• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Official Wouter Lambertus Martinus Henricus Poels thread.

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re: Re:

HelloDolly said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Too bad for Landa, but I think he doesn't have a chance to lead the Giro next year.
Sky basically owes it to Poels now. And Landa has not been delivering as he should. Maybe Vuelta leader next year.. not Giro I think

Vuelta too hot for landa

I am not sure poles will deliver a result at GT leader but he does deserve a chance

maybe co leader
Co leader would be a good option.
I know that Froome wants to ride the Vuelta, but I think that Poels deserves a protected role, the Vuelta could be a great gt for him.

Mayomaniac said:
HelloDolly said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Too bad for Landa, but I think he doesn't have a chance to lead the Giro next year.
Sky basically owes it to Poels now. And Landa has not been delivering as he should. Maybe Vuelta leader next year.. not Giro I think

Vuelta too hot for landa

I am not sure poles will deliver a result at GT leader but he does deserve a chance

maybe co leader
I know that Froome wants to ride the Vuelta, but I think that Poels deserves a protected role, the Vuelta could be a great gt for him.

I don't see Poels leading this years Vuelta for many reason esp as he wll be knackered to give it a good shot plus not targtted in schedule
Needs time to prepare so next years Giro is the race

Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
Waut Poels is dating my next door neighbours sister (who happens to work for SKY) and I do know that he'll be in London next week and preparing for the Olympic Road Race. He's also hoping to be riding the Worlds and the Tour of Lombardy.

With a little bit of manoeuvring on my part, I'm hoping to meet with him on Thursday evening at my neighbours BBQ.

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Re:

London Hibs said:
Waut Poels is dating my next door neighbours sister (who happens to work for SKY) and I do know that he'll be in London next week and preparing for the Olympic Road Race. He's also hoping to be riding the Worlds and the Tour of Lombardy.

With a little bit of manoeuvring on my part, I'm hoping to meet with him on Thursday evening at my neighbours BBQ.

Fun for you!! :D Lombardy would be a good race for him, think the Vuelta might be a bit much after all the work he's done in the Tour. But for sure he deserves leadership in next year's Giro.

HelloDolly said:
Mayomaniac said:
HelloDolly said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:

Vuelta too hot for landa

maybe co leader

I don't see Poels leading this years Vuelta for many reason esp as he wll be knackered to give it a good shot plus not targtted in schedule
Needs time to prepare so next years Giro is the race

Poels' preparation for the summer has been in sync with Froome. 3rd week of the Tour + Rio. So in that sense there is no reason Froome would be fully prepared for the Vuelta and Poels couldn't be.

Re:

Bardamu said:
If Poels wins Lombardia and Olympic Road Race, will he be the best rider of the year? (Very big if, but he has a good shot to win either)

If a rider wins 2 monuments and the Olympic RR he is hands down the best rider of the year. Being the best domestique at the tour would just be a nice filing :cool:

Richeypen said:
Bardamu said:
If Poels wins Lombardia and Olympic Road Race, will he be the best rider of the year? (Very big if, but he has a good shot to win either)

If a rider wins 2 monuments and the Olympic RR he is hands down the best rider of the year. Being the best domestique at the tour would just be a nice filing :cool:
I really see it happening. I am getting hyped for Poels for the rest of the season.

Jun 22, 2015
Visit site
Re:

London Hibs said:

what? are you serious?? haha

yaco said:
TMP402 said:
I wonder if we'll see Sky riders helping each other in the Olympic RR...

It will be all out for Froome at the Olympic RR. I worry about the TT because he will be competing against riders who will take it easy in the RR.

You mean Froome will go all out for the win, or "sky riders will go all out for Froome"?

I'm sure Sky riders/team mates won't kill each others chances (like we see often at the Worlds') but if you think Poels is starting as Froome's dom you couldn't be more wrong...

Bardamu said:
Richeypen said:
Bardamu said:

I really see it happening. I am getting hyped for Poels for the rest of the season.
I wouldn't. Poels is only really a frontrunner if he is on a good day. And that's very debatable with him. Can have a bad day for no apparent reason. In the TDF he had continious good days because he did nothing in the first week.

Even in a one day race his form of the day might not be there. If he wins one of them it will already be great. His season is a success anyway after winning LBL

Jun 22, 2015
Visit site

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Bardamu said:
Richeypen said:
Bardamu said:

I wouldn't. Poels is only really a frontrunner if he is on a good day. And that's very debatable with him. Can have a bad day for no apparent reason. In the TDF he had continious good days because he did nothing in the first week.

Even in a one day race his form of the day might not be there. If he wins one of them it will already be great. His season is a success anyway after winning LBL

true!!!!!

Not denying his inconsistency throughout his career, but he has definitely become more consistent since joining Sky.

He's 28 and lost almost 2 years of competitive racing after a horror crash. I'd say it's a bit soon to put a definitive label on him. He wanted to peak in the spring classics if only to earn a spot in Rio. 1st in LBL and 4th in FW. He needed/wanted to peak in week 3 of the tour and Rio. He was perhaps the best climber in week 3 of the tour...

Let's see how he does in Rio before we dismiss him...

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Bardamu said:
Richeypen said:
Bardamu said:

It is mainly dreaming, but I do think it is possible. With Sky he upped his consistency quite a bit and his main focus of the season was Rio. If he is in form there are few to beat him in this selective course. He also has a winning mentality. Still easier said than done ofcourse.

Re:

Red Rick said:
What, you can't hope when he's proven to be great on good days? Then we are truly hopeless

Well sure you can hope. Dude you can hope all you want. I certainly hoped as well, but when he got dropped it was like " bad day Poels " and moved on. Hoped for another dutchie, but alas...it was not meant to be.

With cycling I don't need dutch riders to be at the front to enjoy it. Hell a Purito win would've atleast been as enjoyable as a dutch win for me.

That's one the things I like about cycling. I dont have a facourite team or whatever so I can enjoy any form of great cycling. Well ofcourse I prefer riders and dislike riders and if Majka won today I probably would've been a bit sour, but I can put that to the side quite easily.

I used to be a big footbalfan. Ajaxfan and it all depended on how ajax performed, well football is in the past for me. I Rather go to the theatre if I want to see theatre, but when I watch it now I enjoy any good football of any team or player. Much more enjoyable and I think choosing a team becoming a fan of it is just to irrational for me. It just makes no sense.

TRENDING THREADS