• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What legal substances do you use for racing?

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
I thought this would be the best place for this question even though it's about OTC products.

What supplements do you use for training and racing and what benefits do you get from them?

Caffeine pills while racing? Other sorts of fitness stimulants? Protein powder to keep muscle mass on? Creatine? Anything else useful?

For cost reasons mainly the only thing I use is protein powder twice a day, I find my weight goes too low with all the training miles I do otherwise and ultimately I end up sick if I drop too much weight.

Can a mod move this to the clinic, I posted in wrong forum.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
protein powder....I have the same problem keeping mass. However, since I started working full time and relinquished the elite license, the dietary freedoms, normal lifestyle and alcohol intake are assisting with keeping the bulk on.

I also feel that a protein shake helps with recovery.

I have experimented with caffeine prior to races, but I tend to be nervous anyway, and the caffeine just makes me jittery.

As an asthmatic with a TUE I do tend to go generously on the ventolin before a crit or RR, esp in the evenings, when my allergies are a killer.

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
When Sid Patterson was setting his 24 hour track records, he would have one can of beer per hour and nothing else.

Anyone who tries to enhance their performance by taking legal drugs is an idiot. How can any witchdoctor potion, amino acid protein mega x factor y chromosone compound bonded to xray receptors replace a few more reps in the gym, a few more ks on the road or a bit of determination?

No pill or potion will replace hard work. If you think anything legal will help you improve your performance, youre an idiot. You dont deserve to be on a bike.

As for Protein powder its nothing more than dried egg. See a dietician, cost you less than powders and correct the problem, dont mask one.

Asthma is natures way of weeding out the weak, if you have it, you should stay at home. You lot would have been bred out if it wasnt for Ventolin. BTW, get a dose of Hookworm, that cures Asthma.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
mickkk said:
When Sid Patterson was setting his 24 hour track records, he would have one can of beer per hour and nothing else.

Anyone who tries to enhance their performance by taking legal drugs is an idiot. How can any witchdoctor potion, amino acid protein mega x factor y chromosone compound bonded to xray receptors replace a few more reps in the gym, a few more ks on the road or a bit of determination?

No pill or potion will replace hard work. If you think anything legal will help you improve your performance, youre an idiot. You dont deserve to be on a bike.

As for Protein powder its nothing more than dried egg. See a dietician, cost you less than powders and correct the problem, dont mask one.

Asthma is natures way of weeding out the weak, if you have it, you should stay at home. You lot would have been bred out if it wasnt for Ventolin. BTW, get a dose of Hookworm, that cures Asthma.

Probably around 25% of elite cyclists have asthma....and contrary to what idiots think, mostly this isn't to get a TUE for the medication.

Many people have mild asthma, but don't know they have it, as they rarely (if at all) notice symptoms. Elite bike racing will ensure you know about it. Half my old team had it, and noone was any less of a rider.

and additionally I take protein shakes because I'm a vegetarian, and can't be bothered to spend hours eating cheese and eggs.

mickkk said:

you're so right with this. don't consume anything during an endurance event, just bonk and see how far your determination gets you while you watch everyone pass you... :rolleyes:
I'm not advocating the likes of No-Xplode and junk like that, but good bars, gels and energy drinks certainly do assist with endurance events...

mickkk said:
As for Protein powder its nothing more than dried egg.

hahaha!! ignorance is bliss, eh? considering that whey protien is from cheese production...
Which type of egg does soy protein come from O Wise Knowledgable One of Nutrition? Do tell...

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
M Sport said:
I thought this would be the best place for this question even though it's about OTC products.

What supplements do you use for training and racing and what benefits do you get from them?

Caffeine pills while racing? Other sorts of fitness stimulants? Protein powder to keep muscle mass on? Creatine? Anything else useful?

For cost reasons mainly the only thing I use is protein powder twice a day, I find my weight goes too low with all the training miles I do otherwise and ultimately I end up sick if I drop too much weight.

Can a mod move this to the clinic, I posted in wrong forum.

You reffering to the drug/caffeine pill scandal with Ben Cousins?

Anyway I use saddle cream with corticosteroids in it. What!? it isn't illegal!

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
mickkk said:

you are a blithering idiot that post involves both ignorance and pure stupidity all rolled into one. i bet your pretty slow to you internet bad ***.

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
Ten Percent Grade said:
Beta-Alinine, Cordyceps, Protein Powder, Rum and Coke.

Just kidding 'bout that last one.

yeah i use those as well and some other stuff it really does help particularly with sprinting(pure power output) and also day to day recovery from hard efforts.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Ten Percent Grade said:
Beta-Alinine, Cordyceps, Protein Powder, Rum and Coke.

Just kidding 'bout that last one.

I have often heard it said that old time sprinters would have a water bottle with an inch of brandy handed to them for the last kilometre.

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
riobonito92 said:
I have often heard it said that old time sprinters would have a water bottle with an inch of brandy handed to them for the last kilometre.

Those were the good old days. You reminded me of this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_doping_cases_in_cycling

"In 1886 an English cyclist is popularly reputed to have died after drinking a blend of cocaine, caffeine and strychnine, supposedly in the Bordeaux-Paris race."

Gee, ya think?

I will be trying some Optygen for the first time leading into Mt. Washington this Saturday. I'll let you know how that works out for me.

Sep 19, 2009
Visit site
I rely on whatever substances the mold in my water bottles chooses to release. Usually based on the day's conditions and the pH of the water.

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
Like some of the other posters I use protein powder, mainly to keep my muscle mass stable.

After reading all fuss about AFL players here in Australia using caffeine pills I think I'm going to give them a go in my next race, I saw an article on tv Wednesday night were they showed one player taking a dose of three No Doz tablets, that's 300 mg of caffeine!

A mate of mine that used to race A grade here a few years ago was right into them as well, I had sort of forgotten about them until this week.

TRENDING THREADS