• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who would win in an intense bike race, a well-trained and well-disciplined Navy SEAL

Stteven

BANNED
Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
If it were those two groups competing in a road bicycle race a 200+miles long, technical race, who would win? Keep in mind special forces training (hell week as a major example) including strength and stamina abilities achieved during this training. Now look a cyclists, who also train to a very great extent for races and such, have more knowledge of cycling then the SEALS, but might not have the stamina and willpower of the SEALS. Who do you think would win?

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
The cyclist would do really well until the SEAL shot him.

you got there before me! :(

The cyclist would absolutely slaughter the SEAL in a normal bike race. Change it to riding across a desert for 3 weeks and you might see a win by the SEAL. Bonus points to the SEAL if its in enemy territory.

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
SHelvenston1992SEALs.jpg

yeah

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
800px-US_Navy_061020-N-4856G-018_Special_Operations_Chief_%28SEAL%29_Mitch_Hall_assigned_to_Naval_Special_Warfare_Center_road_tests_the_Navy_SEAL_racing_bike_in_Kona%2C_Hawaii_one_day_prior_to_the_Ironman_Triathlon.jpg

Special Operations Chief (SEAL) Mitch Hall assigned to Naval Special Warfare Center road tests the Navy SEAL racing bike in Kona, Hawaii one day prior to the Ironman Triathlon

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
ingsve said:
Take the best well-trained person or athlete in the world that isn't a bike rider and they would not manage to even stay in a peloton for very long when it gets going at a decent speed.

Yes, a triathlete would ride beside the peloton before loosing control and crashing.

I recon that with little training, possibly in the off season many cyclists would butcher a navy seal at a fell run.. There is a reason their paid to race bikes.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
You haven't seen Thor's bike handling. He's worse than Soler, seriously.

[edit] The hammer's a regulatory grey area too.

[edit] **** it's Ares now, isn't it?

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
We could have a 200k race between top pro riders against Navy Seals then have a rematch in a warzone where you get to jog at 8 minute mile pace for training, camp outside and shoot people on a random basis.

probably be 1-1 in the end.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
sublimit said:
We could have a 200k race between top pro riders against Navy Seals then a rematch in a warzone where you get to jog at 8 minute mile pace for training, camp outside and shoot people on a random basis.

probably be 1-1 in the end.

In combat, I'd be backing Vino.

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
Buffalo Soldier said:
800px-US_Navy_061020-N-4856G-018_Special_Operations_Chief_%28SEAL%29_Mitch_Hall_assigned_to_Naval_Special_Warfare_Center_road_tests_the_Navy_SEAL_racing_bike_in_Kona%2C_Hawaii_one_day_prior_to_the_Ironman_Triathlon.jpg

Special Operations Chief (SEAL) Mitch Hall assigned to Naval Special Warfare Center road tests the Navy SEAL racing bike in Kona, Hawaii one day prior to the Ironman Triathlon

he races cat3 on the road in socal raced with him many times we actually place in similar spots in road races with lots of climbing always consistent and strong.

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
Fester said:
Yes, a triathlete would ride beside the peloton before loosing control and crashing.

I recon that with little training, possibly in the off season many cyclists would butcher a navy seal at a fell run.. There is a reason their paid to race bikes.

that guy in the pick races road bikes all year lots of events i did not know he did tri's also. he is cat-3 on road bikes i dont know if he cant upgrade or does not want to. i will say the 3s here are faster than in other states i have lived but still. seriously its all a matter of specialization and what you train for on the flip side put shcleck or contador in any activity involving pure muscle power now there would be pure comedy.

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
if anything the mental state of top endurance athletes is similar to that of special forces soldiers. in fact sometimes the navy has recruiting programs that target bike races tris marathons etc.. as they look for strong mental state more than anything else and endurance sport fits the bill.

A

Anonymous

what a strange thread. Sounds to me like a drunken seal has told all his mates he could win the tour de france and is now looking for intelligent verification of his claim.

Is this 200mile course flat, hilly, or what...?