will uci renew astanaÂ’s license?

will uci renew astana’s license?

  • no

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    0
  • Poll closed .
Sep 25, 2009
7,527
1
0
will uci renew astana’s license?

we have 3 days left. i say they'll get by this time.
 
Aug 19, 2009
612
0
0
So, if they don't get renewed for full PT status is there any hope in hell that they'd get wildcard status? Probably not. If they don't get wild card status... is there any point in continuing with a team? Probably not.

I say the UCI plays hardball to sinks the team, and hopes that AC can swim.
 
Sep 25, 2009
7,527
1
0
Publicus said:
I hope that they don't, but fear that they will.

i hear your sentiment but wouldn't it be less disrupting for cycling if we learn they got it and no more uncertainty with where contador goes.

though i agree that the current astana is not likely the best option for him.

conta-vino-gibo trio is a fascinating combination.
 
FWIW, Rumpf has confirmed there will be 18 PT teams next year.

Can the UCI afford to sink another pro cycling team, given that new team sponsors are so hard to come by?
Do they want to risk Contador sitting out the season?...
...Well, maybe they do, I don't know.

After all, with LA/JB and the Shack sorted. Pat Mc has no more reason to attack Astana.
All the have in the negative column is Vino, who has already served and returned.

Saunier Duval survived worse.
 
Oct 6, 2009
22
0
0
Mellow Velo said:
Can you tell? I'm pinching your posts again.:eek:

That's coz I'm your hero having got Lance all angry that one time.

I think the UCI have installed a regime they're happier with at Astana. And I think Pat probably wants to keep a "global" feel to the sponsors.
 
I voted yes although I fear it is a trick question since as others have pointed out they are not actually up for renewal this year. However I assumed that a yes vote is the same as saying they won't be stripped, so thats how I voted because that's what I think will happen (or not happen).
 
Hugh Januss said:
I voted yes although I fear it is a trick question since as others have pointed out they are not actually up for renewal this year. However I assumed that a yes vote is the same as saying they won't be stripped, so thats how I voted because that's what I think will happen (or not happen).

Good grief ... too much of the inside voice :D
 
Mar 16, 2009
19,482
1
0
Tour de France director Christian Prudhomme is in Les Herbiers today. He was interviewed at length this morning on Radio des Nations (link at right) on multiple topics, including Alexandre Vinokourov (in the race today) and the reduction in TTs at the Tour. On the subject of Vino, Prudhomme said "Vinokourov cheated, he served his suspension, and now he is back. That's life." This might be an indication that A.S.O. may not try to bar Vino (Astana) from the Tour. That remains to be seen and first Astana need to retain their ProTour license
 
krebs303 said:
Tour de France director Christian Prudhomme is in Les Herbiers today. He was interviewed at length this morning on Radio des Nations (link at right) on multiple topics, including Alexandre Vinokourov (in the race today) and the reduction in TTs at the Tour. On the subject of Vino, Prudhomme said "Vinokourov cheated, he served his suspension, and now he is back. That's life." This might be an indication that A.S.O. may not try to bar Vino (Astana) from the Tour. That remains to be seen and first Astana need to retain their ProTour license

Apparently AC has been given assurances that he'll be invited to the 2010 TdF, regardless of which team he is on.
 
Publicus said:
Apparently AC has been given assurances that he'll be invited to the 2010 TdF, regardless of which team he is on.
In a way, that would seem fair. Even if it would be something new, even for this specific rider, race, and team.
A reigning champ has no business being in any other than a good team, it's a bit up to him, you could say. I would invite him, even if he showed up with a bunch of cycling friends, on a national team license, in a former milk man van turned team bus. A real champ may prefer a team, but doesn't need it to shine on his own.
 
Aug 6, 2009
1,901
1
0
Cloxxki said:
In a way, that would seem fair. Even if it would be something new, even for this specific rider, race, and team.
A reigning champ has no business being in any other than a good team, it's a bit up to him, you could say. I would invite him, even if he showed up with a bunch of cycling friends, on a national team license, in a former milk man van turned team bus. A real champ may prefer a team, but doesn't need it to shine on his own.

I agree, he derserves a decent team, but there are several teams that the Tour would miss less than AC supported by, to steal an image from another poster, 8 bears on unicycles.
 
Aug 3, 2009
131
0
0
I don't see how the UCI can pull Astana's licence now. It is not the same as the non-renewal of BBox-Bouyes or Cofidis. Astana seem to have sorted out the financing and management structure issues that were the UCI's (legitimate) bones of contention and so taking any action against Astana now, they would be leaving themselves open to months (years?) of legal wrangling in the courts of god knows which country (I suspect it would be Switzerland but it depends how the contract is written, tort law is funny like that).
 
Jul 14, 2009
2,498
0
0
The fact that they test ballooned the idea of Vino being part of their management. The fact that they were unable to meet their financial obligations 3 times in one season are reasons that they should be denied. Their home country is the site of no UCI activity and produces a high doper rate per capita makes them the stinky ex commies that they are. Their system produces every kind of doped athlete . Alberto if you have any smarts, hire a lawyer and get out of this **** organization, you missed one tour because of them. This team is a fraud and should be sent back to drill for oil and gas where they belong.
 
fatandfast said:
The fact that they test ballooned the idea of Vino being part of their management. The fact that they were unable to meet their financial obligations 3 times in one season are reasons that they should be denied. Their home country is the site of no UCI activity and produces a high doper rate per capita makes them the stinky ex commies that they are. Their system produces every kind of doped athlete . Alberto if you have any smarts, hire a lawyer and get out of this **** organization, you missed one tour because of them. This team is a fraud and should be sent back to drill for oil and gas where they belong.

You say communist like it's a bad thing.
 
Jun 18, 2009
1,086
1
0
Cloxxki said:
In a way, that would seem fair. Even if it would be something new, even for this specific rider, race, and team.
A reigning champ has no business being in any other than a good team, it's a bit up to him, you could say. I would invite him, even if he showed up with a bunch of cycling friends, on a national team license, in a former milk man van turned team bus. A real champ may prefer a team, but doesn't need it to shine on his own.

Or... maybe in his brother's car?! :rolleyes:
 
Sep 25, 2009
7,527
1
0
luckyboy said:
How many people actually believe that a conglomerate of gas and oil companies didn't have enough money to pay for the wages of a cycling team?



If you're gonna go by that, then how do Spanish and Italian teams get licenses? :rolleyes:

and since you started it how come their liberal democracies produce so many dopers compared to those stincking former commies? fatandfast must be viewing cycling from his pentagon window or something.
 
We can only exclude teams, and not riders, and it would out of order to ban contador's team when he's defending champion twice, so I'm resigned to having Vino around as the price for letting Alberto ride.
Christian Prudhomme.

Now, does that sound like Astana are going to have their licence pulled?
On what grounds?
Bruyneel has departed and with him will have gone all those mysterious financial problems.
McQuaid has got nil cause and thats about the sum of it.
 
Oct 15, 2009
179
0
0
Moondance said:
You say communist like it's a bad thing.

Then it's likely that he thinks that it's a bad thing. Anyway it's funny how doping becomes the consecuence of a system which predicates cooperation, rather than of a system based on competition. Maybe I'm missing something there?

Oh! I think that I get it, Floyd Landis and Tyler Hamilton are dirty commies yeah!

Anyway, it seems that Astana will get a license.
 
Jun 19, 2009
139
0
0
Mellow Velo said:
Do they want to risk Contador sitting out the season?...
...Well, maybe they do, I don't know.

Prudhomme didn't seem to mind too much.

But does AC's contract lock him in even if Astana is locked out?

He could, of course, end up literally anywhere - even the Shack - if he got a release.

The question is what Vino would do if his team got dumped.