• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta 2017, Stage 2: Nîmes - Gruissan. Grand Narbon 203.4km

Fernando Escartín commentary

Flat. This stage will be one of the few in this year's Vuelta to end with a sprint to the finish-line. The stage will take place entirely in France, with all the obstacles that this implies: lots of roundabouts and central isles, all of which will force the peloton to ride in a straight line. Special attention must be paid to the crosswind and the echelons found along the coastline.

CARTE.jpg

PROFIL.png

Last km
PROFILKMS.png

Let's hope for the wind...

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
What sprinters are even here? Degenkolb and Cort I know of but I imagine Trek and Orica won't do anything to bring a break back since GC things. Who else ??

Re:

deValtos said:
What sprinters are even here? Degenkolb and Cort I know of but I imagine Trek and Orica won't do anything to bring a break back since GC things. Who else ??

Schwarzmann, Debuschere, Blythe, Lobato... But it's really thin. After that you already have to take guys like Mørkov, Haller, Reguigui or Anthony Roux. But I really don't know who would trust their sprinter enough to chase all day. Maybe the Lottos, but that's it.

Re:

PremierAndrew said:
South Easternly winds of around 25-35km/h expected - literally perfect

Massive potential for echelon action between 80-10 km to go. Dont see a breakaway surviving with the GC teams going ham
Are you sure about it?
NW in mid twenties of kph is what I've managed to see.
The direction is good, either way, but the strength makes a difference.

Re: Re:

Sestriere said:
deValtos said:

Schwarzmann, Debuschere, Blythe, Lobato... But it's really thin. After that you already have to take guys like Mørkov, Haller, Reguigui or Anthony Roux. But I really don't know who would trust their sprinter enough to chase all day. Maybe the Lottos, but that's it.

Blythe to bulls**t his way to at least one stage win, in his quest to become a lesser Matt Goss.

sir fly said:
PremierAndrew said:
South Easternly winds of around 25-35km/h expected - literally perfect

Massive potential for echelon action between 80-10 km to go. Dont see a breakaway surviving with the GC teams going ham
Are you sure about it?
NW in mid twenties of kph is what I've managed to see.
The direction is good, either way, but the strength makes a difference.

The wind is from the NW (I guess you could say it's travelling SE). My forecasts predict mid 20s with gusts in the low 30s. So there does seem to be some potential for echelons.

Great to see such a plethora of sprinting talent on such a parcours. I'm expecting great things from Degenkolb and Modolo after they took the TTT easy ;)

Sestriere said:
deValtos said:

Modolo is here, I imagine UAE will chase

axl

Aug 19, 2017
Visit site
Re: Vuelta 2017, Stage 2: Nîmes - Gruissan. Grand Narbon 203

Trentin is exactly 6s behind the red jersey. If he wins, he takes it (i doubt any of the bmc rider can do a top3).
But does he take it if he finishes 2nd ? I think the milliseconds make the decision but I cant find them.

Now Trentin finishing 1st or 2nd in a sprint is something quite possible, so BMC could be reticent to ride on the breakaway. Could they try to let go a breakaway with no dangerous rider (>40s in GC) and let them win with a short margin (<30s) ?

Sestriere said:
deValtos said:

Mørkøv. But yeah, he's going for it. Which... means there are two Danes with - at least somewhat - realistic chances for a stage win on the same stage. Can't remember when that last happened...

GenericBoonenFan said:
Sestriere said:
deValtos said:

Modolo is here, I imagine UAE will chase

Yep, seems I just missed him while scanning the start list... Of course he'll be one of the fastest in this field.

TRENDING THREADS