• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

We all think we could make a product

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
But it turns out, it's really difficult. I'm one of the guys who used to write the "Toto" cartoon for nyvelocity, and I've always said that if I came up with a good idea, I'd try to get it made. I'm currently trying, but it's an uphill battle.

What I've found out:
An idea isn't enough, it takes a LOT of promotion
Making certain products out of certain materials is really expensive (I'm talking about plastic in particular here)
Making things without Kickstarter is super risky (that's why I did a kickstarter campaign), you can spend a lot of money to make a product that doesn't sell

There's a reason why there are so few companies making cycling products. It's difficult.

Talk is cheap, but trying to make an idea into a product is not, and as far as I know any investors wanting to invest in your idea needs to see a working model which depending on the what it is could take a lot of money that most of us don't have. I guess you found that out the hard way, sorry about that. But if you have a lot of money to play around with and you think you have some good ideas then just keep plugging away at it. However, not sure where you live or your tax laws if you don't live in the US, but if you create a business entity and suffer losses trying to make stuff and market it a certain percentage of that is tax at least in the US. Regardless of the tax thing, like I said if you have the money to play with then I would go on and pursue trying to make something that will sell, you may fail once like you already did, you may fail again, but those failures usually mean you're that much closer to one not failing. It's like the old sales mentality, the more no's you get the sooner a yes comes by, so if you can afford it just keep plugging away at it and learn from your past mistakes.