• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Will someone please shut Rob Hatch up......!!

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Especially considering that they have assembled a quite good team over the years. The rest of them are the best I've seen on TV wrt to cycling, even if I quite like Rolf and Ritter as well.

I don't listen to forhjulslir, but from what I've heard on Eurosport, Mielke is top notch as well.

Mielke is great. The problem is that on his podcast, his cohost is Per Bausager, and while Bausager does have a great grasp on cycling and understands it very well, his voice is just not good.

Regarding Holm and his weird takes: Yesterday, shortly before the finish: "If Vacek wins this, it will be the best stage of the whole Giro". Said without a shade of irony. While the rest of the world knew that the stage was the worst Grand Tour stage in years. The man is so weird.

He's exhausting me. I need the rest day.
I've been trying to think of a worse lead commentator in any sport ever, but can't. There's no emotion there, it's just shouting and whelping, the occasional whisper as he tries to build up tension where none will obviously occur, rolling out some stat he's just pulled off PCS, pronouncing stuff in an OTT way and going "oh no, no .no , NO!" when he mistakes a mechanical for a crash.
GCN keep ignoring my emails about him and Blythe so I'm going to take it to the top and email Eurosport suggesting they swap him with the people who do indoor rock climbing.

May 11, 2023
Visit site
I complained about Hatch on this thread last week. Later, I realized I was too harsh. I've given a fresh listen to his Giro commentary over the past few days. He does do a fine job most of the time and the excessive volume and hyper-drama during attacks, crashes, finishes, etc. is surely because he loves the sport and gets possessed by his excitement in those moments.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I complained about Hatch on this thread last week. Later, I realized I was too harsh. I've given a fresh listen to his Giro commentary over the past few days. He does do a fine job most of the time and the excessive volume and hyper-drama during attacks, crashes, finishes, etc. is surely because he loves the sport and gets possessed by his excitement in those moments.

I know what you mean ..he loves the sport and is knowledgeable about the sport
But so do I but that doesn't mean I am a good commentator

His comms wear you down...and its very difficult to listen to

Does he? He's a failed football commentator and has done other odd jobs for the BBC during the Olympics. So he's probably just slipped down the rungs to what must be one of the worst paying sports to commentate on.
He shows no passion. Just shouting, whispering or whelping and his historical knowledge is poor beyond Coppi.
Also it might be nice for him to have some knowledge of the country's culture that he hasn't lifted from guidebooks. And that annoying banter about no cappuccino after 11am and no pineapple on pizza can f right off.

TRENDING THREADS