• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Wiggo's Desert Island Discs

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Nice selection by the Knobfather. Thought it would make a good thread.

I Am The Resurrection by The Stone Roses
The Queen is Dead by The Smiths
That's What I Like by Chas & Dave
Reasons to Be Cheerful Part III by Ian Dury and the Blockheads
Rock n Roll Star by Oasis
Sympathy for the Devil by The Rolling Stones
Cosmic Dancer by T Rex
Sound and Vision by David Bowie

Here's mine:

I Feel Fine The Beatles
Nowhere Man The Beatles
Angel Jimi Hendrix
I Shot The Sheriff Eric Clapton
William It Was Really Nothing The Smiths
Modern Love David Bowie
Californication Red Hot Chili Peppers
Wicked Little Town Hedwig & The Angry Inch

Opine away.

Anything by the Smiths is boring

Anyway here's mine

Freebird - Lynyrd Skynyrd
Sultans of Swing - Dire Straits
Don't look back in anger - Oasis
Under the bridge - Red Hot Chilli Peppers
Leyla - Derek and the dominoes
Fake Tales of San Francisco - Artic Monkeys
Hurt - Jonny Cash Version
Wish You were here - Pink Floyd

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Re:

del1962 said:

Anyway here's mine

Great taste - we'd get along fine; yet how can you appreciate Oasis and Arctic Monkeys without crediting the brilliance of The Smiths?

It probably belongs in the music thread, but I can see why a separate topic. Nice to see The Smiths on yours and Wiggo's lists, though I think Meat is Murder is their best album.

Surrealistic Pillow by Jefferson Airplane.
I Could Live in Hope by Low.
Willy and the Poor Boys by CCR.
Ghosts of the Great Highway by Sun Kil Moon.
Music From Big Pink by The Band.
Selling England by the Pound by Genesis.
Ed Bruce by Ed Bruce.
Sun Giant (EP) by Fleet Foxes.

And a thousand others. If I could.

Del, I recon some of those are tracks not discs? :p

Re: Re:

Stingray34 said:
del1962 said:

Anyway here's mine

Great taste - we'd get along fine; yet how can you appreciate Oasis and Arctic Monkeys without crediting the brilliance of The Smiths?

Just could never get into the Smiths - Oasis and the Arctic Monkeys are just more upbeat

BigMac said:
It probably belongs in the music thread, but I can see why a separate topic. Nice to see The Smiths on yours and Wiggo's lists, though I think Meat is Murder is their best album.

Surrealistic Pillow by Jefferson Airplane.
I Could Live in Hope by Low.
Willy and the Poor Boys by CCR.
Ghosts of the Great Highway by Sun Kil Moon.
Music From Big Pink by The Band.
Selling England by the Pound by Genesis.
Ed Bruce by Ed Bruce.
Sun Giant (EP) by Fleet Foxes.

And a thousand others. If I could.

Del, I recon some of those are tracks not discs? :p

Alway used to buy albums back in the day :) :)

Re:

BigMac said:
Wait, reading back... I thought discs meant full albums :eek:. Nevermind, won't clog the thread no more.

Yeah it probably does mean full albums, when it first started and for quite some time Desert Island Discs was mostly about classical music though, kind of BBC Radio4 looked down on popular music, Wiggo's playlist would probably cause the original presenters to turn in their graves

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Actress-Splazsh
Charles Mingus-The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady
D'Angelo-Brown Sugar
The Diplomats-Diplomatic Immunity
Mark Kozelek & Jimmy LaValle-Perils From The Sea
Modest Mouse-The Lonesome Crowded West
Outkast-ATLiens
Ryan Adams-Heartbreaker

Stingray34 said:
Yeah, I've always liked that part of Wiggo. Not quite sure the thread belongs in this section though :)

Anyway:
Superunknown - Soundgarden
Disraeli Gears - Cream
Dog Man Star - Suede
Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band - The Beatles
Aenima - Tool
Dirt - Alice In Chains
Grace - Jeff Buckley
Led Zeppelin II - LZ
Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd
Rage Against the Machine - RATM

Edit: Just realised we were talking songs :eek:

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Full albums - I'm committed to that medium - digital be damned!

I'll have a bash!

Rubber Soul The Beatles
The White Album The Beatles
Layla and other Assorted Love Songs Derek and the Dominos
Live Via Satellite from Hawaii Elvis Presley
Pinnups David Bowie
Hatful of Hollow The Smiths
The Stone Roses The Stone Roses
Californication Red Hot Chilli Peppers

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Cance > TheRest said:
Stingray34 said:
Yeah, I've always liked that part of Wiggo. Not quite sure the thread belongs in this section though :)

Anyway:
Superunknown - Soundgarden
Disraeli Gears - Cream
Dog Man Star - Suede
Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band - The Beatles
Aenima - Tool
Dirt - Alice In Chains
Grace - Jeff Buckley
Led Zeppelin II - LZ
Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd
Rage Against the Machine - RATM

Edit: Just realised we were talking songs :eek:

No problem - nice selection: we'll need albums in the Carribbean! Happy to move this to appropriate setting - I suggest Moga Moga

Here's two versions of my Desert Island Discs.

The Downbeat Version
Chris Bell - I Am the Cosmos
Buffalo Springfield - Expecting to Fly
The Byrds - Goin' Back
Cowboy Junkies - Misguided Angel
Lisa Gerrard - Sanvean
Low - Sunflower
Red House Painters - Katy Song
Simon & Garfunkel - Kathy's Song
Richard & Linda Thompson - Withered and Died
Neil Young - Ambulance Blues

The Upbeat Version
Big Star - September Gurls
The Go-Betweens - Love Goes On!
New Order - Regret
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - Walls No. 3
The Primitives - Crash
The Records - Starry Eyes
Squeeze - Pulling Mussels From the Shell
The Sundays - Summertime
Teenage Fanclub - Sparky's Dream
Yo La Tengo - Tom Courtenay

And obviously millions of other songs. Damn, I'm old - the newest song is the Low song from 2001. Hmm.

Disclaimer: The downbeat songs aren't necessarily lyrically downbeat, and the upbeat songs aren't necessarily lyrically upbeat. Most of them are probably downers to be honest. But who cares?!

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Good article on The Wiggo on Cyclingnews today. Now that he's no longer a SKY apparatchick I'm really warming to him. He's always had great taste in music.

His latest interview is very Hendrix, "Hey Brother, really outta site here; no buttons to push; I got an hour record waiting for me in a laundromat; skuse me while I swear a lot..."

King Boonen said:
It is not and, as far as I'm aware, has never been albums. It's always been single pieces of music as the aim is to use the pieces of music to discuss the persons lives.

If so, then mine can be (but to be honest I'm still not sure what this/the show all about at all):
Strawberry Fields Forever (The Beatles)
Tangled Up in Blue (Bob Dylan)
Time (Pink Floyd)
Don't Go Back to Rockville (REM)
Solitude Standing (Suzanne Vega)
Stockton Gala Days (10,000 Maniacs)
Anna Begins (Counting Crows)
Hummer (Smashing Pumpkins)
Even Flow (Pearl Jam)
The Other Side of Summer (Elvis Costello)

Re:

gunara said:
King Boonen said:
It is not and, as far as I'm aware, has never been albums. It's always been single pieces of music as the aim is to use the pieces of music to discuss the persons lives.

If so, then mine can be (but to be honest I'm still not sure what this/the show all about at all):
Time (Pink Floyd)
Even Flow (Pearl Jam)

It's a British radio show that has been going since the forties. The aim behind it is the songs people pick will in some way relate back to specific times in their lives. This then allows discussion about the guests life and provides links to it that many can relate to. For instance, I might choose Groovejet (If This Ain't Love) as a song as it was released the first summer I ever went on holiday without my parents. My choosing this song and discussions about why would allow for conversation about that period of my life. The music doesn't have to be related to specific time periods though, that's just an example. I may also choose Paranoid by Black Sabbath as it was the first thing I learned to properly play on electric guitar.

So in essence the aim is not just to pick a list of favourite songs, it ties in with the idea that certain things elicit emotional responses or trigger memories for us and that this is the kind of thing we may want if abandoned/lost on a desert island. The island isn't meant to to be populated or have loads of creature comforts, it's a castaway situation.

Some good choices there :)

King Boonen said:
gunara said:
King Boonen said:

Time (Pink Floyd)
Even Flow (Pearl Jam)

It's a British radio show that has been going since the forties. The aim behind it is the songs people pick will in some way relate back to specific times in their lives. This then allows discussion about the guests life and provides links to it that many can relate to. For instance, I might choose Groovejet (If This Ain't Love) as a song as it was released the first summer I ever went on holiday without my parents. My choosing this song and discussions about why would allow for conversation about that period of my life. The music doesn't have to be related to specific time periods though, that's just an example. I may also choose Paranoid by Black Sabbath as it was the first thing I learned to properly play on electric guitar.

So in essence the aim is not just to pick a list of favourite songs, it ties in with the idea that certain things elicit emotional responses or trigger memories for us and that this is the kind of thing we may want if abandoned/lost on a desert island. The island isn't meant to to be populated or have loads of creature comforts, it's a castaway situation.

Thanks for the explanation, I more or less got it right then, some of the songs are more 'important' at some point of life rather than favorite.

Interested to know your complete pick, KB

Gouge Away--Pixies
The Wagon--dinosaur jr
Shiftless when idle--The Replacements
Mayonaise--Smashing Pumpkins
Political song for Michael Jackson--Minutemen
Holiday in Cambodia--Dead Kennedys
Ellis Unit One--Steve Earle
Funk 42--Sam Bush
China cat sunflower-->I know you rider--Grateful Dead Providence Civic Center 6/28/74
Just like Tom Thumb's blues--Nina Simone

King Boonen said:

Thanks for the introduction. Will try to get it right this time :) . Having to find songs that resemble or remind you of certain experiences/feelings you've had over the course of your life is always a difficult task, as there are so many to choose from! I reckon the task will only be harder the older you get ;)

Maybe I'm amazed - Paul McCartney
Time - Pink Floyd
Together - Suede
I Wanna Be Adored - The Stone Roses
Stage Fright - The Band
Tales of Brave Ulysses - Cream
Good Times Bad Times - Led Zeppelin
Brothers in Arms - Dire Straits
Fade Away - Blur
Fell on Black Days - Soundgarden

Cance > TheRest said:
I reckon the task will only be harder the older you get ;)

How old were you when Time made it to the list? :D Me, maybe I took this song too seriously, lol, only had a crush on it when I turned 30, although the guitar solo had killed me long before.
Dirt and that giant Superunknown, were all over my early 20s, just can't make up my mind which song to pick from them