• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Official Wouter Lambertus Martinus Henricus Poels thread.

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 19, 2011
Visit site
DBotero said:
Bad conditions today for a guy so thin,he's resemblance with Froome is clear.

Yes they trained together for a quite lengthy time in the winter. And least SKY training to lose weight is still working well.

Made up a few places in the final TT and in the end a 7th place which no one expected (Froome and then König were the designated captains). Good for him since he said he turned down the offer to help Porte at the Giro. He wanted to ride the Tour and this result should increase his chances of getting a roster spot for July.

Luke Rowe ‏@LukeRowe1990 1h1 hour ago

Ya reckon @WoutPoels had a hard day today ?

2ez08jo.jpg

Poels is, like Porte, very inconsistent in his mountain performances, so he would not make a great leader for a GT.
He has these brilliant days like today and yesterday though which make him invaluable as mountain domestique.

In a role as leader I'd rather see him going for stages. Save energy on bad days and go into the attack on good days. He could do like Rolland or Bardet that way

His performances over the past 2 days have been superb and have pretty much justified Sky signing him on the last 2 stages alone. With Porte moving I had a feeling Froomes support would suffer but the performances of G and Poels have shown they will be key men for Froome over the next 12 months.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
He usually has 1 or 2 days in a GT when he's a monster on steep climbs, just look at the 2014 Giro and the 2011 Vuelta.
He's not the most consistent rider in a GT and really suffers cold weather, but he's an awesome domestique and could be a great stagehunter in a GT.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
I think he found his niche as mountain domestique. He's not consistent enough to be a leader and is very prone to offdays. But as said above, he is a monster on steep climbs when on a super day
Agree with this, personally he would be the best for mountain stages hunting,but thats occasional.

I notice after today's win Poels was congratulated on Twitter by the SEG Racing team, Thomas Dekker, Laurens ten Dam, and Lieuwe Westra. Is the Dutch peloton particularly close-knit/friendly with each other?

On the other hand he was also congratulated by Nicolas Roche, Geraint Thomas, Tosh van der Sande, Carlos Verona, Beñat Intxausti, Ian Boswell and Ben Swift, so is he just especially popular?

Re:

TMP402 said:
I notice after today's win Poels was congratulated on Twitter by the SEG Racing team, Thomas Dekker, Laurens ten Dam, and Lieuwe Westra. Is the Dutch peloton particularly close-knit/friendly with each other?

On the other hand he was also congratulated by Nicolas Roche, Geraint Thomas, Tosh van der Sande, Carlos Verona, Beñat Intxausti, Ian Boswell and Ben Swift, so is he just especially popular?

He seems like a nice, smiling guy too.

He has a good shot at doing something on Mur de Huy.

Re:

TMP402 said:

He seems like a very nice guy but not particularly popular compared to some other riders

Lots of pros congratulate each other when they win