• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España Vuelta a España 2020: Stage 13 (Muros > Mirador de Ézaro 33.7 km ITT)

Page 23 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
It is a timed race: these are times. Carthy was .37 seconds away from being on a time 1 second less; Roglic would have had to have been .48 seconds quicker for the same benefit.

But it is exceedingly unlikely to be brought into effect. Someone will be along, no doubt, to say what the biggest result (rather than simply determining skinsuit colour in a timetrial) that has been thus determined has been.

When there is no TT (or, I suppose, if fractions of a TT second are the same) then it is total of finishing places, not Green Jersey points (so the difference between 30th and 80th in a large bunch finish is potentially very relevant.)
I do get that argument, but given how time gaps are calculated in the race itself, that 0.48 seconds would probably get lost in the noise if you checked all the actual timegaps where Carthy tailed in near the back of a group at ST, or allowed for rounding off of Roglic's deficits on Formigal and Angliru. I just feel that it's a random application of the timing to only score TT stages that way, but not gaps on MTFs.

Except Mas didn't look better than Carthy/Carapaz, he might lose even more time. Movistar would probably go for stage wins especially for Valverde. Valverde with 2/3 other guys to help him wouldn't surprise me.

Mas was good on the climb part of the TT

There is no way Movistar dont mix it up...pride alone dictates that they try something

A race can be won on the downhill and Roglic lost alot of time putting on a jacket

No way do I think Roglic is the best climber in the race ...Carthy, Kuss and Carapaz are better climbers. Roglic is the best all rounder

So I am hoping Movistar, EF and Ineos trying something before Saturday to make this GT

Good rides by the top 3. Carapaz might be a bit more pleased than Roglic with the time gap. Roglic must have rocketed up the climb.. One again in line with the two previous grand tours this one is going down to the wire. No cycling fans can complain that the grand tours haven't kept them guessing this year all the way to the finish. Dan Martin will be disappointed but the TT was always his least convincing type of race. Barta looked nonplussed to lose by such a close margin. I expected a better ride by Mas.

There is no way Movistar dont mix it up...pride alone dictates that they try something

A race can be won on the downhill and Roglic lost alot of time putting on a jacket

No way do I think Roglic is the best climber in the race ...Carthy, Kuss and Carapaz are better climbers. Roglic is the best all rounder

So I am hoping Movistar, EF and Ineos trying something before Saturday to make this GT
Roglič is the best climber between GC contenders and we will never know about Kuss. Roglič won the MTF climbs with his sprints, he won TT climb, he lost seconds on the steepest climb only because of using 34/30 gearing (techicall problem with 34/32 before start) when all others had 34/32.

Reactions: Luthor

He was good on the climb bc on the flat he was a disaster therefore he had a lot left in the tank. Mas was 2nd TTer from top5 but end up last.
It's not just about Roglic, you also have the other 3 to beat. Kuss being a good climber is an advantage for Roglic, how is that relevant.
Mas's position is the safest in top10, no reason to do work as 4th is very distant.

TRENDING THREADS