Vuelta 2012, Stage 19: Peñafiel > La Lastrilla (178.4 km)

Vuelta 2012, Stage 19: Peñafiel > La Lastrilla (178.4 km)



breakaway stage imo, saxo won't chase the break because it has an hill top finish where purito could gain time on contador and katusha doesn't seem to have the stage to bring the break back.

super fast 2 hours and then the peloton cruises to the line 10 minutes behind the winner.
 
Parrulo said:
breakaway stage imo, saxo won't chase the break because it has an hill top finish where purito could gain time on contador and katusha doesn't seem to have the stage to bring the break back.

super fast 2 hours and then the peloton cruises to the line 10 minutes behind the winner.
Contador attacks on the final climb.
 
For my 1st ever post on here I'll go for a prediction.

Gilbert ftw.

If I get it wrong then things can only get better from here on in, which seems like a sensible start to things to me.
 
Jan 2, 2010
395
0
0
One of those stages where some of the best action is likely before coverage as riders and teams scramble to get in the break. There are a lot of teams with nothing to show for this race and a lot of very good riders who aren't a threat on GC.
 
Aug 16, 2011
10,821
0
0
Think the break will succeed on this stage. The GC guys won't want to work too hard with Bola Del Mundo the next day. Would be nice if Moncutie could get in the break and go for the win here since he can't get win the KOM now. De Gendt might go in the break as well.
 
I smell Katusha might be cooking something in the stew for this one. If they still possess horsepower of course they surely will take revenge for Fuente De and the most obvious choice would be saving themselves for La Bola. But that is Contadors homeground and not idyllic coming into that stage with Jrod forced into attacking mode to try out something. If they will try to fight back this would be the stage.

Purito should be the favourite if the bunch comes in Lastrilla togehter. But how will the nature of his win looks like? Saxo-Bank needs to pay attention tomorrow.
 
May 27, 2010
5,376
0
0
Depends on whether BMC and katusha chase. Otherwise I can see the break taking it. if it comes to a sprint then Gilbert for the win!

PHILIPPE GILBERT ‏@Phil_Gilbert1
47,7 average so a hard day again! Tomorrow nice finish not hard not easy just in between like i like it!

They are probably gonna chase, its gonna come down to Jrod or Gilbert with meersman maybe.
 
dlwssonic said:
Depends on whether BMC and katusha chase. Otherwise I can see the break taking it. if it comes to a sprint then Gilbert for the win!

PHILIPPE GILBERT ‏@Phil_Gilbert1
47,7 average so a hard day again! Tomorrow nice finish not hard not easy just in between like i like it!

They are probably gonna chase, its gonna come down to Jrod or Gilbert with meersman maybe.
my thoughts exactly...
 
Jul 22, 2009
68
0
0
Plenty of teams will think they have a shot at the stage in a bunch finish. With the annihilation of break-aways that we've seen so far in the Vuelta, it has to be a perfect combination of riders from the right teams in order for them to stay away.
 
Feb 8, 2012
21
0
0
Valverde may have a say on this. He won't let Purito get away with the stage+time bonus that easily. And the finish suits him fairly well.

Anyway, I see a break going all the way. Everyone is dead tired to chase.
 
Jul 8, 2010
1,366
0
0
More Strides than Rides said:
Looks like the last 2k are about 5%? Maybe 6%-4% over the final two? Not too hard normally, but after 19 stages, it may be a fair fight between Degenkolb and someone on an early jumper
Something like that. It's less than 5% average, because the height difference is somewhere 90 meters. I think in a sprint finish like this Valverde is faster. But I can see Degenkolb will win this, or Davis could survive too.
 
Afrank said:
Think the break will succeed on this stage. The GC guys won't want to work too hard with Bola Del Mundo the next day. Would be nice if Moncutie could get in the break and go for the win here since he can't get win the KOM now. De Gendt might go in the break as well.

Agree. Also wish Moncoutie can win the stage and go out with a bang.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS