• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who will win the Dauphiné?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

To win outright:

• Other (JCP, Keldermerckx, Julian Alaphilippe...)

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Talansky

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • The Great Bauke Mollema

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • Rui Costa

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • Teeejaaay van Garderen

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • Chris Froome

Votes: 66 51.2%
  • Purito Rodríguez

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • Vincenzo Nibali

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • Alejandro Valverde

Votes: 31 24.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
May 27, 2015
Visit site
I watched profiles of all 8 stages on Criterium du Dauphine website and I'm even more sure that Valverde can win it now. Besides stage 7 I didn't see any stage where Froom could potentially beat Valverde.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Re:

Velolover2 said:
I still think that most of these guys are stupid for riding Dauphiné instead of Suisse.

Both Costa, Purito, Pinot and perhaps Rolland would have had a chance of winning the race or multiple stages. They don't really stand a chance against Froome for overall and Valverde for stages.

Valverde was fantastic in the spring. But in the mountain stages, if Purito is on form, he can beat Valverde. Cycling is not mathematics. It's all about the form of that particular day.

Re: Re:

Arredondo said:
Velolover2 said:
I still think that most of these guys are stupid for riding Dauphiné instead of Suisse.

Both Costa, Purito, Pinot and perhaps Rolland would have had a chance of winning the race or multiple stages. They don't really stand a chance against Froome for overall and Valverde for stages.

Valverde was fantastic in the spring. But in the mountain stages, if Purito is on form, he can beat Valverde. Cycling is not mathematics. It's all about the form of that particular day.

But why not riding Suisse instead? I'd do the same trick as in Pais Vasco. Just with skipping Dauphine instead of Catalunya. He is up against Froome, Valverde and Alaphilippe (who is much harder to drop than Kwiatkowski).

His chance of winning a stage is much slimmer in this race than Suisse. In Suisse, I could see him winning 3 stages + the overall. Here, I can't see him winning anything.

I actually think Bauke will podium, maybe win it :eek:

I mean, at Tirreno he surprised a lot of people, including me, when he somehow took 2nd. He's quite good in one week races and is often in form at this time of year (2nd and 3rd in Suisse last two years) so maybe. You never know, it'll be quite funny if he does though

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site

Velolover2 said:
Arredondo said:
Velolover2 said:

But why not riding Suisse instead? I'd do the same trick as in Pais Vasco. Just with skipping Dauphine instead of Catalunya. He is up against Froome, Valverde and Alaphilippe (who is much harder to drop than Kwiatkowski).

His chance of winning a stage is much slimmer in this race than Suisse. In Suisse, I could see him winning 3 stages + the overall. Here, I can't see him winning anything.

First i think is form is not good enough to win Dauphine or Suisse. In the last years, when he focused on the Tour, his form was not well enough to fight for the podium.

Second there is a (quite) flat TT of 38 kilometer on the last day in Suisse. So he will lose a lot of time there. Apart from that, there is only one real mountain stage, and all the other stages do not have proper climbs (or steep muro's) at the end. And Quintana rides in Suisse, so based on your asumption he also doesn't have a chance against him.

In the Dauphiné, there are 4 mountain stages and no individual TT. So the chance he wins Dauphine is still bigger then winning Suisse.

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Arredondo said:
I see there is no TT. Forgot about that.

Purito to show Valverde is just a average rider ;)

Exactly what I'm hoping for too. He may hide his form a bit ahead of the tour like he did in 2013 and go for 1-2 stages. I can see him winning this if he really goes for it and doesn't lose too much in the TTT, I hope he chooses this option.

Arredondo said:
Velolover2 said:
Arredondo said:
Velolover2 said:

First i think is form is not good enough to win Dauphine or Suisse. In the last years, when he focused on the Tour, his form was not well enough to fight for the podium.

Second there is a (quite) flat TT of 38 kilometer on the last day in Suisse. So he will lose a lot of time there. Apart from that, there is only one real mountain stage, and all the other stages do not have proper climbs (or steep muro's) at the end. And Quintana rides in Suisse, so based on your asumption he also doesn't have a chance against him.

In the Dauphiné, there are 4 mountain stages and no individual TT. So the chance he wins Dauphine is still bigger then winning Suisse.

No he doesn't: http://www.tio.ch/News/Sport/Altri-Sport/1029453/Niente-Tour-de-Suisse-per-Nairo-Quintana/

He will ride Route du Sud instead.

And it's not true that there isn't any steep climbs. Look at stage 1. It's perfect for him. Drop Kwai on the last cat. 1 climb and you have a stage win from a reduced sprint. Stage 2 could be good as well if they can drop some of the pure puncheurs like Albasini.

Same for Costa, Mollema and these types with a fast finish. And there is still no profile with gradients of the TT. I think it's quite up and down. Some sections with 10-11%.

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Velolover2 said:
I'd still lose to see that TT in Suisse with gradients. I think it's harder than some of you guys think.

I've looked around for a few profiles but couldn't find any detailed ones. I think you're right about the TT, it is quite hard. With the poor field in Suisse he could win that too.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site

Squirbos_19 said:
Arredondo said:

Exactly what I'm hoping for too. He may hide his form a bit ahead of the tour like he did in 2013 and go for 1-2 stages. I can see him winning this if he really goes for it and doesn't lose too much in the TTT, I hope he chooses this option.

Me too. My dream is that he arrives in 100% shape to this race. Then he will win it. Then he will likely have a good first week in the Tour, before falter a little bit in the third week and finish 4th-6th place.

But i rather win Dauphine + 4th place Tour then 3rd place in the Tour alone. He already has got a podium in the Tour. Winning Dauphine would be great for his palmares.

Arredondo said:
Squirbos_19 said:
Arredondo said:

Me too. My dream is that he arrives in 100% shape to this race. Then he will win it. Then he will likely have a good first week in the Tour, before falter a little bit in the third week and finish 4th-6th place.

But i rather win Dauphine + 4th place Tour then 3rd place in the Tour alone. He already has got a podium in the Tour. Winning Dauphine would be great for his palmares.

Don't forget that he also has Vuelta in mind...He will not be at his best here.He will follow the same patern like in 2013.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site

Velolover2 said:
Arredondo said:
Velolover2 said:
Arredondo said:
Velolover2 said:

No he doesn't: http://www.tio.ch/News/Sport/Altri-Sport/1029453/Niente-Tour-de-Suisse-per-Nairo-Quintana/

He will ride Route du Sud instead.

And it's not true that there isn't any steep climbs. Look at stage 1. It's perfect for him. Drop Kwai on the last cat. 1 climb and you have a stage win from a reduced sprint. Stage 2 could be good as well if they can drop some of the pure puncheurs like Albasini.

Same for Costa, Mollema and these types with a fast finish. And there is still no profile with gradients of the TT. I think it's quite up and down. Some sections with 10-11%.

I don't have any profiles of those climbs You do?

I agree that in Suisse the competition is less. But only the stage to Rettenbachferner is really suited to Purito imo.

And a TT of 38 km is still a TT of 38 km ;)

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site

pink_jersey said:
Arredondo said:
Squirbos_19 said:
Arredondo said:

Don't forget that he also has Vuelta in mind...He will not be at his best here.He will follow the same patern like in 2013.

Yeah, exactly. I'm also thinking he will lose a lot of time in the first 1 or 2 mountain stages, and be a lot better in the last 2. Just like 2013 indeed.

But hey, a man can dream right? :)

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
This good be Epic. Nibs wont show up but Froome will have to show something and Valverde has been the man on form this season.
If Valverde puts Froome to the sword on any mountain stage then Froomes tour chances are done IMO.

Re:

ray j willings said:
This good be Epic. Nibs wont show up but Froome will have to show something and Valverde has been the man on form this season.
If Valverde puts Froome to the sword on any mountain stage then Froomes tour chances are done IMO.

naah, Froome will show some good form - to the UCI - then come good at around stage 3 and go on to win...

pink_jersey said:
Arredondo said:
Squirbos_19 said:
Arredondo said:

I was under the impression that Rodriguez was in absolute top shape under the 2013 Tour, as that was his main goal of the season.

TRENDING THREADS