• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who would you like to see in the rainbow jersey on Sunday?

Among those who actually have a halfway decent shot of winning, who would you be most happy to see become world champion this year? Anyone you don't particularly want to win?

There are plenty others I'd be happy with but I guess I'd be most thrilled to see GVA, Valverde, Terpstra, or Uran win - all riders I like who have good one day race pedigrees and who haven't worn the rainbow stripes. Also, if any of the above win it's very unlikely it was a big sprint finish which I don't want to see, particularly since that's what we're most likely to get next year. Purito would be good too, but I just don't see it on this course.

I'd really rather not see Degenkolb, Kristoff, Kwia, or Gilbert.

Valverde? After two years ago, if he wins, I would literally be fuming.

I would like Kwia (because he will probably race fore Sky next year), Purito (though unlikely) Alaphillipe

If it is a sprint finish I would't mind Kristoff tbh

Allthough I really like Valverde and enjoy his all year round great performances I can not forget what he did to purito 2 years ago. So that's why I rather not see him become WC. Allthough that would perfectly fit in Purito's career.

Anyone who can prevent a bunchsprint is someone who I like to win. preferably someone who neverbecame WC before.

Breschel, for purely nationalistic reasons.

Also think it could be kinda fun if Guldhammer takes it, for similar reasons and two others:

1: He was a last-minute adition to the team, only becoming a part after Fuglsang declined his spot. Pretty much everyone thought it was ridiculous that he wasn't included at first.

2: He'll be riding a Pro-Conti team and not a WT team next year.

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
Re: Who would you like to see in the rainbow jersey on Sunda

jaylew said:
(...)
I'd really rather not see Degenkolb (...).

I think a lot of people on this board will agree with you, but I actually disagree. I wouldn't mind seeing him wear the rainbow.

His Paris-Roubaix win was impressive, as he certainly didn't steal the win there. He counter-attacked with De Backer, continuing alone to bridge the gap to and neutralizing the attack of Van Avermaet and Lampaert. When those two, understandably, refused to work with him, he didn't sit up and still managed to win the seven man group sprint. He simply was the or at least one of the strongest riders in Roubaix.

That said, there are plenty of other riders who I wouldn't mind winning the jersey.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Re: Re:

Flamin said:
Fernandez said:
VALVERDE. He will blow everyone apart at the last lap´s hills. Valverde in rainbow stripes is something of heaven justice.

Valverde will be around 30th position as usual going into the hilly section.

But he will be the first one at the end of the 3rd hill ;)

Re: Who would you like to see in the rainbow jersey on Sunda

jaylew said:
There are plenty others I'd be happy with but I guess I'd be most thrilled to see GVA, Valverde, Terpstra, or Uran win - all riders I like who have good one day race pedigrees and who haven't worn the rainbow stripes.

I'd really rather not see Degenkolb, Kristoff, Kwia, or Gilbert.
Why would anyone want this????????????????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TRENDING THREADS