• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Will someone please shut Rob Hatch up......!!

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I don't mind Hatch, but this Giro he's made some big mistakes. Calling out wrong riders, not noticing crashes, little errors etc. Yesterday according to him Thomas had salt on his shorts. He (Thomas) has said numerous times he uses PR Lotion for TT efforts. It was clearly that as nobody else had salt residue on their kit.

Then he sounded like he was about to cry when Rogostomp happened.
Whilst I'm sure he's made the odd mistake, he's generally better than the rest of the GCN team when it comes to rider identification.

Just to clarify; did he not know right from the beginning, or did he lose track of which riders had dropped out?
Or did he right from the beginning lose track of which Jumbo riders had dropped from the startlist before they even started?

he was naming riders who were never in the race, couldn't identify Nico Denz on the front of the peloton after he had already won two stages. couldn't think of guys' names who had been in the breakaway all day. there's probably more things ive erased from my memory.

Reactions: RedheadDane
Ughhh....the end of the stage today....Hatch become unbearable.

theres 3hrs of Simon Brotherton commentating on the BBC Iplayer, which I guarantee will change your mind on that :)

if you cant get a bit misty eyed and hyperbolic to see G lead out Cav for a sprint win like that, after this Giro especially, wheres your emotional heart :)

I liked that Hatch went full on with that finish, because it probably deserved it for once.

Reactions: lemon cheese cake
Rob & the team must be reading this thread. Why would Dan so profusely praise Rob otherwise today? Poor guy. :tearsofjoy:
It was a bit weird, like Hatch was just doing his job, it's not like he's done anything out of the ordinary. I must admit, Hatch wasn't as annoying as usual in this years Giro, focused on the racing and didn't do his usual overreaction whenever a rider fell off like he sometimes does.
Although I must say, him calling Jumbo Visma the 'killer bees' was starting to grate on me.

It was a bit strange that he didn't manage to calculate what time Thomas needed to finish in but just said that "it looks like it will not be enough", when the time had already passed. A bit too focused on the pathos there.
Agreed, go and watch Phil Ligett when commentating the final TT in the 1989 TDF, he straight away told the time he needed to be faster than and counted down.
It didn't help that there were no graphics giving us a countdown or a time he needed to beat. I remember there being one when Tom Dumoulin beat Quintana in 2017.

theres 3hrs of Simon Brotherton commentating on the BBC Iplayer, which I guarantee will change your mind on that :)

if you cant get a bit misty eyed and hyperbolic to see G lead out Cav for a sprint win like that, after this Giro especially, wheres your emotional heart :)

I liked that Hatch went full on with that finish, because it probably deserved it for once.

I dislike Thomas, I dislike when commentators say G, I dislike Cavendish. So I was anything but misty eyed.

Agreed, go and watch Phil Ligett when commentating the final TT in the 1989 TDF, he straight away told the time he needed to be faster than and counted down.
It didn't help that there were no graphics giving us a countdown or a time he needed to beat. I remember there being one when Tom Dumoulin beat Quintana in 2017.
Any decent announcer would do that. A few seconds after Roglic crossed the line the French Eurosport announcers had announced the time Thomas would need, and repeated throughout the next several minutes.

If I remember correctly the countdown with Quintana was actually wrong because he missed that countdown by only 10s or something when he lost that Giro by 31s.

Reactions: Sandisfan
yes its Simon Brotherton whose commentating style is to read out procycling stats and say things like "her teammates are the ones behind in the multi coloured jerseys...".
That's what happens when you get somebody who only commentates on cycling occasionally - and is more likely to be heard at a football match. Saying that, he's not bad, and could be pretty good if he did it regularly.....

Nicole Cooke ("Knee-coal Kok", it sounded like, but maybe that's the way they pronounce it in the Valleys, he's the expert on accents).
At least he manages to pronounce place names from his own country correctly. The man on Ride London Classique duties kept referring to Maldon (1st syllable should be as in maul, or the Mall in London) with a short a (rhyming it with pal) when talking of the main venue for stage 2.

If you don't know (which is reasonable), just ask someone rather than guess and be supremely confident in that guess.

Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS