• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

    In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

    Thanks!

Wall of Denial . . .

Jun 13, 2010
263
0
0
Visit site
The scary part about this fan-girl's comment is that there are legions of fans just like her!

"It's not about the bike. LiveStrong started a different way of looking at fighting cancer: Get in there, don't be a sheep, don't just lie down," Dooley said. "If they took Lance's blood now and his body was overtaken by steroids, I would still give money to the Lance Armstrong Foundation."

Source:

http://www.statesman.com/news/local/lance-armstrong-in-race-to-preserve-reputation-846326.html

As I have said in the past, it's all about the "C" word. It will be a tough foundation to crack.
 
Jun 13, 2010
263
0
0
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
Hey, neat idea. Let's make money off people dying of cancer by selling them on a false hero!

Thus far it has worked with all of the precision of a fine Swiss watch . . . I think to the tune of about $150M in the case of LA.
 
Jan 27, 2010
921
0
0
Visit site
As I have said in the past said:
foundation [/I]to crack.

True. What bothers me about LA's intimate and deliberate financial affiliation with fighting Cancer is:

1. He's a fraud linking his doped TdF wins with Cancer awareness.
2. His association when taking money from other more respectable Cancer foundations
3. Our uncertainty of how much of the donated money, yes even the appearance funds, are getting to the grass roots of cancer research, to the foundation and most importantly the patients.
4. Whether or not he has really made people more aware of 'cancer'? Surely not! Maybe he has made people more aware of testicular cancer in young healthy men but not cancer overall. When people find out that he is a liar he will not longer be an 'inspiration' to cancer fighters/survivors and then he will only be seen as someone who made money on the suffering of human beings.

PS: Yes LA battled testicular cancer and has survived; I am very sensitive to that and happy for him as a fellow human being. I would NEVER EVER want to undermine anyones (including LA) struggle with cancer.

NW
 
Aug 4, 2010
198
0
0
Visit site
Who would of thought

Who would of ever thought that a simple cheap yellow band would turn out to make that kind of cash. So simple, yet so effective kinda like the pet rock and I have a driveway full of them.

Chuck
 

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
13,250
1
0
Visit site
sartain said:
The scary part about this fan-girl's comment is that there are legions of fans just like her!

"It's not about the bike. LiveStrong started a different way of looking at fighting cancer: Get in there, don't be a sheep, don't just lie down," Dooley said. "If they took Lance's blood now and his body was overtaken by steroids, I would still give money to the Lance Armstrong Foundation."

Source:

http://www.statesman.com/news/local/lance-armstrong-in-race-to-preserve-reputation-846326.html

As I have said in the past, it's all about the "C" word. It will be a tough foundation to crack.
So why didn't 'Dooley' tell her parents about this "different way"?
Dooley, after all, lost both her parents to cancer
 
Jun 27, 2009
373
1
0
Visit site
uspostal said:
Who would of ever thought that a simple cheap yellow band would turn out to make that kind of cash. So simple, yet so effective kinda like the pet rock and I have a driveway full of them.

Chuck

Great return on the investment, sell the concept and intellectual property, it's free and makes heaps more money than any tangible or physical entity, sort of like the colour yellow... what's the first thing cyclists think about when they see that colour.. success, glory and a champion..99% see it as associating with a winner, how ever they became a winner...
 
Jun 19, 2009
5,220
0
0
Visit site
uspostal said:
Who would of ever thought that a simple cheap yellow band would turn out to make that kind of cash. So simple, yet so effective kinda like the pet rock and I have a driveway full of them.

Chuck

I had lunch with someone who is a strong, ethical 83 year old man in his 12th week of chemo. He likes cycling and endurance sports because family members delight in it and give him confidence that they will not share his fate. He told me his doctor's yellow band was gone this week.
 
sartain said:
The scary part about this fan-girl's comment is that there are legions of fans just like her!

"It's not about the bike. LiveStrong started a different way of looking at fighting cancer: Get in there, don't be a sheep, don't just lie down," Dooley said. "If they took Lance's blood now and his body was overtaken by steroids, I would still give money to the Lance Armstrong Foundation."

Source:

http://www.statesman.com/news/local/lance-armstrong-in-race-to-preserve-reputation-846326.html

As I have said in the past, it's all about the "C" word. It will be a tough foundation to crack.

stop being an a55

if believing in LA/livestrong/yellow band w/e helps patients no matter how much are they BS themselves who are you to tell them its scary?...if it helps them,let them believe

if they want to believe in god,scientology,santa claus who are you to tell them they are wrong?

what do you expect of cancer patient,to just die but die happy knowing LA is liar/cheater? leave those ppl alone ffs, it is hilarious for you they are fooling themselves ? fine you dont have to,you can find other psychological boost...in the meantime stop telling ppl what they should or shouldnt do
 
Aug 4, 2010
198
0
0
Visit site
sartain said:
The scary part about this fan-girl's comment is that there are legions of fans just like her!

"It's not about the bike. LiveStrong started a different way of looking at fighting cancer: Get in there, don't be a sheep, don't just lie down," Dooley said. "If they took Lance's blood now and his body was overtaken by steroids, I would still give money to the Lance Armstrong Foundation."

Source:

http://www.statesman.com/news/local/lance-armstrong-in-race-to-preserve-reputation-846326.html

As I have said in the past, it's all about the "C" word. It will be a tough foundation to crack.

If you've never had cancer you cannot imagine the word, its just a disease. When the doctor says, you have cancer, your life stops you think holy sh#t I'm going to die. Then you start to think of ANY way to beat this and live, and if a yellow band gives a person the strengh to move on so be it. I'm not saying nobody on here has never had cancer, just when its you its a totally different world. You look any body to help,and if any of the LA haters on here had cancer and the LA foundation had the cure you would be on his door tomorrow looking for his help, trust me.

Chuck
 

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
3,480
0
0
Visit site
uspostal said:
If you've never had cancer you cannot imagine the word, its just a disease. When the doctor says, you have cancer, your life stops you think holy sh#t I'm going to die. Then you start to think of ANY way to beat this and live, and if a yellow band gives a person the strengh to move on so be it. I'm not saying nobody on here has never had cancer, just when its you its a totally different world. You look any body to help,and if any of the LA haters on here had cancer and the LA foundation had the cure you would be on his door tomorrow looking for his help, trust me.

Chuck

If hey had the cure, yes I would. However they don't, nor are they a foundation that does enough to attain that cure, in my eyes. But the problem with your statement is that when I would have cancer, or AIDS, or ny live threatening disease, I would be standing on the door of almost any person, or organisation who would have the cure, no matter its past
 
Jun 13, 2010
263
0
0
Visit site
saganftw said:
stop being an a55

if believing in LA/livestrong/yellow band w/e helps patients no matter how much are they BS themselves who are you to tell them its scary?...if it helps them,let them believe

if they want to believe in god,scientology,santa claus who are you to tell them they are wrong?

what do you expect of cancer patient,to just die but die happy knowing LA is liar/cheater? leave those ppl alone ffs, it is hilarious for you they are fooling themselves ? fine you dont have to,you can find other psychological boost...in the meantime stop telling ppl what they should or shouldnt do

With all due respect, I think you have missed the point of my post.
 
uspostal said:
If you've never had cancer you cannot imagine the word, its just a disease. When the doctor says, you have cancer, your life stops you think holy sh#t I'm going to die. Then you start to think of ANY way to beat this and live, and if a yellow band gives a person the strengh to move on so be it. I'm not saying nobody on here has never had cancer, just when its you its a totally different world. You look any body to help,and if any of the LA haters on here had cancer and the LA foundation had the cure you would be on his door tomorrow looking for his help, trust me.

Chuck

But I thought the LAF was about raising cancer awareness.

Cancer awareness and "fighting spirit" doesn't kill a lot of cancerous cells.
 
Aug 4, 2010
198
0
0
Visit site
Ferminal said:
But I thought the LAF was about raising cancer awareness.

Cancer awareness and "fighting spirit" doesn't kill a lot of cancerous cells.

No but the 5 clinical trials, 9 doctors and referrals, and the free/low cost services & supplies may come in handy. Cancer awareness doesn't kill cancer !!! Hmmm not sure about that ,early detection AKA wwareness results in a better survival rate, but ok awareness doesn't work. Fighting spirit means never giving up. Looking for more answers, cures, trials, educating yourself about what you have. Cancer changes a persons life 100% your never the same as before. Why did I live and he died we had the same thing. People need support after the disease.

Chuck
 
Apr 8, 2010
329
0
0
Visit site
uspostal said:
if ... had cancer and the LA foundation had the cure you would be on his door tomorrow looking for his help, trust me.
Chuck
It's been pointed out before on here, but it bears repeating:

The LAF does not fund (or give support of a similar kind) to research looking for ways of curing cancer. It does do 'cancer research', but it is research into survivorship (I think that means programs for survivors). If you are sceptical about this claim, go and look at some of the LAF annual reports on their website.
 
Apr 8, 2010
329
0
0
Visit site
uspostal said:
the 5 clinical trials, 9 doctors and referrals, and the free/low cost services & supplies may come in handy.
Chuck

LAF does not fund cinical trials or doctors. As far as I know, it doesn't fund referrals. What free/low cost services and supplies does it fund that are actually about clinically fighting cancer?
 
Square-pedaller said:
LAF does not fund clinical trials or doctors. As far as I know, it doesn't fund referrals. What free/low cost services and supplies does it fund that are actually about clinically fighting cancer?


I always chuckle at the term "fighting cancer". Its become a soundbyte of complete nothingness. It sounds good. "Where here to fight cancer", "we're representing the fight against cancer". But really how does one fight cancer? What is fighting cancer? Means nothing to me although I keep hearing from the Armstrong cronies - fighting cancer - that's what they're doing. Never heard such crap in my life.

Right you are. There are many cancer charities that provide support for cancer patients by supplying nurses, home care and treatment advice and counseling. The fundamental keys to outpatient support. And funny enough all the things Livestrong doesn't do.

I'm also fairly sure said charities providing support don't need the use of a private jet to operate.
 
Feb 14, 2010
2,202
0
0
Visit site
I posted the article link elsewhere a week or so ago, but this year Nike is giving the yellow band profits to a different cancer charity.

Edit: Tracked down my original post.

I read a few hours ago that this year Nike is giving the proceeds from the yellow bands to another cancer charity rather than Livestrong. That's kind of a big deal, if true.


Nike, money, ethics

This year, Nike has decided to donate the proceeds of yellow Livestrong wristband to the League against Cancer. Last year, earnings had benefited Livestrong, which is both the foundation "Charity", supported by Lance Armstrong and a company whose runner-businessman takes a personal profit.
For his part, whatever the recipient of the collection, Nike was the big winner of the transaction.Marie-Hélène Abbo, a marketing professor at the Ecole Supérieure de Commerce de Pau, Le Figaro says that the donor "also helps the Nike brand to be ethical. The "partnership" between a private company and a worthy cause even has a name in English: "co-branding issue.

http://www.cyclismag.com/article.php?sid=5988#ancre2
 
Aug 4, 2010
198
0
0
Visit site
Square-pedaller said:
LAF does not fund cinical trials or doctors. As far as I know, it doesn't fund referrals. What free/low cost services and supplies does it fund that are actually about clinically fighting cancer?
I don't believe I said they did ?? these are services offered for free on the site. As are 138 resources to people and a lot of then are aftercare programs.

Since our inception, we have raised $325 million dollars for the fight against cancer, and 81 percent of those funds have gone directly to support our programs and services for survivors.

2009
In 2009 we had functional expenses totaling $37,147, 929, and 81 percent of every dollar raised went directly to fund programmatic expenses (see chart below).
Do all the men that have a hard-on for LA know that for erections lasting longer than 4 hrs you should seek medical help immediately ???

Chuck
 

TRENDING THREADS