last sprint then Gaviria would have lost the title. I had really bad luck. For sure my consideration of Cav changed after yesterday. I don’t know why he did that. Maybe he spoke with Gaviria, I don’t know, but sure my consideration of Cav completely changed. He absolutely saw me in the sprint and he did the sprint for the line. He was 20 points from fifth place and many points from seventh place. I don’t understand that.

...wouldn't have been a problem if Viviani had just applied himself to the race and sprinted more than a token couple of times and then after it was too late. It's also odd how he tweeted something along these lines, then posted photos of the British madison win, praising it/them. I guess someone at Sky, since their logo is still all over Team GB stuff, read him the riot act.

If he really wanted to race for the jersey he did a shitty job. Like seriously. Almost never competing in a sprintlap, letting everyone else take a lap and still get beaten in the last sprint? Gaviria also did not his very best performance but he at least took some sprints.

Agreed. He's quite a sore loser, and should really change his tactics, both on road and on track. When sprinting during road stages, he's often bad positioned, losing wheels and such. And we've seen at the track worlds the way he raced, absolutely zero tactical acumen.

That aside, the guy is definitely among the best sprinters nowadays, really really fast. Should grow up mentally a notch.

Re:

Pippo_San said:
Agreed. He's quite a sore loser, and should really change his tactics, both on road and on track. When sprinting during road stages, he's often bad positioned, losing wheels and such. And we've seen at the track worlds the way he raced, absolutely zero tactical acumen.

That aside, the guy is definitely among the best sprinters nowadays, really really fast. Should grow up mentally a notch.

A few conversations with Steve Peter's might be in order.

I think that viviani won't never become the most dominant sprinter but considering that he has done a lot of track until 2016 he's a very good rider. More versatile than many pure sprinters. Lefevere said that viviani can win more than kittel last year, people were laughing at him but he 's already at the sixth victory.

EroicaStradeBianche said:
I think that viviani won't never become the most dominant sprinter but considering that he has done a lot of track until 2016 he's a very good rider. More versatile than many pure sprinters. Lefevere said that viviani can win more than kittel last year, people were laughing at him but he 's already at the sixth victory.

So, you're saying he will? ;)

Re:

jmdirt said:
De Panne a good win for him! When he moved to Q-S, I figured that he wouldn't get many chances, but he has carved his spot in the team.
Really? When I saw his program I pretty much declared him victory champion of 2018. Knowing how weak the field is in both the Giro and Vuelta, he could literally win a free stage or 10. Barring crashes and such of course. He has the ideal setup and team.

Re: Re:

DNP-Old said:
jmdirt said:
De Panne a good win for him! When he moved to Q-S, I figured that he wouldn't get many chances, but he has carved his spot in the team.
Really? When I saw his program I pretty much declared him victory champion of 2018. Knowing how weak the field is in both the Giro and Vuelta, he could literally win a free stage or 10. Barring crashes and such of course. He has the ideal setup and team.
Yeah. Coquard must feel stupid now that he didn't take that schedule, because he desperately wanted to do the Tour.

Since Greipel is taken out by injury and Guardini isn't winning sprints in Langkawi atm, there's not much competition for Viviani at the Giro. Van Poppel shouldn't really step up his game this year and Mareczko is in stagnation. Ewan though might still become the better sprinter, based on his M-SM performance. But he won't have a full train.

From what I know about Viviani his Giro is pretty much over, last year he had an enormous summer but then faded and was losing wheels on every hill (or getting beaten by Colbrelli in some italian semi-classics) in september
Can be fatigue for him, he's on form since january.
This is also his first GT in the last 3 years.
Anyway he has already 9 victories this season, not bad

From what I know about Viviani his Giro is pretty much over, last year he had an enormous summer but then faded and was losing wheels on every hill (or getting beaten by Colbrelli in some italian semi-classics) in september

Even if you are right and he is so exhausted that he is dead for the rest of the Giro, today should be easy enough for him to still contest the sprint and once he is present he has a good shot. After all there is really only one other top level sprinter in the race and Viviani has a stronger lead out.

Zinoviev Letter said:

Even if you are right and he is so exhausted that he is dead for the rest of the Giro, today should be easy enough for him to still contest the sprint and once he is present he has a good shot. After all there is really only one other top level sprinter in the race and Viviani has a stronger lead out.

Indeed. :cool:

9 wins already this year, including four Giro stages. That’s already much better than last year’s breakthrough year. I like watching this guy sprint - he is one of the very fastest sprinters, but probably slightly slower than some of his peers in the top group. So he beats the second and third tier guys with raw speed and beats top tier guys with his head. He consistently makes better decisions than his rivals. His positioning is superb, his timing is superb. You can learn a lot more about sprinting by watching him than you can by watching a rider who wins simply by being the fastest and loses if he isn’t.

It’s worth noting too that he has learned to make the right decisions. It isn’t some innate knack. He wasn’t always this good at it.

TRENDING THREADS