• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España Vuelta a España 2022, stage 16: Sanlúcar de Barrameda - Tomares, 189.4k

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I didn’t think it was a Vuelta winning move by any means, but Roglic’s move was beautiful to watch…until it wasn’t. Remco would be insane to fake a crash when he only stood to lose a handful of seconds. I would bet a ton of money he didn’t fake anything. Of course it’s possible he faked the timing, which he did have incentive to do if it happened before 3km. Not even sure if that’s illegal or unethical, though. Conceivably, you could have a slow leak and not notice for some time or manage to keep up for a while. It’s an interesting case.

I think some are just reacting to the seeming unfairness of Roglic giving his all to get a handful seconds (and taking a brutal fall) while Remco took a Sunday coffee ride. But that’s the right thing for him to do.

What a load of **** in this thread. I understand people supporting roglic, but this is getting out of hand.... seriously faking mechanicals to stay in a group???

Imagine if the other party started saying: Roglic attacked because he heared through his earpiece that Remco had a flat. Make sense as well. It allows him to take free seconds the moment there is a small gap. The reason why this is not being talked... because it is a rubbish, unfair, inproper statement to do.

People wanting to dismiss the 3km rule because the red jersey had a flat inside the 3km of a stage where the rule applied... what else are we going to get? How much hate can drive a person? Instead of whining about known rules and situations, you should spend more time in finding out if Roglic is ok and how damaged he is. That is a lot more important than trying to penalize Remco for having a flat tire.

I don't think there is any way to verify when exactly the puncture happened, so it's a bit of pointless task (if that's what the jury are/were doing)
I would assume that the place where you stop is the place that counts. If you can proof you have a puncture within the last 3 km, the rule applies even if it happened just a bit earlier. You need to have clear rules here. Anyway, if you have a puncture much earlier and you decide to keep going to reach that 3 km spot you won't keep your position in the peleton for long so it's also a gamble. Others may also see you fake it.

Reactions: Sandisfan
The 3km rule doesn't apply on 9 summit finish specified in the Vuelta regulations. It does apply on 6 flat finishes.
The rest are decided by UCI commissaires as specified in the UCI regulations.

These rules are free for anybody to read before making random speculation and conspiracies lol.

Today, Roglic will try a long range attack. It's what he's all about. Remco will not attack, he will just hypnotise the other riders and ride away into the sunset. A star is born.
I don't want to blow my own trumpet but I called it. Remco hypnotised the other riders into believing he had a puncture.
(The inability to accept reality here is comedy gold. )

On a side note to the sad main drama, well before Remco attacked I was noticing how much more interesting the final 10 km was (for a sprint stage) withOUT the giant sprint team and GC teams all lined up. Cofidis was only one to have their whole squad to the front, after that it was groups or 2 or 3 riders from each team with none in control. Aside from making it more intriguing for the viewer to try and figure out who is at the front and who’s not, I think that it also makes an attack like Roglic did more achievable. Too bad for him Pederen is so strong right now right now and willing to take on the chase without looking ti see if another rider planned to help him. Heartbreaking ending :(

OK, let's get things straight.

From Remco's interview, it seems he was prepared to not try and follow a move by Roglic in the last couple of K's.
Remco's flat isn't clear to me, and it is possible he had a slow flat and thus was already out of position because of his flat.
Remco didn't panic because he knew the 3K rule would be applied. I guess that's also why they didn't frantically try to change bikes with team mates.
Roglic and Remco both get the same time as the group they were in. In Roglic' case, that's clear. In Remco's case, one could debate if he would still be in the first group. Based on his strength we could all assume he would be in the first group; who knows, without the flat, he could even have been in a better position and towed the group closer to the front riders and reduced those 8s into less.

All in all, Remco is very lucky, and Roglic is very unlucky. I would be happy if Remco wins the Vuelta, but a win is better if it is against worthy competition. Roglic seems over and out for the battle for first place, unfortunately.

OK, let's get things straight.

From Remco's interview, it seems he was prepared to not try and follow a move by Roglic in the last couple of K's.
Remco's flat isn't clear to me, and it is possible he had a slow flat and thus was already out of position because of his flat.
Remco didn't panic because he knew the 3K rule would be applied. I guess that's also why they didn't frantically try to change bikes with team mates.
Roglic and Remco both get the same time as the group they were in. In Roglic' case, that's clear. In Remco's case, one could debate if he would still be in the first group. Based on his strength we could all assume he would be in the first group; who knows, without the flat, he could even have been in a better position and towed the group closer to the front riders and reduced those 8s into less.

All in all, Remco is very lucky, and Roglic is very unlucky. I would be happy if Remco wins the Vuelta, but a win is better if it is against worthy competition. Roglic seems over and out for the battle for first place, unfortunately.
Being unable to stay on your bike in this situation is not unlucky.

Especially the Eurosport idxxts questioning without any prove on air. They just hampered their sports.
what the heck are you talking about? of course you can question things!! they explicitly said they were not making any accusations.
they literally showed video of a rear tyre that DID NOT LOOK FLAT
how do you ignore that?

of course maybe it was 25% low on air and the rider can feel it even if its not visible, but you have to bring it up

Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS