Vuelta 2017, Stage 4: Escaldes-Engordany/Tarragona 198.2km

May 11, 2017
237
18
2,060
Fernando Escartín commentary:

Flat. This will be the second sprint to the finish-line, another of the few opportunities for sprinters in the 2017 Vuelta. We may have a few breakaways at the beginning, but the sprinter teams will be able to control them and head down to Tarragona in order to win the stage.



Mountain passes & hills:
Km 132.0 - Alto de Belltall.13 kilometre-long climb at 2.8% - category 3




Last 5km:


Start: 12:57 CEST, Finish: 17:27-17:54 CEST, Live pictures from 15:00 CEST
Quite technical finale with many roundabouts, slightly uphill. Positioning will be crucial. No crashes hopefully.
 
That finish looks ridiculously hard to get right - four 90 degree turns in the last km and then a slight uphill drag to the line. It's going to be very unpredictable I think with maybe someone unexpected positioning well and timing the sprint perfectly to take the win. Maybe even a solo Postlberger style attack could work.
 
Re:

DFA123 said:
That finish looks ridiculously hard to get right - four 90 degree turns in the last km and then a slight uphill drag to the line. It's going to be very unpredictable I think with maybe someone unexpected positioning well and timing the sprint perfectly to take the win. Maybe even a solo Postlberger style attack could work.
The roundabout at the 3 km mark combined with the 90 degree turn beforehand has the potential to be absolute carnage.
 
May 11, 2017
237
18
2,060
Re:

carolina said:
What is the blue line in the first picture?
From rulebook:

Recommended Parallel Route
To make the race itinerary, which is sometimes lined with very large numbers of spectators, safe, it may be useful to reserve this route only for essential vehicles. Whenever it is possible, it will be established a recommended parallel route (with more important and faster roads) that allows accredited persons to get from the starting zone to the finish area without having to cover the whole stage. This recommended parallel route will be included in the route book.
 
Re: Re:

King Boonen said:
DFA123 said:
That finish looks ridiculously hard to get right - four 90 degree turns in the last km and then a slight uphill drag to the line. It's going to be very unpredictable I think with maybe someone unexpected positioning well and timing the sprint perfectly to take the win. Maybe even a solo Postlberger style attack could work.
The roundabout at the 3 km mark combined with the 90 degree turn beforehand has the potential to be absolute carnage.
Yep, I've got a slightly bad feeling about this stage. I guess the good thing is that there are not too many big sprint trains here, and the run in until the last km is on really big wide roads. But, then the last km is on fairly narrow roads, and the very last corner has a big brick wall making a pinch point with no margin for error.

Certainly not the best designed sprint finish.
 
Quickstep probably did better homework than everyone else so Trentin for the win.

Degenkolb needs to win because he's on my team in a game, but I guess he was feeling bad yesterday.
 
Jun 11, 2011
169
0
8,830
Re:

Jspear said:
Quickstep probably did better homework than everyone else so Trentin for the win.

Degenkolb needs to win because he's on my team in a game, but I guess he was feeling bad yesterday.
Read on a danish website (feltet.dk) that Degenkolb is sick and that Theuns will be their sprinter today.
 
Jul 16, 2011
1,551
0
0
Eurosport in Polish: discussions of garlic, human pyramids and a short description of the Church of St. John. It must be a transition stage.
 
Re:

Tank Engine said:
Eurosport in Polish: discussions of garlic, human pyramids and a short description of the Church of St. John. It must be a transition stage.
That must be great. To be honest I don't even know why GTs include these stages anymore. It's kind of soothing to watch everyone tool along at 35kmph but why not shake things up with a short circuit stage, US-criterium style -- then at least you'd have more attacks...(stifles yawn)
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY