• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Weisel and partners

In the UCI corruption thread, it was mentioned about Ochowicz, and others from the Weisel stable involved with Bmc and so many other teams and businesses. I didn't want to hijack that thread as it seems to be getting off course, so I started this one.

Weisel wanted to go to the Tour de France, so they went about a variety of things, starting one team, investing in others and the like. We know this story.

Weisel is a money maker. He wants to turn a profit, his brokerage and the like is all very big time, and incredible amounts of money are invested through him.

Weisel through a number of people took over USA Cycling, stacking the board, and essentially being able to out vote anyone on anything. Financial control essentially goes through Weisel related employees and people.

Is there some type of insiders club that dabbles in the control of pro cycling, the teams and the money? To the point of determining winners perhaps?

Can Weisel be using his array of employees, placing with other teams in a ploy to tap into those millions of dollars for investment purposes and other schemes - a la Bernie Madoff?

The original thought on USA Cycling associating with the USA Cycling development fund, was to put the financial and fund raising endeavors in the hands of experts. The results are less than stellar, seeing little growth in the sport.

I would like to hear more comment on what really gives in regards to Weisel, his employees and the far reaching tentacles that seem to be involved in so much. Are we essentially seeing a massive insider trading scheme of sorts within the cycling community? I know I am not really scratching the surface here, but with input, I think this might be something more.

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
PotentialPro said:
In the UCI corruption thread, it was mentioned about Ochowicz, and others from the Weisel stable involved with Bmc and so many other teams and businesses. I didn't want to hijack that thread as it seems to be getting off course, so I started this one.

Weisel wanted to go to the Tour de France, so they went about a variety of things, starting one team, investing in others and the like. We know this story.

Weisel is a money maker. He wants to turn a profit, his brokerage and the like is all very big time, and incredible amounts of money are invested through him.

Weisel through a number of people took over USA Cycling, stacking the board, and essentially being able to out vote anyone on anything. Financial control essentially goes through Weisel related employees and people.

Is there some type of insiders club that dabbles in the control of pro cycling, the teams and the money? To the point of determining winners perhaps?

Can Weisel be using his array of employees, placing with other teams in a ploy to tap into those millions of dollars for investment purposes and other schemes - a la Bernie Madoff?

The original thought on USA Cycling associating with the USA Cycling development fund, was to put the financial and fund raising endeavors in the hands of experts. The results are less than stellar, seeing little growth in the sport.

I would like to hear more comment on what really gives in regards to Weisel, his employees and the far reaching tentacles that seem to be involved in so much. Are we essentially seeing a massive insider trading scheme of sorts within the cycling community? I know I am not really scratching the surface here, but with input, I think this might be something more.

Clearly the winds of change are blowing. Even though the corruption has existed for decades, only doping has allowed us to begin to have a look at it. The short answer to what you bring up is "Yes". But people minds just hadn't been ready for such discussions in the past. I think we're ready now.

You're spot-on about how USAC was taken over. And the takeover was co complete, that it was pervasive into the pro side of the sport. USPRO used to be a separate organization. Now it's part of USAC. The same powers that corrupt our amateur scene now corrupt the pro side.

BotanyBay said:
Clearly the winds of change are blowing. Even though the corruption has existed for decades, only doping has allowed us to begin to have a look at it. The short answer to what you bring up is "Yes". But people minds just hadn't been ready for such discussions in the past. I think we're ready now.

You're spot-on about how USAC was taken over. And the takeover was co complete, that it was pervasive into the pro side of the sport. USPRO used to be a separate organization. Now it's part of USAC. The same powers that corrupt our amateur scene now corrupt the pro side.

Dear BotanyBay,
Thank you for your $60.00 license renewal fee for road cycling only, if you would like to do some mountain bike races as well please bend over and fork over an additional $30.00. We will take your $90.00 and not reinvest a single penny of it back into your local racing scene, nor will we ever tell you what we've done with it. Livestrong!
-Sincerely,
USA Cycling

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
BikeCentric said:
Dear BotanyBay,
Thank you for your $60.00 license renewal fee for road cycling only, if you would like to do some mountain bike races as well please bend over and fork over an additional $30.00. We will take your $90.00 and not reinvest a single penny of it back into your local racing scene, nor will we ever tell you what we've done with it. Livestrong!
-Sincerely,
USA Cycling

Anyone remember when USCF tried to sue OBRA and NORBA? Apparently they had the legal right to be the sole organizing body of bike racing in the USA. It was sick. Totally sick.

BotanyBay said:
Anyone remember when USCF tried to sue OBRA and NORBA? Apparently they had the legal right to be the sole organizing body of bike racing in the USA. It was sick. Totally sick.

I do. As I recall they tried to sue the ACA in Colorado as well. They really suck. A lot.

Its also amazing how these same people that helped to swindle and lie about the take over of USA Cycling, are hand picked by Weisel. Now we see them spring up in a variety of places. Where does this all lead to? Maybe the simple answer is back room control, and perhaps fixing of races. Maybe they are more in control of what happens than the UCI is? Perhaps everyone is puppets with a select few at the top making the riders, races and the UCI dance?

BotanyBay said:
I remember that quite well. It was like a bunch of kids who make a dirt pile in the park to play on that makes everyone in the neighborhood happy...and then the city parks and recreation officials come in with a bulldozer and cement over the thing because it doesn't fit some bureaucratic safety rule.

That may sound like an exaggeration, but you had to be there. OBRA was doing all they could to promote the sport and take it to a better direction locally. Everyone was happy. Then, whammo, they were crushed and put in their place very quickly by a bunch of bullies. And the local OBRA folks got nothing in return. You should have seen the long faces. If there's anyone out there who remembers it differently, I'd like to hear from them.

:mad:

What happened? I thought anyone or anything affiliated with Armstrong was inherently good for the sport and would only help to promote and grow it both at home and abroad? Weisel and Och are good guys with only the best interests of the sport at heart-isn't that right?

It's nice to see that even though Armstrong is under investigation he can still ride the ToC. Wonder why Ullrich and a couple of other riders weren't granted the same courtesy when Operation Puerto blew up and they were banned from the Tour. Oh yeah, something about wanting to clean up the sport or something to that effect...

I wonder if riding with all those indictments in his jersey pocket will weigh Lance down?

I sense a TV moment developing from all this-right before or right after a stage, Jeff Novitzky appears and serves Armstrong and Bruyneel with papers.

Poetic justice for both of those clowns.

TRENDING THREADS