• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España Vuelta a España 2020: Stage 11 (Villaviciosa › Alto de La Farrapona. Lagos de Somiedo 170km)

Page 17 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I understand why Jumbo took it easy today, they mainly had Hofstede and the vineyard boy keep the gap to Soler under contol. The Angliru is super steep and nothing will happen before it, so just pure strength will count. The tried to save energy and keep Kuss save for the Angliru.

Reactions: JosefK
Enric Mas (Movistar Team): “It was our plan, to have Marc [Soler] at the front so he can try to win the stage and gain some time on GC.
Eventually, Soler didn't win and lost quite a lot of earned time. Playing games with Gaudu.
If they have given up on the idea that their rider will win or take place on the box in this race, that's okay; But I didn't feel it that way before the race (stage).

P.S. I know *** happens, but why always to Movistar? ;)

Last edited:
yet jumbo has won exactly 0 GT this year.
Heck they only won Ain as GC with Roglic?
He probably didn't mean ruining them by winning them. But ruining them with the tactics they use while riding them.

But people have short memory. Not long ago (yesterday) this Vuelta was considered an exciting race. Now because in a stage where everyone was expecting fireworks, much didn't happen, suddenly the race is boring. Tomorrow when we'll have a great stage to Angliru again the race will be exciting. It will depend though. If Roglič and Carapaz finish s.t., it will probably be considered boring. If Carapaz gains 30s or more, it will be considered exciting.

The intensity plays a huge role. Roglic tried to win the Tour de l'Ain, the Criterium Dauphine Libere, the Tour de France the World Championship and Liege-Bastogne-Liege and had to produce a lot of excellent efforts. I have a nice database of climbing times (of course it does not contain all climbs, but a lot). One can count how long a rider rode 6W/kg and so on climbs I measured this year:
W/kgRoglicCarapazMasMartinCarthy
>83:38002:460
>7.57:29002:460
>714:58002:460
>6.52:05:361:56:341:31:1638:071:11:16
>64:52:423:37:376:02:411:50:523:26:58
>5.59:17:176:08:298:19:033:33:584:00:48

This means that Roglic rode at least 5.5 W/kg for 9 hours 17 minutes and 17 seconds and so on.
I did not noticed that Mas had a long Season, too. However, Roglic had a lot more high intensity efforts.
Yes, Roglić is the strongest. And he was in the TdF either. Until stage 20. :)
So I'm all the more sorry that this year there will be no stage 20. in the La Vuelta.

For those not understanding Movistar wanting 3 riders in the top 10, well I posted an article in Spanish on a threat around here somewhere where their DS Lastras says that yes they are racing for Mas, but they have also specifically asked Valverde and Soler to do the best they can to stay as close to Mas as possible in GC. In previous years it was obvious that some of their riders were actually racing against each other and the team was chasing down certain of their riders. That is the one big difference this year. Mas, Valverde, and Soler are racing together, not against each other. The problem is Mas is the best climber of the 3 and his current level is a bit lower than at least Roglic and Carapaz. This year it actually appears they do have an actual overall plan, it's just a matter of they just may not be capable of executing the plan.

I agree - problem is, when you see five Jumbos while you yourself are on your own you probably don't feel like attacking. Roglic and the Jumbos are just the strongest. Movistar tried something today, it looked a bit funny again, but I have to admit, they actually tried. They just have the weaker riders.
They tried to win the stage and to gain time, they almost did both, so hardly looked funny...
And four of the five Jumbo's would drop like a stone if some serious attack came. Roglic didn't feel great, so in my book wasted opportunity for Carapaz mainly, maybe for Martin and Carthy too, although I don't believe in their overall chances much...

Probably. After all I think decades of torture from two previous teams has made Jumbo's style no longer as annoying, especially that they didn't suddenly come big out of nowhere with pretentious reinventing cycling images whatever ***.
It was one Tour, which they lost. Yeah Tour de l'Ain and Dauphine were bad, but whatever.

Roglic doesn't have the inevitable feeling that Froome had. It's actually possible to attack him, today the other guys just chose not to.

Now there's a Vuelta with an arguably weak field where Jumbo did go missing once or twice and where they've hardly totally ripped it. They jsut systematically have 3 guys in the last 15 with Kuss and Bennett. Not totally unheard of.

Reactions: gunara
It was one Tour, which they lost. Yeah Tour de l'Ain and Dauphine were bad, but whatever.

Roglic doesn't have the inevitable feeling that Froome had. It's actually possible to attack him, today the other guys just chose not to.

Now there's a Vuelta with an arguably weak field where Jumbo did go missing once or twice and where they've hardly totally ripped it. They jsut systematically have 3 guys in the last 15 with Kuss and Bennett. Not totally unheard of.

It's not like they are the only ones with 3 riders in the last 15-20 riders either. Granted Movistar's 3 are all sort of riding for themselves while 2 are helping Mas, where as Jumbo's 2 are all in for their leader.

Reactions: Luthor and Red Rick
The Movistar bashing and memeing is getting out of hand. They put Soler in prime position to gain time in GC and win the stage. Gaudu is an amazing climber, it's no shame to narrowly lose against him on a MTF.

Granted, Soler will probably pay for today tomorrow but they were at least doing something and not just riding the train and then sprint at the finish.

Forum meme's are often a lot of fun and are not to be taken too seriously.

I think that Movistar have achieved close to what they should have achieved in GT's as far as GC is concerned. 2014 Giro, 2016 Vuelta, 2019 Giro; 3 victories from about 20, and they have never had the strongest rider in the peloton (at least overall, maybe once or twice in individual races).

The intensity plays a huge role. Roglic tried to win the Tour de l'Ain, the Criterium Dauphine Libere, the Tour de France the World Championship and Liege-Bastogne-Liege and had to produce a lot of excellent efforts. I have a nice database of climbing times (of course it does not contain all climbs, but a lot). One can count how long a rider rode 6W/kg and so on climbs I measured this year:
W/kgRoglicCarapazMasMartinCarthy
>83:38002:460
>7.57:29002:460
>714:58002:460
>6.52:05:361:56:341:31:1638:071:11:16
>64:52:423:37:376:02:411:50:523:26:58
>5.59:17:176:08:298:19:033:33:584:00:48

This means that Roglic rode at least 5.5 W/kg for 9 hours 17 minutes and 17 seconds and so on.
I did not noticed that Mas had a long Season, too. However, Roglic had a lot more high intensity efforts.

Where in the hell have you been these past nine years?!

2012 Giro and Tour put you off the sport, didn't they? :laughing:

Looking forward to further great posts from you.

Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS