What have you bought for yorself lately?

Mar 19, 2009
2,703
1
0
I usually don't buy much for myself, but on certain occasions, like my birthday today;), I'll splurge a little bit.

Made in Minnesota, a pair of Red Wing 405 boots.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
I usually don't buy much for myself, but on certain occasions, like my birthday today;), I'll splurge a little bit.

Made in Minnesota, a pair of Red Wing 405 boots.
I hate to tell you...redwings are now all made in China...former big redwing fan here as well...they get by and say the are "finished" here...
 
Jun 9, 2009
403
0
0
I bought a nice bottle of Chianti to share with a friend over a pizza. A good wine makes a pleasant evening out of a take-out pie.
 
Mar 19, 2009
2,703
1
0
Cash05458 said:
I hate to tell you...redwings are now all made in China...former big redwing fan here as well...they get by and say the are "finished" here...
Damn! Couldn't you have waited to tell me this after my b-day.:eek:

A fine boot none the less. My carbon frame is made in China too.
 
Jul 23, 2009
2,891
1
0
This week: 4 new books. Love to have fresh reading material at hand. Also a satellite TV PVR to replace the one that went tits up a month after warranty expiration. :( Couldn't finagle a free one, had to settle for a cut rate price. The miser in me is very disappointed.

Next week: Downhill skis. Going to take the plunge on something I haven't done since I was a kid. Any recommendations for a guy who will never compete but wants something fairly decent?

Wish I could buy something every week... life just isn't like that I guess.

@OP. Happy Bday.
 
Mar 16, 2009
19,486
0
0
next friday: Fujifilm Finepix F70EXR 10MP Super CCD Digital Camera with 10x Optical Dual Image Stabilized Zoom and 2.7 inch LCD and Compaq CQ61z laptop
 
May 9, 2009
583
0
0
Cash05458 said:
I hate to tell you...redwings are now all made in China...former big redwing fan here as well...they get by and say the are "finished" here...
Since when? They had another line that was made in china but all the redwing models that I looked at said "made in usa". I buy a new pair of the goretex lined steel toe for work every year and the last ones still said "made in usa". maybe they are just old stock sitting there, but I'd be bummed if I found out they are new production and they label them misleadingly. They cost almost $300 now and for that I'd expect to be paying US workers.



Oh, last thing I bought for myself? Used Ritchey WCS 120mm stem and a Swrve cap today at the SF Bike Expo.
 
Jul 23, 2009
1,120
0
0
Nice looking winter walking wear. The most recent purchase was a set of Continental GP 4000S tires from ProBikeKit ($75 for two tires).
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
Damn! Couldn't you have waited to tell me this after my b-day.:eek:

A fine boot none the less. My carbon frame is made in China too.
apologies...but happy birthday...I bought three pairs of redwings last year...had to call the company and find out yeah they were made in china...i kicked and screamed...but they are still great shoes I think....enjoy em...:)
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
stephens said:
Since when? They had another line that was made in china but all the redwing models that I looked at said "made in usa". I buy a new pair of the goretex lined steel toe for work every year and the last ones still said "made in usa". maybe they are just old stock sitting there, but I'd be bummed if I found out they are new production and they label them misleadingly. They cost almost $300 now and for that I'd expect to be paying US workers.



Oh, last thing I bought for myself? Used Ritchey WCS 120mm stem and a Swrve cap today at the SF Bike Expo.
I am not trying to be the rain parade here...even the ones now that say made in usa...it means they were "finished" here...i.e. laces put in or something...redwing sold out period...I think they still keep great quality control via product...but 99 percent are made in china and the one that are not are for the ad copy...
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
what ****ing sucks about REDWING is all of us union guys bought em for years...for a reason...that reason is done...period...so I dont know what to tell you...
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
this can all be googled by the way..."redwing china"...ect...people are very angry about it...and have been for awhile...via models, even when it says USA made, it is china...I called a redwing pr guy a year and a half ago...at the last small plant in MN...pretty surprising...
 
Mar 18, 2009
2,442
0
0
I bought two Icebreaker tops yesterday (great NZ merino wool clothes) and I had to buy two Gekko lights today because my girlfriend took off with all of our lights and I realized it was going to be dark half way through my ride (at 4.30pm!)
 
Jun 19, 2009
5,220
0
0
What I bought today

Mixed case of Failla Pinot Noir and Syrah from the Cazderos region. Levi likes to claim it as his territory but the vintners and bud growers got there first.
 
May 6, 2009
8,524
1
0
Susan Westemeyer said:
Our recent splurge was booking a Nile cruise the end of January.

Susan
Sounds great. Would love to go to Egypt one day and visit the pyramids and take a lot of photos of them. Back on topic though, like the Redwing shoes, I have a pair of Bontrager wheels at home, it says 'Made in the USA', but the spokes and rims were made in Taiwan, and shipped back to the States to get 'finished'. To me it sounds like a great scam they have going on.
 
Jul 7, 2009
583
0
0
Uh oh. I think I got gypped! A friend gave me a Conti GP tire and I bought a matching one for the front. I paid $54 for it REI.
 
Jul 23, 2009
1,120
0
0
knewcleardaze said:
Uh oh. I think I got gypped! A friend gave me a Conti GP tire and I bought a matching one for the front. I paid $54 for it REI.
ProBikeKit runs specials on them about every 3 to 4 months. I have been fortunate that they seem to go on sell every time I need a new set of tires :)
 
Jul 7, 2009
583
0
0
While we are on the Red Wing subject. I bought a pair to use for helping my friend with forest management (lumber jacking). I have to say, they are holding up well under heavy duty work.

My beef is with the Chinese manufactured goods, we don't pay Chinese prices. I often ask the clerk when examining a Chinese made product, "where's the Chinese price":confused:
 
Jul 26, 2009
364
0
0
lunch for my newly pregnant wife.......italian , by the ocean, so cal, i dont see me spending much on new bike toys any time soon.................:)
 
Jul 23, 2009
1,120
0
0
lagartija said:
lunch for my newly pregnant wife.......italian , by the ocean, so cal, i dont see me spending much on new bike toys any time soon.................:)
Lots of places for the money and time over the next few years - but well worth it >>> Congratulations :)
 
Jul 23, 2009
1,120
0
0
knewcleardaze said:
While we are on the Red Wing subject. I bought a pair to use for helping my friend with forest management (lumber jacking). I have to say, they are holding up well under heavy duty work.

My beef is with the Chinese manufactured goods, we don't pay Chinese prices. I often ask the clerk when examining a Chinese made product, "where's the Chinese price":confused:
I suspect the Feds got your discounted "Chinese pricing" back in the form of bail out loans ;)
 
Jun 4, 2009
64
0
0
A 1/4 share in a pacer [harness racing horse]. It's a 1 year old colt. Will [hopefully] be racing this time next year. Win lots of races and then stand it at stud.
I wont say how much a 1/4 share was but needless to say I could have brought a very nice De Rosa or suchlike.

It has excellent breeding and with a little luck I'll be able to get a new bike every year from it's winnings!!!:D
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS