Why does Wiggins get more favoritism than Menchov? Look a their resumes.

Jul 20, 2010
247
0
0
I don't get it. If we look at resumes we can clearly see that Menchov has done more than Wiggins up to date. Not to take away anything from Wiggins because he is an amazing talent, but the media doesn't seem to even acknowledge Menchov at all. All I here is Wiggins this, and Cadel that. What about the people's champion aka the Silent Assassin. Denis Menchov is arguably one of the greatest riders professional cycling has ever seen, and if he wins this year he could go down as the best cyclist of all time.
 
Jun 16, 2009
19,657
0
0
SilentAssassin said:
I don't get it. If we look at resumes we can clearly see that Menchov has done more than Wiggins up to date. Not to take away anything from Wiggins because he is an amazing talent, but the media doesn't seem to even acknowledge Menchov at all. All I here is Wiggins this, and Cadel that. What about the people's champion aka the Silent Assassin. Denis Menchov is arguably one of the greatest riders professional cycling has ever seen, and if he wins this year he could go down as the best cyclist of all time.
Greatest riders professional cycling has ever seen? Really?

Menchov has shown very little form recently, is inconsistent, flies under the radar because of his team, personality etc and because he is Russian.
 
Jan 11, 2010
12,582
0
0
auscyclefan94 said:
Greatest riders professional cycling has ever seen? Really?

Menchov has shown very little form recently, is inconsistent, flies under the radar because of his team, personality etc and because he is Russian.
This, mostly. The cycling media, even on the European mainland, are obsessed with Anglophone riders and teams. Maybe because their tweets are so easy to translate.
 
May 12, 2010
1,998
0
0
SilentAssassin said:
I don't get it. If we look at resumes we can clearly see that Menchov has done more than Wiggins up to date. Not to take away anything from Wiggins because he is an amazing talent, but the media doesn't seem to even acknowledge Menchov at all. All I here is Wiggins this, and Cadel that. What about the people's champion aka the Silent Assassin. Denis Menchov is arguably one of the greatest riders professional cycling has ever seen, and if he wins this year he could go down as the best cyclist of all time.
You drunk? Wouldn't even make it in the top-10.

Why does Wiggins get more attention? Well, as you say, Menchov clearly has the better palmares, but if you look just at the last 12 months, Wiggins is doing a lot better. Winning the Vuelta in 2005 is great, but of little relevance today. It's obvious why people have more faith in Wiggins delivering in 2012 than Menchov.

Aside from that, Menchov has the charisma of a shrimp. It's hard to think of a guy more boring than him. Although Wiggins is by no means a rock star, he is at least a little interesting. After that you get a positive feedback loop: you're an interesting guy, media starts paying attention to you, you get more hyped, become a bigger star, the media starts paying more attention to you etc. etc.
 
Jan 11, 2010
12,582
0
0
Lanark said:
Aside from that, Menchov has the charisma of a shrimp. It's hard to think of a guy more boring than him. Although Wiggins is by no means a rock star, he is at least a little interesting. After that you get a positive feedback loop: you're an interesting guy, media starts paying attention to you, you get more hyped, become a bigger star, the media starts paying more attention to you etc. etc.
If Wiggo spoke only Russian and Spanish (and just a little English) you'd be saying the same about him.
 
May 27, 2010
5,376
0
0
Nah wiggo has as much charisma as menchov has.
GC riders like alberto, andy, nibali and maybe even evans have more charisma.
 
Menchov hardly ever makes himself available to the media. He may be big news in Russia but he does not self promote or even promote his team. No doubts about his quality as a rider but it's been quite a while since he showed it unlike Wiggins. Menchov and probably Leipheimer are the forgotten GC riders of this year's Tour at least as far as the non specialist cycling media is concerned. Sanchez as well. In Spain, Sanchez and Valverde probably get good coverage ?
 
Aug 18, 2009
4,993
0
0
Yep Menchov is on paper the better GT rider. I can't follow Russophone media, but I do know English speakers have a strong bias toward similar riders which I find tiresome - an obstacle when trying to look at the cycling scene realistically. It's arrogance.

I suppose when Wiggins team is owned by a media group, they're going to know how to push their boy down everyone's throat.

To be fair in week long races Wiggins has been clear no.1 this year, so much of the attention is deserved. But the bias is so annoying.

edit - and the OP is wildly oversating the importance of Menchov winning this Tour.
 
May 12, 2010
1,998
0
0
theyoungest said:
If Wiggo spoke only Russian and Spanish (and just a little English) you'd be saying the same about him.
Not really, besides, Menchov's English is fine nowadays. But you don't need to be fluent in a language to show you have a personality. There are tons of other ways to show you aren't a complete bore. Sagan or Vinokourov weren't from English-speaking nations, but everyone loves (or used to) them. There are dozens of other riders who don't or barely speak English and are hyped to heaven by the media. Wiggins certainly isn't oozing with personality, but riders who are as boring as Menchov are quite rare, the above mentioned Leipheimer is one of the few other examples.
 
Aug 18, 2009
4,993
0
0
TBH we're meant to be hardcore cycling fans. We should be able to see the athlete behind the persona. Leaving to one side obfuscation by pharmacological stuff.
 
Oh look, another Wiggins bashing thread.
Jeez, this place is getting very repetitive and tiresome.

As for the OP.
+1 to what taiwan says.

Oh and Evan's dog has more charisma than Evans.
(though what that has to do with cycling ability, I know not)
 
May 27, 2010
5,376
0
0
Mellow Velo said:
Oh look, another Wiggins bashing thread.
Jeez, this place is getting very repetitive and tiresome.

As for the OP.
+1 to what taiwan says.

Oh and Evan's dog has more charisma than Evans.
(though what that has to do with cycling ability, I know not)
I have hardly seen much wiggins bashing thread. Most of the threads are pro wiggins or just discussing about wiggins.
 
Mar 29, 2011
5,123
0
0
they are just the same non-attacking climbers and wiggins is a much better better time trialist currently. with these squads, time trials is a resultant сomponent of this tour. and naturally a rider cannot be popular riding in menchov's style. i for myself cannot root for such riders. they don't inspire and can't make one take an interest in cycling.

in short, wiggo's really a bit hyped but it has overly little to do with menchov.
 
Jul 6, 2011
824
0
0
It might also have something to do with the fact that Wiggo has won Paris-Nice and Critérium du Dauphiné this year...
 
Lanark said:
Why does Wiggins get more attention? Well, as you say, Menchov clearly has the better palmares, but if you look just at the last 12 months, Wiggins is doing a lot better. Winning the Vuelta in 2005 is great, but of little relevance today. It's obvious why people have more faith in Wiggins delivering in 2012 than Menchov.
Menchov never even bothered about prep race which is a shame because he has all the qualities to win them. Wiggins on the other hand won 3 one-week races because he dominated the ITT (Romandie in particular was a joke) which is hardly surprising and is of little relevance to his duel against Menchov. People act like Wiggins is going to put at least 3 minutes into every GC contender because of his results in the prologue and the prep races but it won't be the case for Menchov. He is such an underrated time triallist it is not even funny (look at the Sestri Levante - Riomaggiore I.T.T. for example) : when he is in a GT for the win, he usually is the best time triallist of the GC contenders and he just did the best prologue of his life. Wiggins will be lucky if he takes significant time out of Menchov in the time trials and even if he dies I doubt he can hang to this advantage on the mountains.
One has multiple GTs and Tour podiums while the other one is yet to podium the Tour, I know who I am backing for the Tour.
 
Wiggins has had the best season of all the GC contenders. Thats pretty unarguable. Menchov, by his standards, has done little the last 18months or so.

That explains the difference before you even think about language or "charisma".
 
Jun 28, 2012
798
0
0
For past years, you have a point, but here's their results since January 1st in common events:

Paris-Nice: Wiggins 1st, Menchov DNF7, with Wiggins finishing ahead of Menchov in every stage both participated in.

Volta a Catalunya: Menchov 11th, Wiggins DNF3, with the two riders splitting stages one and two.

Tour de Romandie: Wiggins 1st, Menchov DNF1, with Wiggins finishing ahead of Menchov in the prologue.

Criterium du Dauphine: Wiggins 1st, Menchov 42nd, with Wiggins finishing ahead of Menchov in every single stage.

Any further questions?

Edit to add: And I don't have a dog (or a gear-ring) in this fight.
 
Jun 8, 2011
630
0
0
Is this thread serious? Wow.. Check the results for Wiggins in the past year and then check the results of Menchov and then come back... By your logic, why aren't you making a thread of why is Basso considered as a less favourite than Evans?
 
Yes i agree he has a far better road palmares,But he hasnt shown anywhere near the same form recently as what Brad has.And to be Honest its been a while since he has been showing us his Giro form"Brad and Cadel deserve to be the Favourites.
 
Jan 11, 2010
12,582
0
0
Lanark said:
Not really, besides, Menchov's English is fine nowadays. But you don't need to be fluent in a language to show you have a personality. There are tons of other ways to show you aren't a complete bore. Sagan or Vinokourov weren't from English-speaking nations, but everyone loves (or used to) them. There are dozens of other riders who don't or barely speak English and are hyped to heaven by the media. Wiggins certainly isn't oozing with personality, but riders who are as boring as Menchov are quite rare, the above mentioned Leipheimer is one of the few other examples.
But Wiggins isn't a Sagan or Vinokourov. If it weren't for his deadpan presentation to the media, which is only funny if you understand British humour, would he really be considered a real personality? What's Wiggo's equivalent of this:

 
May 30, 2009
109
0
0
LaFleur said:
Is this thread serious? Wow.. Check the results for Wiggins in the past year and then check the results of Menchov and then come back... By your logic, why aren't you making a thread of why is Basso considered as a less favourite than Evans?
Yes, do repeat the Carlos Sastre 2008 mistake. :p People looked at all iTTs where Carlos no longer was in competition for the overall win and missed the one where he actually rode for the win. The same way people only focused on Cadel's second the year before and forgot how Saster had constantly been in top 10 (moving to top 5) minus that previous year.
No, victories in one week races tell nothing about 3 week races, especially not TdF, where they ride so much harder.
What is important is the shape Menchov shows now, because we know that when in shape, Menchov is a damned good time trialist and a better climber than Fränk Schleck.
The biggest problem Menchov is going to face is his preferred way of saving energy. While the competitors sit aware in the front, he prefers to rest in the middle of the peloton, with the dangers there goes with it. Menchov has more than once been caught by cross-wind attacks and crashes, but if he's lucky enough to avoid those then he will be a clear competitor for the podium.
 
Aug 18, 2009
4,993
0
0
Azabael said:
It made me even more surprised when he left the team.
If only we knew actual reasons behind certain actions.
From the outside, prolly wasn't getting the respect he deserved because they wanted someone young and Dutch. More or less the same thing that happened to Evans. I'm speculating. Nationalism really is one of my pet hates.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY