• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Which teams have doping programs?

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
Many teams contend to have anti-doping programs. Is this to prevent team positives? Is it just isolated riders with naive programs who get caught? How will we catch the brothers Grim?

Well IMHO I have three now and one for the future:

1- Liquigas
2- Saxo Bank
3- Astana
4- Future Team: Radio Shack

I am not sure if all members are included anymore, but at least the top guys are included. I am wondering who's the doctor for Liquigas?

Escarabajo said:
I was going to create a thread about which teams has the best programs. Well You are ahead of me. Well IMHO I have three:

1- Liquigas
2- Saxo Bank
3- Astana

I am not sure is all members are included anymore, but at least the top guys are included. I am wondering who's the doctor for Liquigas?

What, no Garmin :D

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
The CN article on the UCI and selection of PT teams (http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/protour-2010-decision-on-radioshack-and-sky-close) states that:

"The licence commission looks at the quality of results the team has achieved in 2009, the riders on its team and, in the case of new teams, the quality of riders it has hired. The commission is also looking at what measures the team will take to ensure that there is no doping by its riders."

From this, I assumed that every PT team has to have some form of antidoping program in place. At the very least, each PT team contributes financially to the development and maintenance of the Biological Passport.

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
The brothers Grim

Saxobank formerly CSC certainly have an active anti-doping policy which in Kohl's words may be most useful to tune one's doping program. Any team run by Mr 60% has to be suspect.

Bruyneel seems to be the master craftsman in the production of tour winners in an era when the majority of their competitors doped and lost.

Rabobank seem to have been emitting smoke without fire for years. Denis didn't do so well when the blood clinic was shut in Austria, and he is a proven grand tour winner despite his lack of bike handling skills!

The French have bemoaned about a two speed peloton, but there are probably 4 or 5 speeds...

Organized programs vs talent vs isolated riders willing to try anything vs country specific doping.

It seems strange that haematocrits vary so much within caucasian populations even at or near sea level.

A

Anonymous

Well, turn it around and ask, "which teams don't have a doping programme?"

An easier question to answer perhaps.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Scott SoCal said:

I am probably a minority, but I really doubt many teams run an organized doping program, a la Festina, Telekom, US Postal, KELME, ONCE.

I think it's rogue riders who pass on expertise to those they trust and provide them with (access to) products. Kohl never mentioned it was a programmatic endeavour, but solely an effort from individual riders who happened to be on the same team.

On the other hand, given Sinkewitz's depositions, I would seriously doubt Lefevre has changed his habits, and which leads me to believe that amongst others, QST comes closest to organised doping, in the sense that Lefevre and his appointed docters facilitate the use of it.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
To whom it may concern

I am in construction am 55 male and I like to ride my bike fast. I am also married with family.
My wife thinks Daniello Di Luca is manly. Not wimp like like Levi or Cadel.
My quandry is where can I find Daniello Di Luca or Davide Rebellions Service MDs and pharmiscists.
Because I need to be manly and quick at work. I also do not want any of the sludge running through my veins extra body hair nor do I want to grow breasts.

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
Bala Verde said:
I am probably a minority, but I really doubt many teams run an organized doping program, a la Festina, Telekom, US Postal, KELME, ONCE.

I think it's rogue riders who pass on expertise to those they trust and provide them with (access to) products. Kohl never mentioned it was a programmatic endeavour, but solely an effort from individual riders who happened to be on the same team.

On the other hand, given Sinkewitz's depositions, I would seriously doubt Lefevre has changed his habits, and which leads me to believe that amongst others, QST comes closest to organised doping, in the sense that Lefevre and his appointed docters facilitate the use of it.

I agree. I don't think it's a systemic thing in most cases. Mostly it's what the team owners DONT do that allows the doping.

Kohl is the best indication we have I think as he is one of the olny riders who has been honest and abondoned the code of silence after getting caught.

flicker said:
I am in construction am 55 male and I like to ride my bike fast. I am also married with family.
My quandry is where can I find Daniello Di Luca or Davide Rebellions Service MDs and pharmiscists.
Because I need to be manly and quick at work. I also do not want any of the sludge running through my veins extra body hair nor do I want to grow breasts.

http://www.aaghealth.com/index.cfm/...cement=&gclid=CJjQ4PTm_JwCFSFRagodkFiFaw:eek:

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
flicker said:

edited by mod

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
What is the man worshipping?

No I do not want to know. I think I will stick to my own diet forget the hormones and dope just eat healthy. Some of those pro cyclists are freaky looking. like the triplets of bellvue.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
mitochondrion said:
Many teams contend to have anti-doping programs. Is this to prevent team positives? Is it just isolated riders with naive programs who get caught? How will we catch the brothers Grim?

Legitimacy theory. Simple run down is that once gaining a position of authority you command enough autonomy to pursuade the public that your actions are authentic. They don't have to be, but that's not the point. The point is about spin and public relations. Perception is vital, creating the idea that your actions are not only legitimate, but hold an intrinsic moral authority that the public believe in your splendour and integrity. Whether you do what you claim to do is a whole different matter.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
mitochondrion said:

Forgot to mention the answer to your second and third question.

No isolated riders don't get caught. Vino at Astana for example. Kasheickin went down too. Few would doubt they weren't working together, but note nobody else in the team came up. Not even the frequent visitor to Freiburg University, Andreas Kloden. Yes they were naive, but more for opportunisitc reasons. I believe they were desperate, trying to salvage some Kazakh pride. Sacha Baron Cohen certainly helped more with that. Or Liberty Seguros today/yesterday with there 3 positives for CERA. That one is probably based on financial limitations. CERA will get you caught.

To answer your third question. I have an answer. Financial regulations! Restrict teams like public companies are restricted. Regulate the *******s and audit them. Go through their financial data with a fine tooth comb. Audit the internal testing. The methods, screening and riders. You'll catch them. Don't let the UCI control the audits. Independent body that answers to WADA. Someone like **** Pound who knows that people lie.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Scott SoCal said:

Many of you seem to take for fact the idea that several current ProTour teams have systematic doping programs. Unless you can come up with any hard evidence, it's all just pure speculation and shows a serious disrespect for the clean riders out there. And yes, there are clean riders out there. If you don't think so, why follow pro cycling at all?

May 18, 2009
Visit site
flicker said:
No I do not want to know. I think I will stick to my own diet forget the hormones and dope just eat healthy. Some of those pro cyclists are freaky looking. like the triplets of bellvue.

Please be follow thru with your wants.

I was googling my a$$ off trying to find something that would help you ride your bike fast, be quick and manly at work, cause no breast growth or extra body hair. BTW I think the addition of breasts may help you succeed in your job. It has helped me.

I think EPO is the answer but if you can afford it LA probably has a program that will help. Now you back off your request....Please reconsider.

I take it the Gert Jan-Theunise look is out of the question?

Bala Verde said:

I would hope that QST haven't got a program, seeing as my favourite rider is there, but it does seem somewhat likely - as you said :(

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Millar - "We found our mojo"

Mojo now the sobriquet for AICAR?

"It is an odd thing in sport," a relaxed Millar said, when asked about the team's turnaround. "Sometimes it is just a question of mojo. When Tyler (who? Tyler Tuboat Hamilton? That was years ago Davey Boy, how, you meant Farrar, ok, woopsy) won, I think we had four or five wins in the space of the week. That is very unlike us... so, yes, I think it has changed some certain things.

"I think Ryder’s victory was enormous. That was great to see and he is becoming a great rider. The team is changing, (yeah, no $hit) we are growing. We are only two years old…in fact, we are not even two years at this level. So it is normal (agree, peloton default status) that we are taking steps and getting bigger and bigger."

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
It is certainly hard to accept that Saxo Bank and any team associated with Pharmstrong and The Hog do not have organized programs in place. Beyond that, I imagine that individual riders are probably more responsible for passing on contacts and other intelligence.

Bala Verde said:

Well it depends on what you mean by "team organized doping". There are more options that just rogue riders. For example, one could (and some have) make an argument that Astana's A-Team is doped to the gills, in a way similar to Discovery-Postal was (or allegedly was , if you will). So perhaps it is part of a team. I agree with what one other poster said about it is what the teams choose not to observe.

Remember that guy from Phonak (he now runs BMC) - he was "shocked" about Tyler, that Spanish team mate - Santi something (please - no flames about being racist, I am tired and I cannot remember his name), and The Floydis. Gerosteiner's chief had a similar "shocked" reaction.