• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Will someone please shut Rob Hatch up......!!

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Hatch, Kirby, Lloyd, Kelly and McEwen all have thir strengths, and are all pretty good, when used at the right time. Blythe, less so. Let's face it, listening to any commentator for 6 hours, day after day, we're going to find things that annoy us, peak Richie Benaud excepted.

Weirdly, Hatch's Lancashire accent, and it is pretty thick, has come out at times this Giro. There was one instance where he may have thought he was off air, when it was full on. He does actually try to tone it down during commentary, in an attempt to make more palatable.

May 26, 2022
Visit site
Imagine if a French or Italian commentator put on a cockney accent or scouse accent to talk about a British cyclist. Honestly Rob Hatch May well be bilingual, good for him, but he is English and should stick to enunciating in English and stop with the Italian accent.

Reactions: HelloDolly
Imagine if a French or Italian commentator put on a cockney accent or scouse accent to talk about a British cyclist. Honestly Rob Hatch May well be bilingual, good for him, but he is English and should stick to enunciating in English and stop with the Italian accent.
It's called enunciating words correctly. I'm sure if you had the equivilant of Rob Hatch with a native language of german or italian but can speak several languages either fluently or professionally well, then they'd do the same for english, french, spanish, etc. Doing it in a scouse or cockney accent isn't same as pronouceing a german name the german way. He just does it in what would be High German and the german equivilant of Hatch would pronounce a british name in the equivilant in 'High' English.

It's not like he's commenting entire races in the accent of the country in question. He's just... pronouncing riders' - and locations' - names correctly. The Danish commentators do that too. Just today the commentator for Mayenne corrected himself in the pronunciation of Sergio Roman Martín, having initally pronounced the 'Martín' in the French way. And don't mispronounce an Italian rider's name in front of Rolf Sørensen.

BTW, talking about Martins; it just feels more natural to pronounce that name in a French manner, after a name like "Guillaume".

It's called enunciating words correctly. I'm sure if you had the equivilant of Rob Hatch with a native language of german or italian but can speak several languages either fluently or professionally well, then they'd do the same for english, french, spanish, etc. Doing it in a scouse or cockney accent isn't same as pronouceing a german name the german way. He just does it in what would be High German and the german equivilant of Hatch would pronounce a british name in the equivilant in 'High' English.

I didn't know that Phil Bauhaus is pronounced Bawhaws in High German.

Imagine if a French or Italian commentator put on a cockney accent or scouse accent to talk about a British cyclist.

Well, Hatch doesn't pronounce Italian names in a Neapolitan or Florentine accent either. He uses standard Italian pronunciation and he's pretty good at it, so I don't really see what the big problem is. In my eyes learning to pronounce someone's names well (especially if you are doing it in a professional setting, and even more so if you have a background in their language) is a welcome sign of respect.

The average monolingual listener could use the occasion to educate themselves, so that obscenities such as "KNEE-tso-low" or "YOU-lissy" may be avoided. :)

Phil and Paul were absolutely horrendous. Phil knew nothing about cycling. And decades later, he appeared to know even less. And World Cycling Productions made money off of Armstrong. Why they were shills for the greatest sporting fraud.

the GCN gang, though not perfect, is in a completely different league.

i could totally do without Wiggins. Who adds ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. and literally every time they turn to him he mentions Ineos or Ineos riders.

Reactions: Carrick-On-Seine
Phil and Paul were absolutely horrendous. Phil knew nothing about cycling. And decades later, he appeared to know even less. And World Cycling Productions made money off of Armstrong. Why they were shills for the greatest sporting fraud.

the GCN gang, though not perfect, is in a completely different league.

i could totally do without Wiggins. Who adds ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. and literally every time they turn to him he mentions Ineos or Ineos riders.

And Orla is much better than Gary Imlach. He got elbowed out of his American Football gig but still does cycling for ITV I understand.

Reactions: Big Doopie
Orla's studio mob are a bit nervous/anxious and laugh hysterically at things that are not remotely funny.
They sometimes also make the same mistake Gary Lineker does on Match of the Day, ie. getting insufferable when indulging in 'the banter' of talking about their own times as pros.
However, overall I don't suffer the agonies of some on here listening to the GCN/Eurosport commentary, which is now worldwide with the likes of Lance Armstrong and Chris Horner remarking on it.
With GCN's domination what has happened to Phil Liggett? Does anybody employ him anymore? Is a TdF broadcaster going to take him on board?
I fear for the lad........seriously.

Last edited:
Reactions: geisterhome

TRENDING THREADS