• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who's your favourite team and why?

May 6, 2009
Visit site
I wouldn't really have one. If I were Basque though, then I guess I would support Euskaltel Euskadi, because they would be the nearest team in cycling that would feel like a local team for me. it's not like football, or the NBA, that if you are from the town/city that has a local team/franchise then I could support a team.

There is no real team rivalry amongst the fans, ok the Germans spat on Lance and the USPS team, as well as Jens Voigt in 2004. But CSC were also helping Lance win so that Basso could get the best treatment (which sadly did not work) at the time for his mother.

I never had a favourite team, just a lot of favourite riders, until a couple of years ago when I realised that five of my favourite riders where on the same team, so I suddenly had a favourite team. CSC, now Saxo bank, soon to be goodness knows what!!

Jens, cause he's Jens :D
Stuey, cause he's gutsy, incredibly so
Fabian, love watching him tt
Andy, great rider and seems like a really nice guy in his interviews
Frank, cause he's amazing to watch, real elegance on a bike...

So Saxo Bank.

But I still have other favourite riders too ;)

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Skil Shimano...I have known van Hummel since he was 5 and he is my favorite rider!! I also like the stance they have taken (for a long time) on rider development and their anti PED stance.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
BMC. Cadel and partially George Hincapie. Also like their philosophies of the team and how they run the team.

If Cadel joined Footon Cervetto or a team with Ricco in it, then that would be your favourite.:D

Care to share the team philosophy at BMC with us? As you know, we all don't follow Evans as closely as you do. What is the scoop?

I like Caisse, Astana and Rabo most. Been that way for 4-5 years now. Don't mind Euskatel, Saxo, Cervelo or Garmin either. I appreciate what they all bring. Like seeing the French teams compete in France. Neutral for all the others. Even the Shack and Sky. But I do wish to see both choke at some stage. Wait, Sky did that the other day. :p Sorry, I meant on a bigger scale. It is more or less personalities I dislike

A

Anonymous

Like others, never really had a favourite team..

was pdm in the 80's but that was mainly down to kelly, was pretty much favourite riders, not teams after that.. Had a slightly liking for barloworld when they where starting out, Vino's astana, there where a lot of riders at csc/saxo, so yeh, no favourite teams, just favourite riders.

Changes now with team sky obviously, like most brits we see it as our team, although it is helped by the fact that they signed many of my favourite riders, cummings, geraint and John lee from barloworld, EbH obviously, Russ Downing, CJ etc.. BUt when it comes to roubaix I would still rather george won than sky..

About the only time we are team supporting is domestically when its the boys in black at rapha, but even that is confused by Malcolm Elliot riding for candy.

A

Anonymous

Galic Ho said:
Care to share the team philosophy at BMC with us? As you know, we all don't follow Evans as closely as you do. What is the scoop?

I completely misread that, i thought you said he followed cadel around with a scoop..

I had images of auscyclefan excitedly showing visitors to his house his cadel-sh** collection..

A

Anonymous

Lones1 said:
I never had a favourite team, just a lot of favourite riders, until a couple of years ago when I realised that five of my favourite riders where on the same team, so I suddenly had a favourite team. CSC, now Saxo bank, soon to be goodness knows what!!

Jens, cause he's Jens :D
Stuey, cause he's gutsy, incredibly so
Fabian, love watching him tt
Andy, great rider and seems like a really nice guy in his interviews
Frank, cause he's amazing to watch, real elegance on a bike...

So Saxo Bank.

But I still have other favourite riders too ;)

I'd go along with that. Don't have a favourite team but like the Schlecks and Cancellara, so Saxo have a bit of a soft spot. The kit's not bad either. And the SL3 is quite tempting!

A

Anonymous

I don't have one. I guess the closest I can come to having one is Garmin, but JV makes it hard for me to put any voracity into my support.

I hope George wins P-R...but I have been hoping that for what seems like 30 years, and so there will be no holding of the breath.

Gotta say that I root against Sky. Its the American thing to do...:) My real hope is that we take that "EASY" headline, and shove it down the Brits throats on June 12th.

A

Anonymous

Thoughtforfood said:
I hope George wins P-R...but I have been hoping that for what seems like 30 years, and so there will be no holding of the breath.

Its my fault im afraid.. :/ I have wanted the Dolphins to win the superbowl since 1982

It varies alot depending on the riders. I tend to follow teams with swedes and norwegians and usually I end up rooting for all riders of those teams a little. That's probably also because those teams get a little more focus in the swedish and norwegian media and when following specific riders you also get to know the other riders on those teams better as well.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Strangely enough BBOX Bouygues Telecom is the team I "follow" most. They have a very positive attitude to racing, and often are major animators in stage races. They don't win a lot and almost nothing outside of France, so when the wins come, they are cherishable. Fédrigo and Voeckler are among my favourite riders in terms of approach and personality right now, and I think that Rolland and, to a lesser degree, Bonnet have big futures ahead of them. JR Bernadeau is also possibly the most interesting of the men managing in cycling today.

BBT seems to be fairly drug free in relation to the most of the peloton, and more focussed on development than winning at all costs. Their connection with Vendée U seems to be a vital part of the make-up of the professional formation, and it ties them into Systeme U who had a good old side in the 1980s that I used to have much time for, outside the teams with Irish riders.

Did I mention that they got f***e* by UCI. Is that not another reason to love this team?

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Teams that have Brits, Scandinavians, and Aussie/NZ/commonwealth bike riders, i realise that is a lot of teams!
mainly Sky i suppose but also Columbia because they are so ruthless, you have admire them and i will follow Tony martin's progress this year - such a gutsy rider for them and the guy just rides himself into the dust every time.

A long time ago, my favourite team was Mapei. Then USPS in 1999. Now I'd say I don't really have one, although I have liked watching the cast in CSC/Saxo Bank race, so they would be a team I follow. Garmin is another, because there are a few riders on that team who I like to see race.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Cervelo Test Team and HTC-Columbia. I like the way they develop young riders and they always make races exciting. I also think it's cool that they both have women's teams.

I like Garmin for the riders, but JV seems to negate any enthusiastic support I may have.

I honestly can't say that I dislike any team, but Cervelo and HTC are the teams I want to see most successful.

Long time fan of Reynolds/Banesto/Caisse D'Epargne since days of Delgado and Indurain. Now with Valverde, Soler, Cobo and the young guns of Rigoberto Uran and Rui Costa they're continuing in their steady elite level of performance and talent.

Euskatel-Euskadi since Roberto Laiseka won their first Tour stage and heightened my curiousity about the team enough to investigate its background and origins. Been a big supporter and fan ever since with its pinnacle being 2003 with Mayo and Zubeldia climbing with the best in the world at the 2003 Centennial Tour.

Liquigas originally because they switched to Cannondales but now even more so with the development of Nibali and Kreuziger. Bennati who I hope recovers his 2008 form to successfully battle with the best sprinters in the world. Plus I'm probably one of a chosen few who actually like their kit.

I'm rooting for Astana and Contador because inspite of his enormous talent, his current circumstances seem to have made him an underdog of sorts or should I say a sentimental figure in the sport. Additionally I'm rooting for Oscar Pereiro to return to the form he was displaying just before his horrible crash. He's a class act who deserves the best.

Rabobank because of Oscar Freire (and before his move to Sky, Juan Antonio Flecha). Their strong development program has brought some of the brightest stars in to the pro ranks and their long history at the top of the sport is something that I admire.

Lately I've been rooting for Cofidis and their young guns of Taaramae, Moinard, Monier, Pauriol, El Fares and their old coot Moncoutie.

Lastly Gianni Savio's latest team: Androni-Giacottoli. Actually all of his teams from the past decade have been one's that consistently caught my eye with their aggressive riding that almost always lead to positive results. I love the style of his teams. When Simoni joined them I was in heaven, shortlived as it was.

Speaking of Simoni, I'm a supporter of any team he's on, even if its Rock Racing! Well... uhhh...I'll support them and root for them if Simoni is racing!:p

I could never like or dislike a cycling team, it isn't like football or baseball. Cycling teams are so emphemeral how does one work up any emotions about a team? But liking or disliking certain riders I can understand, but the way the riders get shuffled around a team could have several guys you like and several you don't.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Don't think I'd call myself a fan of any team, in a way I'm a fan of teams in other sports. I'm more of a fan of riders regardless of what team they ride for, at the moment Gilbert, Flecha, Gesink and Pozzato(plus a rather good GC guy) are among those I find myself rooting for.

TRENDING THREADS