• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Which wheels

Oct 2, 2009
Visit site
This has probably been done before!!
I am setting up a new bike, Dean Ultralite sloping frame, campag super record & I need a set of wheels. I have had great service for the last 9 yrs from a pair of campag neutrons. They are about 1450g, not super light but like I said they appear to be bombproof, i.e. I have no qualms about jumping kerbs, riding off kerbs etc & they are still as straight as the day I bought them.
Is there a wheel as tough but just a bit lighter??? I am leaning towards the campag shamal what does anyone think or know about them.

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
Dermie said:
This has probably been done before!!
I am setting up a new bike, Dean Ultralite sloping frame, campag super record & I need a set of wheels. I have had great service for the last 9 yrs from a pair of campag neutrons. They are about 1450g, not super light but like I said they appear to be bombproof, i.e. I have no qualms about jumping kerbs, riding off kerbs etc & they are still as straight as the day I bought them.
Is there a wheel as tough but just a bit lighter??? I am leaning towards the campag shamal what does anyone think or know about them.

What's your budget? Most Campagnolo Shamals are around 1400g so you won't get a ton of weight reduction :-s

Oct 2, 2009
Visit site
Well I don't want to go into the 2-3 thous of dollars, So I am thinking I would only go up to $1500 if I could get a deal lighter than the campag options of Shamal & or Nuetrons.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I have a pair, my neighbour has a pair, my friend has a pair and my wife has a pair. Most are 2007s with the gold spokes and rims. They are super wheels. fast and responsive. stiff enough, roll better than Mavic wheels with ceramic bearings, I roll down hills as fast as the deep section wheel guys.
If I were to buy them today I would get the 2 way fit and maybe the CULT but the standard steel bearings are fabulous and the wheel bearing preload can be adjusted in the fork so you can get the lowest preload to avoid knocking and gold
I also like the G3 spoking but if you don't the Fulcrum 0s are essentially the same
IMHO these are about the best all round aluminum rim wheels out there.