• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España - Stage 18: September 17: Talavera de la Reina - AVILAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Vuelta a España - Stage 18: September 17: Talavera de la Reina - AVILAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Oh VDB, I miss you :(
God in Avila

18_perfil.gif

Gesink will probably lose it today =/

It depends on what Liquigas or Euskaltel have in mind.
I don't think Caisse is going to launch Valverde for the stage win,they will be happy if a breakaway stays clear and takes the bonus seconds.
Now,if Basso or Sammy's teams will try something and manage to catch the escapees,i suppose Piti will use his final surge to take the stage.

Fuglsang said a couple of days ago he still eyes a stage win and was pointing towards this one as being perfect for him. We'll probably see him in the break.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
laurentiu46 said:
It depends on what Liquigas or Euskaltel have in mind.
I don't think Caisse is going to launch Valverde for the stage win,they will be happy if a breakaway stays clear and takes the bonus seconds.
Now,if Basso or Sammy's teams will try something and manage to catch the escapees,i suppose Piti will use his final surge to take the stage.

Fuglsang said a couple of days ago he still eyes a stage win and was pointing towards this one as being perfect for him. We'll probably see him in the break.

if sammy wants to win, sammy's gotta go tonight. same with anyone else who wants to win this race. can't wait till tomorrow. personally i hope valverde crumbles.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I hope that Sanchez, Basso and Evans all go for it today but I get the feeling that they will wait for tomorrow for some reason, and even though I find it hard to like Valverde, the guy has ridden a good race. So unless he has a shocker...I can't see much changing today.

I think both of them.
Maybe Liquigas will try to shred the peloton,but 50 k from the finish is pretty far.
Trying a solo attack is also not very likely,because there's plenty of time for Caisse to reel it back.
Besides,the cat 3 climb isn't steep at all,while the descent is too short to make the difference.
But even if a breakaway will succeed,we might see a little gap between the favourites. I don't think Basso or Mosquera can match Valverde's speed in the last hundreds of meters,if AV will sprint like he did it at Cati or Sierra Nevada.

Man,RG's knee looks bad.:eek:
Hopefully he'll be able to hang on.
But,imo,Sammy will relegate him to third after Toledo,if not tomorrow.

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
I think you will find Fuglsang in the break. Perhaps Devolder.

Fuji will send someone up the road - De La Fuente. Hoogerland will try a break.

All the guys who have tried breaks before without success will try again - well the main guys that have that is.

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
They have to try something if they try to roll in together Valverde will just grab another handful of seconds with his explosive sprinting ability. WTF is up with that anyway, how can a guy climb with the elite yet completely dust most of the peloton in a sprint.

akzaaf said:
Vuelta a Espa&#241]

The 'a' key get stuck did it zaaf;)

And what is with all the hate for my main man Valv piti:D

He only did what all other cyclists were doing. It is just unfortunate that CONI decided to go after him and him only. It should have been dealt with in 06 there and then.

I also agree that the only one who might possibe lose some time today is Gesink which is unfortunate as it is not the way you should lose time.

Gesink_Tifosi said:
Gesink said on his twitter he slept well and riding on the rollers went good. So there is hope...

Also about him on the rollers this morning...........do you think he would tell us he isnt feeling that good if he wasn't, cos i wouldn't want to show any kind of weakness to my rivals if it was me.

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
El Imbatido said:
It should have been dealt with in 06 there and then.
+1 It would be all over and done with by now, suspension served and he could still be leading this race.

I also agree that the only one who might possibe lose some time today is Gesink which is unfortunate as it is not the way you should lose time. Also about him on the rollers this morning...........do you think he would tell us he isnt feeling that good if he wasn't, cos i wouldn't want to show any kind of weakness to my rivals if it was me.
This peleton doesn't seem very compassionate, so i think he will be put under alot of pressure. Basso, Cadel and Sanchez would be silly not to try and gain some time while they have a chance(not sportsman like, maybe, but this isn't a sport anymore it's a business and these guys earn their keep winning races.).

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Besides Meier, who had to abandon due to a very unfortunate event, there are 3 more who did not start:

35 Iglinskiy (KAZ, AST)
114 Hesjedal (CAN, GRM)
173 B. Grabsch (GER, THR)

Chérel and Gilbert were the first who attempted a break away, but are caught back again by the peloton...

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
A nice little group has formed, 30s gap with the peloton:

12 riders:
62 Deignan (IRE, CTT) +17:49
89 Vázquez (SPA, MCO) +23:02
33 J. Hernández (SPA, AST) +23:24
71 Moncoutié (FRA, COF) +37:49
216 D. Herrero (SPA, XGZ) +47:51
11 Valjavec (SVN, ALM) +57:33
2 Antón (SPA, EUS) +1:00:54
195 Fuglsang (DEN, SAX) +1:17:53
94 Di Gregorio (FRA, FDJ) +1:28:31
135 Kreuziger (CZE, LIQ) +1:29:11
79 Taaramäe (EST, COF) +1:42:55
104 Del Nero (SPA, FUJ) +1:46:34

Perhaps Moncoutie will ride to support Taaramae? Is Anton setting something up for Sammy, and Kreuziger for Basso? Or will they be going for the stage, which seems more realistic...

Fuglsang is there as well, as someone already mentioned that he was eyeballing this one in particular. Good group!

EDIT> since it looks like the peloton lets the group go, 4 more riders are trying to get away and make it to the front:

93 Chérel (FRA, FDJ) +33:48
165 Gilbert (BEL, SIL) +1:14:17
76 B. Fernández (SPA, COF) +1:26:39
193 Breschel (DEN, SAX) +1:39:37

I doubt they'll like having Gilbert around though ;)

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
ak-zaaf said:
That's sad. :(

That is really sad!! I will be thinking about his family today!!

On a more positive note...I hope Gesink can hold on and surprise. I know if it was me...I would not attack him, as he has been a main animator in this race. Just does not seem right...even though it is part of the sport. Rock on!!

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Bala Verde said:
EDIT> since it looks like the peloton lets the group go, 4 more riders are trying to get away and make it to the front:

93 Chérel (FRA, FDJ) +33:48
165 Gilbert (BEL, SIL) +1:14:17
76 B. Fernández (SPA, COF) +1:26:39
193 Breschel (DEN, SAX) +1:39:37

I doubt they'll like having Gilbert around though ;)

+2 saxo's and 3 cofidis riders. Gilbert won't be the biggest problem :)

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
ak-zaaf said:
+2 saxo's and 3 cofidis riders. Gilbert won't be the biggest problem :)

Ha! A cofidis coup a la l'Ain is in the making then. Let's hope Taaramae doesn't misjudge the mediano. Wouldnt want to see him parked like he did on Cati...

Anyway the 4 joined the breakaway, so the ball's in the COF/SAX court.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Moondance said:
Maybe you now apreciate poor Jakob Fuglsang a bit more... :rolleyes:

lol at you comparing their injuries.. did you see that hole in his knee?
I was compassionate, i just said fugslang was overrated.. and stand by my comment, he was never going to contend imo (you seem to grudge opinions though?).. get over it mate. ;)
PS: I think he is a great rider, and has shown a lot of heart at this year's vuelta. I just didn't believe he was gonna contend.

ak-zaaf said:
That's sad. :(

wow that is sad :(

TRENDING THREADS