• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España 2019 Rumours

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Akuryo said:
Zinoviev Letter said:
What sprinters are actually going to do the Vuelta anyway? Bennett, Jakobsen?...

Should be between those two every time. I dont see anyone really challenging them. But its the Vuelta, so that is nothing new. A few years ago Gianni Meersman was winning a bunch of Vuelta stages. So Bennett against Jakobsen is already an upgrade compared to Meersman vs Schwarzmann and Feline.

I suppose Gaviria could be there since he missed TDF. Who knows. Lot of top riders already did the Giro/Tour double like Viviani and Ewan. I would like to see Ewan in Vuelta since he looks to be in good form.

Re: Re:

Lequack said:
tobydawq said:
I think Ser Gregor is a bit too heavy to be of much use in the Vuelta.

KttOAgs.jpg

Now that's an advertisement for Tommasini's bike frames if ever I've seen one.

Just played 150 DKK on Valverde for La Vuelta. 15 times the money back.

Another pretty interesting rider could be Dani Martinez. Skipped the Tour due to inury, just won the panamarican TT and will ride Utah. If he is flying in the mountains in that race, look out!

I think Ser Gregor is a bit too heavy to be of much use in the Vuelta.
You guys are missing the point here. The mountains's brother is called the hound, while chris froome is the dawg, so If he posts a picture of the hounds (dawgs) brother that obviously means brailsford has just signed chris froome's genetically improved, evil brother, who is gonna crush (literally?) everyone at the vuelta.

You guys are missing the point here. The mountains's brother is called the hound, while chris froome is the dawg, so If he posts a picture of the hounds (dawgs) brother that obviously means brailsford has just signed chris froome's genetically improved, evil brother, who is gonna crush (literally?) everyone at the vuelta.
Honestly S8 was too disappointing for me to keep memeing GoT.

In fact while watching the final episodes I felt as if you were watching it with me

Even with a weak field it seems a bit low to me.

Is Aru riding? I'm seeing Aru at 67
It probably is and as of right now, its 17. But who cares.
Roglic is the big favourite IMO just ahead of Carapaz and Lopez. But how does he deal with 2 GTs? I assume pretty well, but you never know.

Valverde is known for riding at his absolute best level in this race and they probably will line up with the strongest team. I can see it happening, but then again I can always see Valverde winning.

It probably is and as of right now, its 17. But who cares.
Roglic is the big favourite IMO just ahead of Carapaz and Lopez. But how does he deal with 2 GTs? I assume pretty well, but you never know.

Valverde is known for riding at his absolute best level in this race and they probably will line up with the strongest team. I can see it happening, but then again I can always see Valverde winning.
I just don't see it for Valverde because I don't see a winning condition. He got dropped on all but one climb in the Tour, and he's not gonna lay waste to all his rivals in the ITT either. Movistar has a better option right there with Carapaz.

For betting I'd probably consider Roglic, Kruijswijk or Aru

I just don't see it for Valverde because I don't see a winning condition. He got dropped on all but one climb in the Tour, and he's not gonna lay waste to all his rivals in the ITT either. Movistar has a better option right there with Carapaz.

For betting I'd probably consider Roglic, Kruijswijk or Aru

I might consider Valverde for podium contention, except he rode the Tour pretty hard and there will be fresher legs among the top contenders. Carapaz and Roglic will have had more time to rest and rebuild their form. Same with MAL (who hasn't looked dominant in the Tour of Poland, but maybe he is coming in a bit undercooked).

I might consider Valverde for podium contention, except he rode the Tour pretty hard and there will be fresher legs among the top contenders. Carapaz and Roglic will have had more time to rest and rebuild their form. Same with MAL (who hasn't looked dominant in the Tour of Poland, but maybe he is coming in a bit undercooked).

Be interesting to see how the riders back up from the Giro. Some don't handle a second grand tour very well. Lopez looked a little out of sorts at the Giro. I think Landa would have been better to dodge the Tour and do the Vuelta. Dumoulin's season has been a write off. Quintana might be an interesting one. When he won the Vuelta in 2016 he also rode the Tour beforehand but his Tour form was also better that year with a third place.

The Eurosport commentators for the tour of Poland were saying that Roglic will not be at La Vuelta. They were speculating whether this meant that he might be on the move to another team as a result of the possible arrival of Dumoulin.

I have no doubts about whether Valverde will hit the peak form for Vuelta, Tour was just a hard training for him, he has done this combo many times.
But I have doubts whether Valverde's peak form right now is enough for his usual (podium/top 5 + couple of stages) performance.

Roglic - GC favourite, without a doubt. Best top level, seems like he has a very nice team and hasn't rode the Tour.
Carapaz - the second biggest favourite. Was a decent amount better than Roglic in the mountains in the Giro, but its also easier to make big differences compared to the Vuelta where its slightly easier. On the other hand, there won't be as many kms against the clock. Paradoxically, I think the more explosive Vuelta stages suits Roglic more.
Lopez - third biggest favourite, disappointing Giro, but he is made for stage racing. If he can get on his 2017-level I think he has good chances of winning.
Valverde/Quintana - both have regressed, but both can STILL win. Movistar will keep them up in the GC and try to throw them at Jumbo like they did in the Giro.
Mas - really, really needs to show something this year and I think he will. Could also win, but unlikely (if he rides).
Kruijswijk - consistent as ever, but I just dont think he has the top level to deliver the goods. Could prove an incredible important luxury domestique.

Those are the guys that IMO can win the race this year, excluding Kruijswijk.

Simon Yates has ridden two GTs, so I just dont believe in him. Ineos has Thomas I guess, but he will prepare for the Worlds I heard. Hart and Poels can top-10. Guys like Pogacar, and Hiquita if selected, could be very interesting to follow.

As ever, the least anticipated GT by far, but I still love this race. Vamos Bala!

Roglic - GC favourite, without a doubt. Best top level, seems like he has a very nice team and hasn't rode the Tour.
Carapaz - the second biggest favourite. Was a decent amount better than Roglic in the mountains in the Giro, but its also easier to make big differences compared to the Vuelta where its slightly easier. On the other hand, there won't be as many kms against the clock. Paradoxically, I think the more explosive Vuelta stages suits Roglic more.
Lopez - third biggest favourite, disappointing Giro, but he is made for stage racing. If he can get on his 2017-level I think he has good chances of winning.
Valverde/Quintana - both have regressed, but both can STILL win. Movistar will keep them up in the GC and try to throw them at Jumbo like they did in the Giro.
Mas - really, really needs to show something this year and I think he will. Could also win, but unlikely (if he rides).
Kruijswijk - consistent as ever, but I just dont think he has the top level to deliver the goods. Could prove an incredible important luxury domestique.

Those are the guys that IMO can win the race this year, excluding Kruijswijk.

Simon Yates has ridden two GTs, so I just dont believe in him. Ineos has Thomas I guess, but he will prepare for the Worlds I heard. Hart and Poels can top-10. Guys like Pogacar, and Hiquita if selected, could be very interesting to follow.

As ever, the least anticipated GT by far, but I still love this race. Vamos Bala!

Simon Yates is doing a third grand tour ? Weird. I think it's out of Roglic, Carapaz and Lopez. Quintana possibly for the podium. Can't see the winner being anyone else except maybe Thomas. Not sure the race suits him but as for the Worlds, surely Thomas couldn't win on that course..........don't know if Chaves or Uran is doing the Vuelta. Chaves not riding at his best level lately but he's had issues like Aru.

I think Lopez level this year is the same as last year. He has been good. In the Giro this year there was a combination of bad luck and tactical ineptitude.
Interest in knowing if Uran will go. Chaves is very positive and he has been getting better and better as the year progresses.
Roglic is the favorite I agree.

Simon Yates is doing a third grand tour ? Weird. I think it's out of Roglic, Carapaz and Lopez. Quintana possibly for the podium. Can't see the winner being anyone else except maybe Thomas. Not sure the race suits him but as for the Worlds, surely Thomas couldn't win on that course..........don't know if Chaves or Uran is doing the Vuelta. Chaves not riding at his best level lately but he's had issues like Aru.

Chaves is racing for GC at the Vuelta - How that goes is anyone's guess,especially when Mitchelton Scott will only have an average team for the TTT (check their squad for the Czech Tour ) and the ITT is usually flattish at the Vuelta which puts Chaves behind the eight ball - believe it or not there is a small chance that S.Yates will ride the Vuelta as a stage hunter - In reference to Thomas - He can be very competitive in the world's if he has the right preparation.

Reactions: movingtarget
So, there is a chance we have 3 first time grand tour winners, must be a while since that happened since Froome, Nibs, Contador won such a high % over the last 10 years (I can't get into wiki to check, and i'm too hungover to try and work it out).

IMO Thomas is making a mistake by skipping Vuelta in favor of World ITT, if that is the final decision. He would be a podium favorite if not THE favorite for the win. He looked pretty fresh at the end of the Tour and might be riding with a bit of a chip on his shoulder b/c Bernal stole his thunder.

Otherwise, I'm hoping we get another first-time GT winner.

Reactions: KZD
Everyone looks a bit under cooked/rubbish, which means the chances of some ridiculous 500/1 outsider winning are drastically increased. Waiting for some randomer to start lighting up the tour of utah before i put my money down.

I'm still holding out for froome turning up in a tin helmet.

I agree with this. There is nobody I would confidently put money on and it does feel like there are 2011 vibes.

I have Roglic as my favourite and want him to win but he hasn’t raced since the nationals road race so no idea if he is in shape. If he is then the projected team is vastly better than the callow group of non climbers that let him down in the Giro.

TRENDING THREADS