• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España Vuelta a España 2022, stage 14: Montoro - Sierra de la Pandera, 160.3k

Another breakaway day. As is often the case, this finish comes the day before the harder Sierra Nevada MTF, which historically hasn't helped the GC action even when there was a closer GC battle or a Contador desperate for a final taste of glory - I would suggest managing your expectations accordingly.
5eebe

3f537

The first half of the stage is easy, then we reach the city of Jaén and with it, the foot of the mountains. The first climb is Puerto de Siete Pilillas, an endless drag that suddenly ramps up for a final kilometre averaging 9%.
puerto-de-siete-pilillas-mancha-real-jaen.png

After the descent, there's a short but steep uncategorised climb to La Guardia de Jaén. It's the first 2 kilometres of the profile below. From the start of this hill onwards, the route should be the same as the 2009 stage, save perhaps for the exact route through Jaén.
AllanadaDelSanto.gif

From here, the riders head back to Jaén, where the intermediate sprint is located partway up another uncategorised climb. The majority is identical to the profile below, only they take a different, 700 metres longer route from km 1.9 to km 4.2 to pass by the cathedral, bringing the overall stats to 9.7k at 3.7%.
mirador-los-villares-castillo-de-las-penas-de-castro-puente-jontoya.png

A short descent takes us into the village of Los Villares. From here on out, the road is mostly uphill all the way to the finish line, but the section of downhill false flat midway through means the categorisation has been broken up into the Puerto de Los Villares and Sierra de la Pandera itself. It is the same combination that has been used on every stage to La Pandera except the most recent one (in 2017). The profile below shows both climbs.
PanderaN.gif

Is it bad that I'm sort of... disappointed that we're celebrating my nephew's - and my sister's - birthday(s) tomorrow, so I'm likely gonna miss the stage?

I think you should just be happy they've invited you, so there's no reason to push your luck by trying to get them to watch the race with you :p

Right now, my nephew is mostly in (big) cars.

Are you calling him fat and unable to walk?

Is it bad that I'm sort of... disappointed that we're celebrating my nephew's - and my sister's - birthday(s) tomorrow, so I'm likely gonna miss the stage?
I'm celebrating locomotives so I guess I'm gonna have an easier time getting excused to watch the race. But still I absolutely get what you mean and how you feel. However;

You are an awful person, the worst imaginable. How can you even be allowed to walk around on earth? :smirkcat:;):joycat:

I'm celebrating locomotives so I guess I'm gonna have an easier time getting excused to watch the race. But still I absolutely get what you mean and how you feel. However;

You are an awful person, the worst imaginable. How can you even be allowed to walk around on earth? :smirkcat:;):joycat:

I think I'd rather spend a day with RhD's family than celebrating locomotives. At least I know what kind of presents you'd usually bring to a human birthday party.

I hope this will finally be the stage where Euskaltel 2.0 shines like an orange.

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan and noob
This is a continuation of stage 11 and still preparation for stage 15. Hence JV should pace the peloton in reasonable tempo until they blow up. That is on the final climb. The bunch should by then be reduced and plenty of road still left ahead. Ideally Roglič, Evenepoel and Mas to be there. Plus a couple of youngsters. Maybe a domestique or two to burn from other teams. After that some severe tempo changing to be applied. Mas will target Rogla, youngsters will target all. Rogla to bluff a bit if and when needed. Hopefully for Evenepoel to do more work chasing and closing attacks than Roglič following. It's a risk but i do feel that some preparation for stage 15 is still needed.

TRENDING THREADS