• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What Should be Nibali's Tactics in the giro 2013?

What Should be Nibali's Tactics in the giro 2013?

• Just listen to vino.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
The poll is merely to give suggestions at which you can debate about and you know polls are kinda cool :eek:

Anyway Nibali is clearly the key to this giro, maybe he won't win but he'll make it exciting.

What do you think Nibali should do to win this giro?

Edit: I forgot to really include the use of teammates, but this thread is more about what Nibali himself will do. Then again his teammates are obviously important. Look at fuente de.

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Send a couple of teammates away on the stage where there is a descent where he can gain the most time(Giau?) and then ride like a maniac on the descent and bridge to them before the start of the final climb and hopefully gain like two minutes. Then try to pick up a few secounds here and there over the other stages.

- attack on the final descent of stage 3. 30'' gained (10'' + 20'' bonus)
- Stage 7. All sort of things can happen here. Other 30''.
- Lose less than 3 minutes in the ITT
- Attack on stage 9. Maybe 20''
- Attack 5 kms from the top of Montasio. Hopefully 20''-30'' there
- Defend on the Vajont - Let the breakaway go
- Lord knows if he can gain time on Jafferau. If he can, not more than 20''
- 30'' on Galibier
- Attack on the way to Ivrea and win the stage. Other 30''
- lose less than 30'' on the MTT
- Put teammates on the breakaway on Gavia and then attack on the Stelvio descent. (either epic win or epic fail)
- Unleash hell on the Giau. 1'.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Eshnar said:
- 30'' on Galibier
- Put teammates on the breakaway on Gavia and then attack on the Stelvio descent. (either epic win or epic fail)

I hope you got his mail account ;) (too much to send on twitter, right?)

Btw epic fail sounds that nibali failed real hard actually lol I'm assuming you mean fail like a champ. Like Contador at stage 19 of the tour 2011.

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Eshnar said:
-

Okay, this was the main idea I had and I've been hoping to see such an attack for a while from him. How much time do you think is possible to get from attacking on the Stelvio descent?

He stands no chance! Nibali has no abilities above Wiggin's skills where the weak points of Wiggins are. In fact Nibali also misses explosiveness and could get in problems in the high mouintains.

Unless Wiggins isn't in top-shape or he get's some special help from Vino to improve. But in that matter we are in the wrong section and should move this to the clinic.

Obviously he needs stage win time bonuses.
He needs to take advantage of descents to get them or to use as a way to facilitate long range attacks.

But most importantly, he is going to have to figure out a way to work against Team Sky's race management tactics. Wiggins has to be isolated on mtn stages early.

He would be smart to form an alliance with Ryder. I don't think either team is strong enough by themselves, but together they could break Team Sky. If they both send riders up the road to work together and then try to join them, sky won't be able to control it.

If the other teams let Team Sky do their thing, this is going to be the ultimate Race De Boredom. Wiggins will take out several minutes on stage 8 and never be caught.

Eshnar said:
- 30'' on Galibier
If this is what we can expect, this Giro will be EPIC - no doubt. I want carnage on Stage 7 too. Wouldn't be too bad if it rained either :)