Winter Jerseys - Is Sportwool up for the task?

Is Sportwool up to the Task

  • Partially

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    0
  • Poll closed .
Dec 15, 2010
6
0
0
Does anyone have solid experience wearing sportwool or technical merino wool blends during this cooler time of the year?

Does it layer well with Lycra and or Poly?
 
Aug 4, 2009
1,056
0
0
The australian national team jersey started off as mareno wool I still have one in my colection.
OK but nothing too fuss about they keep you dry in hot weather so may also work well in cold weather .

That was all we could get in the 1960's but back then they needed a little research because when it rained they would hang down around your ankles.

Good for wool industry and will kill off the cheap junk from China. But its hard to get all the advertising on wool .

dont get lycra burns when you fall off so no need for under garment in hot weather .
 
Aug 16, 2009
323
0
0
Wool is my favorite winter material. Smartwool (100% merino) is my favorite, especially as a baselayer, but I think they may have quit making them in the US, as one I got my son recently was made in Vietnam. I have a 50wool/50polly sportwool Campagnolo jersey (got a deal), and it is a nice winter jersey, but not as nice as my 100% merino pieces.
 
Mar 10, 2009
1,384
0
0
Cervo Rosso said:
Does anyone have solid experience wearing sportwool or technical merino wool blends during this cooler time of the year?

Does it layer well with Lycra and or Poly?
See Rapha. Go phish. :mad:
 
Aug 4, 2009
1,056
0
0
we have tons of merino sheep out here you will get warm and fit trying to catch one and skin it for the BBQ.
nice eataing.
No serious the farmers run around the sheep padock and slit their throats and skin them fresh meat. tender lamb chop or Sundat roast.
But the real deal is in the wool.its very fine and makes good quality clothing .
The more wool they sell the cheaper the meat. Yes it is very good in hot weather and cold as previously stated its good because I dont need underlay in hot weather to prevent lycrya burns,
it is not wet after training so must be also warmer.
 
Sep 12, 2010
10
0
0
I use lots of merino wool jerseys, Smartwool, Icebreaker and Orca and love them. When it is below -3 or so, I use a synthetic baselayer, then 1 or 2 layers of merino, then a super-roubaix jacket. if it is really windy or really really cold, I can add a rain/wind jacket.

I used them in the summer in Norway too.
 
Mar 31, 2009
51
0
0
OK for general riding, but tends to hold too much moisture when working hard for my liking - the cold, clammy feeling when you stop can chill and doesn't wick-away. Fine for the likes of commuting because it doesn't create a stink for the journey home.
 
Mar 13, 2009
571
0
0
Monty Dog said:
OK for general riding, but tends to hold too much moisture when working hard for my liking - the cold, clammy feeling when you stop can chill and doesn't wick-away. Fine for the likes of commuting because it doesn't create a stink for the journey home.
That is old more the old style wool
The tech stuff is quite simply the best product you can get in my opinion
More as a base layer, that is not because of warmth (wet or dry) and ability of it to wick sweat, it is more because I have not got any tops to compare to and I feel stretching would be an issue if you load up your pockets, which doesn't happen with a base. Since I bought my first Merino base I haven't bought any thing else, and I only wear my synthetic "technical" fabric ones when I don't have anything clean.
The only other issue, I need a short sleeve T shirt with a zip to wear with arm warmers for mild-cold!
 
Mar 31, 2009
51
0
0
Notso Swift said:
That is old more the old style wool
The tech stuff is quite simply the best product you can get in my opinion
More as a base layer, that is not because of warmth (wet or dry) and ability of it to wick sweat, it is more because I have not got any tops to compare to and I feel stretching would be an issue if you load up your pockets, which doesn't happen with a base. Since I bought my first Merino base I haven't bought any thing else, and I only wear my synthetic "technical" fabric ones when I don't have anything clean.
The only other issue, I need a short sleeve T shirt with a zip to wear with arm warmers for mild-cold!
My apologies, I thought the OP was referring to 'winter riding' where you ride in termperatures below 0 degrees not bimble around in warmers and a gilet :D
 
Dec 17, 2010
123
0
0
While Merino wool cycling apparel has it's advantages. Like for instance, it can be worn directly against the skin without causing irritation, staying warm when wet. Renowned for being odorless after weeks of use and highly breathable it also has it's disadvantages such as being rather expensive, slow to dry and has a rather short wearable life, compared to it's synthetic counterpart, which is cheaper, quicker drying and longer lasting.
 
Mar 10, 2009
1,384
0
0
Monte Zoncolon said:
While Merino wool cycling apparel has it's advantages. Like for instance, it can be worn directly against the skin without causing irritation, staying warm when wet. Renowned for being odorless after weeks of use and highly breathable it also has it's disadvantages such as being rather expensive, slow to dry and has a rather short wearable life, compared to it's synthetic counterpart, which is cheaper, quicker drying and longer lasting.
I have no experience of merino/smartwool base layers having short life spans. I'm lucky enough to have a couple of original Rapha merino base layers which are now 4 years old. Admittedly, they were expensive but average 100+ days of wear each per year. I knew that they would get a lot of use - 400 uses each item and no sign of them losing their shape or thinning. Seams double stitched and intact. I consider them excellent value for money. :confused:
 
Mar 13, 2009
571
0
0
Monty Dog said:
My apologies, I thought the OP was referring to 'winter riding' where you ride in termperatures below 0 degrees not bimble around in warmers and a gilet :D
I am talking about every thing from -5 to +20, I have a zipped long necked long sleeve, vest and a crew neck Tee, what I want is a tee with a zipped neck to fill the gap on those days when you go out in the morning on a clear 7 or so, but it is 15+ when you come back
 
Dec 17, 2010
123
0
0
LugHugger said:
I have no experience of merino/smartwool base layers having short life spans. I'm lucky enough to have a couple of original Rapha merino base layers which are now 4 years old.
Rapha Apparel is indeed very high quality. Referring to Merino Wool as having a rather short wearable life, I mean that it has a rather short wearable life in general, after rigorous use, compared to it's synthetic counterpart which the general consensus will tell You last's longer, depending of course on the quality of the brand.
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Cycling Gear & Accessories 5

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS