• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España 2019 stage 21: Fuenlabrada - Madrid > 105.6km

stage-21-profile.jpg

Absolutely horrible race format for the women, sadly, though - an ITT, and then a crit, so they have put a huge number of bonuses in the sprints to add intrigue, but it makes things far more confusing, plus the copious bonus seconds available every two laps is killing any hopes of any break. It is definitely a lot like track racing as a result. I really wish they'd extend the western arm of the circuit out for the women's race at least to include the short rise on the Cuesta San Vicente - it'd only be around a kilometre at 4-5% but with a hairpin at the bottom so you can't sprint into it and have to hit the gradient from scratch, it would at least offer potential for attacks to work.

I mean, I would prefer they go and use the 2005 Worlds circuit for both men and women, but appreciate they want the Paseo del Prado finish.

Absolutely horrible race format for the women, sadly, though - an ITT, and then a crit, so they have put a huge number of bonuses in the sprints to add intrigue, but it makes things far more confusing, plus the copious bonus seconds available every two laps is killing any hopes of any break. It is definitely a lot like track racing as a result. I really wish they'd extend the western arm of the circuit out for the women's race at least to include the short rise on the Cuesta San Vicente - it'd only be around a kilometre at 4-5% but with a hairpin at the bottom so you can't sprint into it and have to hit the gradient from scratch, it would at least offer potential for attacks to work.

I mean, I would prefer they go and use the 2005 Worlds circuit for both men and women, but appreciate they want the Paseo del Prado finish.

The should look at Tour of Utah this year for how to make a proper crit. Usually Americans are very good at planning them. This crit when you just go up and down the same flat road is the most lame thing ever, but yet the TDF and Vuelta don't feel like the riders and spectators deserve any better. These last day stages could be so much better.

TRENDING THREADS