• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Official Wouter Lambertus Martinus Henricus Poels thread.

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
I still don't think he's suited. For almost 2 weeks straight he was let to do nothing at all and just sit for 3rd week, no other team aside Sky could afford doing that.

If he was to lead GT from stage 1 he'd be found out as he was in the past, but it's interesting topic.

Can't belive. When Froome attacked at first only Quintana could follow and then Poels came back up. Then he set so high pace that he dropped Quintana before Froome joined with Porte. But he wasn't done, then he decided to tow Mollema to the finish as well.
This is not possible because he can't be so much better than other GC conteders.

Re:

ice&fire said:
I don't get why people is surprised about Poels performances. He was ahead of Froome in Angliru 2011. He's become worse since then.

Amasing rides in last week of the tour this year and last year but still not imo a 3 week GT winner ...but maybe top 10/15 ( as inconsistent)

Hence better in one day tough races

Must be up there as a fav at the Olympics ....and with Mollema and Dumoulin as helpers ....he is very strong

Re:

ice&fire said:
I don't get why people is surprised about Poels performances. He was ahead of Froome in Angliru 2011. He's become worse since then.

He has been doing a lot of work in the past few mountain stages and seems to be stronger than most of the GC riders. The only difference is that GC riders who he is beating are not pacing the peloton for kilometers up the climb so how he can keep this up is beyond my comprehension.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
And hype is on :) Today he was great but that was only day at this Tour so far, other days he was ok, but nothing special and yet other days he sucked.

But he's skinny as ****, when I saw his arms next to Mollema it was huge difference. Maybe that's reason why he isn't good consistently.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Re: Re:

RattaKuningas said:
He has been doing a lot of work in the past few mountain stages and seems to be stronger than most of the GC riders. The only difference is that GC riders who he is beating are not pacing the peloton for kilometers up the climb so how he can keep this up is beyond my comprehension.
And he has been resting in TT and other mountain stages where GC conteders were going full gas. So far only second stage where he really done someting.The first stage everybody accepted his pace no problem except for TJ, who is done as we could see. But yeah, hype hype...

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Nothing new you call that? lol

When did he do something similar like that before he joined sky? And with like that i mean being the 3rd best climber in the biggest race of the year

Apr 15, 2016
Visit site
Re:

Miburo said:

When did he do something similar like that before he joined sky? And with like that i mean being the 3rd best climber in the biggest race of the year

he looked fresh as a daisy when he let Froome and Porte go , he looked like he could have left both for dead if he felt like it

Re:

Miburo said:

I remember him doing very well on Zoncolan in 2014, but that performance pales in comparison to the one today. Its definitely not the standard

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site

Valv.Piti said:
Miburo said:

I remember him doing very well on Zoncolan in 2014, but that performance pales in comparison to the one today. Its definitely not the standard

Poels was 2nd on the Angliru back in 2011 outclimbing Froome himself. Also was 2nd strongest on the Zoncolan as you said.

He was definitely inconsistent but I don't think people can say he hadn't shown anything before Sky. That's just not true at all.

Quite a few posters were saying he looked terrible in most of the Dauphine and also the first week of the Tour, he's obviously been saved for the 2nd half of the Tour as that's where Froome needs him.

Today was a very strong performance though, could he do it over 3 weeks? I'm not so sure he could.

Re:

Kokoso said:
And hype is on :) Today he was great but that was only day at this Tour so far, other days he was ok, but nothing special and yet other days he sucked.

But he's skinny as ****, when I saw his arms next to Mollema it was huge difference. Maybe that's reason why he isn't good consistently.

Ha ha ha ...he is bette than Leo Konig who you hype all the time

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Miburo said:

He always had 2 or 3 days in a gt when we was one of the strongest on really steep climbs (Vuelta 2011, on the Angliru with Froome and in the 2014 Giro dropping Aru on the Zoncolan)
He was never that consistent, but right now he allready had his 3 days, so usually he shhould be weaker for the rest of the race, if not than he has really taken it to the next level...

Mayomaniac said:
Miburo said:

He always had 2 or 3 days in a gt when we was one of the strongest on really steep climbs (Vuelta 2011, on the Angliru with Froome and in the 2014 Giro dropping Aru on the Zoncolan)
He was never that consistent, but right now he allready had his 3 days, so usually he shhould be weaker for the rest of the race, if not than he has really taken it to the next level...

I'm going to keep my eye on his performances on stage 19 and 20 and see if he is as strong as he was today in those stages as well. If there is no drop in performance then it would be incredebly surprising because the domestique work which requires him to ride fast pace in front of peloton for kilometers should have an effect.

Re:

Miburo said:

He's only 28. Poels did similar last year when he and Porte probably won the Tour for Froome on the Alpe. And Poels does not need to reproduce that form day after day like team leaders. He's over an hour down on GC so that's a hell of a lot of energy he's been conserving for days like this. I am not a Sky fan but I don't find his performance particularly unbelievable.

HelloDolly said:
Kokoso said:

Ha ha ha ...he is bette than Leo Konig who you hype all the time
Still awaiting the amazing Kreuziger as well.

Or maybe Kokoso has already gone over to hyping Jan Hirt?

TRENDING THREADS