• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Question Wide tires on small rims

Jan 27, 2020
Visit site
So i've been riding 28c tires on my roadbike for some time and a friend of mine is still rocking old 23c on 13c rims(to my knowledge/ Rigida 18 from the 90s)on his roadbike. His tires a bassically toast now and as he, liking the more comfortable 28c on my bike, could get 28s from a friend for free, we were wondering if they would fit the rim. Brake and frame clearance is not a problem, but to my knowldege 13c rims, if they are, are only supposed to fit up to 25C. The question I have now is, if anybody has actually tried this setup and if it really does make alot of difference, as I think 15c rims can fit up to 33c tires. I just wanted to ask if anybody actually has got experience with this before going on a trip and noticing some long way from home that it just doesnt work.

They'll fit, but they may balloon out a bit and cause the bike to feel a bit weird when cornering. 2 times the inner rim width is a good rule of thumb for maximum tyre size and some brands make 26c tyres (Panaracer do the Race C Evo 4 in a 26c and the Gravel King as well. I think they even do an Gravel King SK in 26c but I've never actually found any for sale).