• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Which team will look the strongest on the climbs in the Tour?

Which team will look the strongest on the climbs in the Tour? Post a Poll

• With varied success, with no particular dominant

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Porte, Boasson Hagen, Eisel, Kiryienka, Knees, thats some pretty impressive firepower that Sky have got. Any one of those guys could toughen it up at the front, and shed the wannabes on the climbs.
For me Sky will dominate.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Most likely Sky with the way they ride train up the mountains, and supporting Froome they will end up being stronger because he can ride away at the end or do battle with the other top climbers.

Movistar 2nd, since they'll have Valverde and Quintana who can climb with the best. And are some of the best. Plus their team will no doubt end up having a number of other strong climbers.

And if Voeckler gets yellow, the combination of him and Rolland will be very strong in the final. And the team should be able to do a good job climbing in first parts of the mountains and climbing in the breaks.

What do you mean by dominating the climbs?

If setting up a train in the climbs without letting anyone harmful for the GC leave the peloton, that'll be Sky.

If taking most points in mountain sprints and having most guys involved on that, i think it'll be Europcar.

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Afrank said:
Most likely Sky with the way they ride train up the mountains, and supporting Froome they will end up being stronger because he can ride away at the end or do battle with the other top climbers.

Movistar 2nd, since they'll have Valverde and Quintana who can climb with the best. And are some of the best. Plus their team will no doubt end up having a number of other strong climbers.

And if Voeckler gets yellow, the combination of him and Rolland will be very strong in the final. And the team should be able to do a good job climbing in first parts of the mountains and climbing in the breaks.

BIIIIGGGG fan of both Voeckler and Roland, but Roland prepration has been terrible, i am sorry to say he will bomb and how.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I mean team contribution into leader perfomance surely. If Froome wins and say Valverde becomes 3rd, Quintana 5th, Sky will anyway be considered to perform better.

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
airstream said:
I mean team contribution into leader perfomance surely. If Froome wins and say Valverde becomes 3rd, Quintana 5th, Sky will anyway be considered to perform better.

If that is what you meant, you should have made a "who will win the Tour" poll instead.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Dutchsmurf said:
If that is what you meant, you should have made a "who will win the Tour" poll instead.

No, if you really think that Movistar will drop the best riders by means of their train, Valverde and Quintana will be the best climbers while Froome will win the Tour only because of TT's, you are free to vote for Movi. It's quite reasonable approach

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
jaylew said:
Movi: Nairo, Valverde, Costa, Szymd
Sky: Porte, Froome, Kiri, Lopez
Saxo: Contador, Rogers, Roche, Kreuz, Hernandez

I'll go:

Saxo
Movi
Sky

Though it will probably wind up being Sky somehow...

Movistar could be very strong indeed. Szmyd was a beast at the Giro last year.

jaylew said:
Movi: Nairo, Valverde, Costa, Szymd
Sky: Porte, Froome, Kiri, Lopez
Saxo: Contador, Rogers, Roche, Kreuz, Hernandez

I'll go:

Saxo
Movi
Sky

Though it will probably wind up being Sky somehow...

Movistar also have Amador and on the basis of the Dauphine, Thomas and Kennaugh will be pretty good for Sky. Sky probably have the best depth, pretty much all of their riders can climb at least reasonably well with the exception of Stannard, but Movistar and Saxo on paper have the better quality climbers.

Warmin up for the boom-boom.

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
Hugo Koblet said:
Sky and it's not even close. Saxo will be a joke, Movistar's got potential. Garmin? Not even close.

I disagree about saxo. They have an extremely strong squad of individuals. However I begrudgingly voted sky as they are just such a strong team when their individual riders are brought together.

Dont think it will be one team dominating the climbs. Most of the top teams will have 2-3 guys who can climb well...

Sky - Froome, Porte
Garmin - Hesjadel, Martin, Talansky
Movistar - Valverde, Quintana, Costa
Europcar - Rolland, Voeckler
Saxo-Tinkoff - Contador, Kreuziger, Rogers
etc...

I think Garmin is underrated by some and should be included in the poll. They have 4, if not 5 riders capable of top10 result in GC, and while they don't seem to have such a strong leader as Sky, or Saxo, I can definetely see them ending up with the most riders in top20/top30 or winning team-classification or having the most riders in the group after some selection on the climb.

TRENDING THREADS