• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Official Wouter Lambertus Martinus Henricus Poels thread.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
He suffered a horrible crash in the Tour, and tried to keep riding with broken kidney and lung.

Will he rise up again to be a future GC contender?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Red Rick
Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Vino attacks everyone said:
are every half decent climber getting their own thread? :p

this guy put real effort today.

he managed to pull back uran. so yeah. he deserves a thread.

also, remember that he has been stellar this season. his inclusion has added positively to OPQS. so why not a thread for him.

At least now i have a thread to say, what a TT by Poels.

and what a ride in today's stage. he was clearly strong today.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
murali said:

also, remember that he has been stellar this season. his inclusion has added positively to OPQS. so why not a thread for him.

Even more so for coming back to such a good level after his crash a few years ago.

Glad to see him doing so well. :)

May 19, 2011
Visit site

Lol, there is a little science behind it. If he tried to keep riding with broken lung and kidney, that means his pain tolerance is unusually high. Being a GC rider is all about how much more pain you can suffer compared with other people.:eek:

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
murali said:

I find it hard to believe what is called stellar these days.

Anyway he's riding very well and it's hard not to like him.

It's funny so many people think his official name is Wouter.

In no way, shape or form is his name Wouter. It's Wout Poels. That's his birthname, real name, registered name, calling name, whatever.
Yet, so many stupid organisations, like RCS, suddenly make it Wouter on the official registration form of a race.

So once and for all. His name is Wout Poels.

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Poels is one of my favourites since 2011 Vuelta. If that injuries would've not been a problem for him he would've had his thread a long time ago. However his move to a strong team like Omega seems the right decision. Next year he should be their leader in a big tour!(or maybe he will lead in this year Vuelta if Rigo is not in form)

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
It's funny so many people think his official name is Wouter.

In no way, shape or form is his name Wouter. It's Wout Poels. That's his birthname, real name, registered name, calling name, whatever.
Yet, so many stupid organisations, like RCS, suddenly make it Wouter on the official registration form of a race.

So once and for all. His name is Wout Poels.

The Eurosport commentators here in Romania always call him Wouter Poels. At one point I thought I'm the one who makes a confusion.

May 17, 2014
Visit site
ItalianGigolo said:
The Eurosport commentators here in Romania always call him Wouter Poels. At one point I thought I'm the one who makes a confusion.

Yeah, Romanian commentators also said that Oscar Gatto is a very good climber and Puccio is a pure sprinter...:eek:

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
PirazziAttacksVino said:
Yeah, Romanian commentators also said that Oscar Gatto is a very good climber and Puccio is a pure sprinter...:eek:
Yaeh, they do some big mistakes some times but they are pretty entertaining to listen compared to romanian commentators from other sports...

May 17, 2014
Visit site
ItalianGigolo said:
Yaeh, they do some big mistakes some times but they are pretty entertaining to listen compared to romanian commentators from other sports...

Agree. They're really funny. Which is a good thing because I hate Sean Kelly's bland style of commentating.

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site

He must be more than a half decent climber to be second at Angliru ahead of Wiggo and his Dawg. And unlike Andy Schleck, he's delivering after his crash. I know, I know... you can't fill pages of posts telling jokes about Poels :D

But actually I think he's better suited to the role of super domestique then as leader.
The few times they actually do put him as leader, he falters. And he has always had inexplicable bad days in GT's all around. Even before the fall.

Still hope he can pick up a stage win though, that would be cool, even if difficult with working for Uran and all

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Really strong ride, and it's really good he rides in service of someone else. As a GC contender, he's got to many bad days and he's too fragile. But riding for Uran will make him stronger, and perhaps give him the more confidence and power to fullfill wat many think he can do: perform in hilly one day races.

TRENDING THREADS